Air suspension

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Shuismo, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

Hello,
    How much lift should you expect when using air suspension.
    We fully deflated the bellows took measurement from the ground then inflated them to seven upon measuring we only had a diffence of 2 centimetrersnot a lot I think you will agree anyone with info

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

What make air suspension do you have?

Our AS system only gave around 35mm to start with but Phil fitted some spacers which have given us another 25mm approx

3. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

As

Thank you for your reply, it seems our AS is the same as yours. When we took measurements we deflated the system fully which I considered the first reading to be zero at this level from the ground. Then we inflated the bellows to between 7 & 8 bars and took another reading which registered 20mms lift. Is this what I should expect, or is this not the correct way to measure?

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

You might find, after a drive, the air will heat up, increase in pressure and give more ride height. This will settle again once things cool though.

5. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

its not realy for lift only for stability . you need higher spring rating for lift . lifted mine 5 ins with re bent springs + 2 all round for a lot more ground clerance . :Wink: stan

6. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

I have Air Ride at the back (similar system) and I get about 5cm difference.

7. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Are you measuring at wheel arch or rear bumper as there is a big differance?

8. mentaliss

mentaliss

I agree, the Dunlop information I received when I fitted mine is absolutely not about ride height more to do with spring rebound, stabilizing the rear when corning, also noticed when passing a 'train' of juggernounts yes you can increase the height but that's really controlled but the springs, after all the original Bump stops did not control the axle height:Wink:

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

supplemental air suspension as is retrofitted to motorhomes merely replaces the bump stops. therefore it will hardly increase ride height, it just limits the amount it compresses by. in other words it firms up what is already there:thumb:

10. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

As

Thank you everyone for the input, it seems we were under the wrong impression, we thought AS would give us rear wheel lift as some of the adverts inferred. Thanks again