chirpychimp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
researching
Exp
Hi There! I don't have a MH at the moment but am dedicating myself to researching before purchasing.
I have seen a number of posts here, there and everywhere regarding updating MH's to air suspension. I can see the logic in this, in enabling better handling etc. However, people say that the weight they can carry has gone up because of using the air suspension, but what no one has said so far is how do you find out what it has gone up by or indeed why does the air suspension increase the payload?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hello and welcome.
Air assist weighs around 50 kg, the increase payload you get will depend on the chassis and tyres. For example on my van which is on a AL-Ko AMC IIght chassis increase the rear axle load from 2000kg to 2240kg by fitting air assist and changing the tyres to a wider tyre with higher load rating.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can I just add - that to get the extra weight carrying capacity you need to get your vehicle weight uprated. This is normally a paper exercise http://www.svtech.co.uk/ can do it for you.

However you could then open the old argument about the pros and cons of going over 3500kgs and whether your ever likely to get weighed etc etc.

Air suspension is very good for stabilising the back of the vehicle and restoring ride height, less of an issue for ALKO chassis IMHO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@chirpychimp - research is very important! The point to learn here though is not about how to improve the ride but more about making sure that you buy a motorhome with sufficient payload for your needs. You will have probably found out that you need to check your driving licence to see if you can drive a vehicle over 3500Kg - that's the first point. The second is that you need to check the weights for any motorhome you are considering:
a) am I licenced to drive it?
b) is the payload enough for the people I want to carry, all their stuff and everything else I will need to take with me (this is not an easy exercise!)?
c) and if you plan to tow anything, is the train weight sufficient?

Have fun with choosing the right motorhome for you - most people get it wrong the first time!!

P.S. choosing the right layout is the most important factor!!

OP
OP
C

chirpychimp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
researching
Exp
Thank you very much for your quick replies. I think I need to read up a bit more about air suspension pros and cons if you like. Oh I guess it would be worth looking at seeing if a MH does have air suspension when viewing as obviously if it has then there should be some paperwork ? If there was no paperwork what would anyone suggest?

I have to say it is a complete minefield out there when looking at MH's but I 'think' I may have found my perfect starter home. :) Just need to view it and test drive it and give it a good once over. Time will tell.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dont get too hooked on air suspension being responsible for the weight you can carry, it isn't
Paperwork for the suspension will tell you nothing other than how it works and maybe what it cost
the maximum payload will always be displayed on the vehicles Vin plates even after a suspension upgrade, a new plate will be affixed to the MoHo
The Vehicle and it's plated weight dictates what you may carry
Geo

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You need to tell us what van you are interested in then someone should be able to say if it has adequate payload.

OP
OP
C

chirpychimp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
researching
Exp
The MH i've been looking at is the Elddis Autoquest 300. As for driving licence I Have no problems there 7.5 tons. As for payload untill I have bought a MH and loaded it up and got weighed I am not going to know. Worst case scenario I might have to leave the other half at home so I can fit all my musical instruments in :whistle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You don't say what year or engine but it looks like they had a payload of around 670 kg before any extras are fitted. I'm not sure how they calculated their payload often allow for a driver at 75kg, 20 Lt of water 1 gas bottle and 90% fuel.
With the Elddis you need to get a good damp check carried out on it, they tend to have water ingress problems and check carefully around the rear wheel arches & where the side skirts are fitted, they used untreated exposed timber in these areas.

OP
OP
C

chirpychimp

Free Member
Apr 14, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
researching
Exp
Ah the engine...2ltr and that is something I am surprised about...why don't that put in minimum of 2.5 ltr engines? ...2004 registration

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ah the engine...2ltr and that is something I am surprised about...why don't that put in minimum of 2.5 ltr engines? ...2004 registration
It is a budget van so tend not to give engine options. Most vans are powered these days with 2.3's but they are newer designs with higher power outputs and higher torque. Later this year Fiat are dropping the 3 Lt and bringing out a higher power version of the 2.3 which is currently available in 130 & 150 bhp versions.

Elddis are on the Peugeot chassis which will have a Ford engine, probably 120 bhp so should have plenty of power.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back