Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Hi guys
My air suspension has had a catastrophic failure and cannot be repaired.

I can't afford to replace it at the moment and wondered if it's safe to drive as it is and if not what should I do with it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What sort of catastrophic fail. There is not that much to go wrong with them.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It could be something as simple as a valve failure in which case a tyre valve core can be fitted very quickly. Other than that it may a union has come loose or a burst pipe but airbags themselves are pretty robust items

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Redjumpa

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Both airbags are split and I can't source replacements due to their age. I've been told the only option is to fit a complete new system. Maybe I need a second opinion?

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
From my memory of the Hymer (I used to run a 694) the manufacturer's suspension would not have been air and so, I suspect, your air bags are an after market add on to improve the ride and possibly increase the load capacity.

If yours has not been 'up plated' to carry more load due to the addition of the air suspension, and the broken parts are not in any way causing problems (perhaps best to remove them), you can run without as you would still have the original suspension.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The one problem there may be is that when the Air suspension was fitted the original suspension bump stops may have been removed. If you are not going to replace the bags you may have to refit bump stops.

Lunarman

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
they do not need to cost a fortune

They do not need to cost a fortune...

I imported mine from the USA from airlift and a complete system with compressor and a remote control system cost me a few pence over £300.00 over here it was over double. But firestone make a system as well as others.. it is a case of looking about.. You will be able to fit lift bags to replace what you had I am sure they come in all sizes and shapes.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Both airbags are split and I can't source replacements due to their age. I've been told the only option is to fit a complete new system. Maybe I need a second opinion?

Deffo :thumb: you can buy new bags seperatly :thumb: indeed all parts can be sourced seperatly
terry
edit you should be able to drive your van with the normal pre fitted suspension - prob just a bit more body roll than you are used to

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back