Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all, has anybody fitted one of the air suspension or air bag assistance kits to their motorhomes. If so where did they get it from, how easy was it to fit and has it made a difference thats worth its cost.
Also, has anyone heard of or fitted bolt on wheel spacers,to increase the track on the rear wheels and make the rear end more stable. Regards Luke

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There has been a lot of discussion on here about air assisted suspension. Use the search facility to dig some of it up while waiting for an answer. :)

I know nothing about spacers but widening the track by a couple of inches won't widen the suspension mounts so from that perspective I doubt any useful increase in stability could be achieved. Air bags will help but worth checking your shock absorbers first. And of course tyre pressure.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
have a look at the kits from Marcle Leisure http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/
I fitted the kit to my Apache as part of the weight upgrade to increase the payload. There has been an improvement in ride as well.
The kit is fairly easy to fit provided you are OK for working under the motorhome and have the normal tools for working on vehicles. The only tool I had to borrow is a torque wrench to torque the U bolts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Motorhome Man

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for replies and info, have checked out Marcle kit, reasonably priced and as you said Bill looks fairly easy to install. Thanks.

Reactions: DBK

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Full guide for pre ABS braking models
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/dunlop-air-suspension-fitting-made-easy-guide.45537/

Bellows-allowed-to-refill-and-M.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
I fitted this.

Broken Link Removed

But I bought 2 gauges and filling valves as I wanted each side to be inflated independantly.

I have single leaf springs and when I bought the van there was about an inch gap between the spring and the spring helper (bumpstop) but at the last MOT the springs are pressing against the helpers and the springs looked flat not curved.

Very happy with result and the biggest issue I had when fitting was running the tubes from the cab to the axle.

Mike

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Fitting wheel spacers does push the wheel further off the hub and is used mostly for fitting larger wheels. On my land rover if I fit larger wheels (305/75x15) than standard (235/85x16) I use wheel spacers as it increases the turning circle and gives more clearance from the wheel arch. Downside to using wheel spacers is that you are putting a heavier load onto the bearings through the lever effect as the wheel is sitting further off the centreline than standard. I only use the larger wheels and tyres in the wintertime if there is a lot of snow or when I am launching my boat from the beach as the larger tyres reduce the ground pressure. JMTW(y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've recently fitted air assisted suspension from these people
http://www.sospensionieasytop.it/en/
Easy to fit and very pleased with the ride, a lot more compliant and less roll.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have a Fiat chassis Autotrail Tracker FB and Dave Newell fitted air assist to the rear suspension. It has transformed how the van drives and handles.

In cross winds on the motorways and with lorries overtaking are no longer the bottom clenching experience that is once was.

I would now not have a motorhome on a Fiat Ducato chassis without air assist rear suspension. (y)

OP
OP
Motorhome Man

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks again to everybody for all their input, will definitely be looking into purchasing a kit and will let you all know how i get on. Once again thank you all for taking the time to respond. Many thanks Luke.

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
I just replaced my rear springs on my 1999 VW T4 Compass Calypso.

I decided to try a pair of Technix Air bags which are double convoluted, to carry extra weight. I have raised them to the maximum that the air management system allows. Although this only just over half inflates the bags, the ride height is already above the original spring height be at least an inch, handling is much better, manoeuvring and motorways, much less roll or wallowing.

I just completed a tour around the New Forest and coastal through to Poole and they performed brilliantly.

I am now looking to add a couple of inches more simply by adding another 20-25psi taking it up to 125psi, around a third of the bags burst pressure. To do this I need to remove the current pressurising system and replace it with an uprated compressor pump and a tank. These items are easy connected to gauges etc via flexible hose. The problem I have now, is the Air Ride Wireless system only has a maximum of 100psi available through its digital display.
Its great that I can stand 20ft away with a remote control and level up the van on site, but unfortunately cannot achieve what I need for everything.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what air management system I could use?

As far as the ride quality goes, the wallowing and roll has almost dissappeared, on motorways its steady even with EU registered HGV's thundering past.

The alternative of air bags was to replace the springs with new and insert the Air Ride spring helpers, a route which I might yet take. Has anyone got experience of the helpers, I read somewhere if trying to lift them with too much pressure they distort the springs, is this so?

Thanks for reading, experience, suggestions etc welcome.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Air suspension - I fitted the Dunlop system to my van, which is a 2006 Ducato X244 on the Maxi chassis. I bought it from Marcle Leisure, who were great. I went for the option where you have a pressure gauge to fill the system from, with 2 taps giving independent control to each side, which I mounted in the driver's step area of the cab. Simple to fill the system using a cheap 12v compressor. The Dunlop kit seems to be very good quality, decent heavy brackets and it fitted well.

Easy enough to fit if you're a half-decent diy'r, and it absolutely transformed the handling of the van. It's a coachbuilt - a fairly tall one at that, 3.1m, sitting fairly high up on the standard Fiat chassis rather than the more low-line Alko chassis. Prior to fitting the air suspension it was horrible overtaking trucks on the motorway, the vacuum effect as you passed the front of their bodies really pulled the van off line.

Fitting the kit pretty much eliminated that, and whilst it's still no sports car it also means it no longer feels like it will fall over whilst going round a bend! It also means I was able to uprate the van from 3500kg to 4000kg max weight, without the air suspension I would only have got to 3850kg. The van unladen was over 3300kg, so I needed all the payload I could get!

One of the best modifications I've fitted - if I change vans I'd fit a kit straight away. For a big family-size van full of, err, family (!) it made a huge difference.

If you were looking at smaller, lower coachbuilt vans that aren't running close to their weight limits, or PVC's, maybe you wouldn't see such a difference.

Last edited:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I've recently fitted air assisted suspension from these people
http://www.sospensionieasytop.it/en/
Easy to fit and very pleased with the ride, a lot more compliant and less roll.

I bought the same from Italy, better ride, easy to fit. I found a video on youtube. good value for money

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted air assist kit (air bags) to our van a couple of weeks ago and it was a doddle. The kit came off eBay from a company in Slovenia but don't be put off by that as they were very good to deal with and it arrived by DHL in just on a week.

Extra to the kit I bought a plate to mount the gauges and air pump controls in the small cubby hole on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel on our Peugeot 250x based van.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Air suspension - I fitted the Dunlop system to my van, which is a 2006 Ducato X244 on the Maxi chassis. I bought it from Marcle Leisure, who were great. I went for the option where you have a pressure gauge to fill the system from, with 2 taps giving independent control to each side, which I mounted in the driver's step area of the cab. Simple to fill the system using a cheap 12v compressor. The Dunlop kit seems to be very good quality, decent heavy brackets and it fitted well.

Easy enough to fit if you're a half-decent diy'r, and it absolutely transformed the handling of the van. It's a coachbuilt - a fairly tall one at that, 3.1m, sitting fairly high up on the standard Fiat chassis rather than the more low-line Alko chassis. Prior to fitting the air suspension it was horrible overtaking trucks on the motorway, the vacuum effect as you passed the front of their bodies really pulled the van off line.

Fitting the kit pretty much eliminated that, and whilst it's still no sports car it also means it no longer feels like it will fall over whilst going round a bend! It also means I was able to uprate the van from 3500kg to 4000kg max weight, without the air suspension I would only have got to 3850kg. The van unladen was over 3300kg, so I needed all the payload I could get!

One of the best modifications I've fitted - if I change vans I'd fit a kit straight away. For a big family-size van full of, err, family (!) it made a huge difference.

If you were looking at smaller, lower coachbuilt vans that aren't running close to their weight limits, or PVC's, maybe you wouldn't see such a difference.
How did you attach the air block / gauge to your footwell ( assuming that’s where you put it ) did you stick it or screw it ?

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
As long as the position is easily accessible I can’t see the need to have the gauges on show, I fitted ours in a lower cupboard.
97E72B61-0489-4710-A6E1-7D2C205522A7.jpeg

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I have a Merc sprinter chassis van which used to wallow around a bit.
Fitted Aeon rubber spring assistors, cost about £100 and very easy to fit as they just replace the bump stops on the van. They made a massive difference and would highly recommend them.
Very simple technology, no moving parts, nothing to go wrong ,and huge ones are used on trains and massive commercial vehicles.
They are basically just rubber cylinders.

Stu-cambs

Free Member
Oct 19, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Cheyenne 696SE
I have a Merc sprinter chassis van which used to wallow around a bit.
Fitted Aeon rubber spring assistors, cost about £100 and very easy to fit as they just replace the bump stops on the van. They made a massive difference and would highly recommend them.
Very simple technology, no moving parts, nothing to go wrong ,and huge ones are used on trains and massive commercial vehicles.
They are basically just rubber cylinders.

Might be interested in these for my Sprinter ? can you post a link where you got them from please

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Might be interested in these for my Sprinter ? can you post a link where you got them from please
Contact David at Ride Solutions. 01223 701012.
Manufactured by Timbren Industries
All info on the net
As I recall, he is based in Cambridge near to you.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Contact David at Ride Solutions. 01223 701012.
Manufactured by Timbren Industries
All info on the net
As I recall, he is based in Cambridge near to you.
I have just sent an email to him as well, as am due to pick up a new van on 1st June, and have always wondered about doing something like this.
Thanks for the link, as also live not far from Cambridge?

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Just ha a call from David at Ride Solutions, and all booked in for week after next when hopefully new van will be here. Is even comming out to fit it at mine. Top service?

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Has anyone used SAP near Doncaster? Just persuaded my financial adviser we need semi air on ours.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Has anyone used SAP near Doncaster? Just persuaded my financial adviser we need semi air on ours.
Not personally but I’ve heard a lot of good reports about them on here . I wouldn’t hesitate to use them if I was going down the professional fit road.

Reactions: ctc
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I just had quote off ride solutions
Fiat ducato 2012 £205 plus vat delivered easy to fit just need to send a photo of bump stops to him so he can send correct set. Cheap option if it improves the ride.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years

Can you recall what size nuts are on the spring ubolts ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back