Air suspension

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Tony H, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Tony H

Tony H Read Only Funster

We have a new Bailey motorhome and are very pleased with it indeed. It handles very good for a motorhome, but will air suspension make it even better? Some one has told us it will because his does, but he has an older van 07.
    Look forward to any opinions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. musson

musson Funster

I ask this question seemed to come back with it helps what ever age I am going to fit when weather better
    cost for rear kit with 2 gauges on ebay around £280 MH 2011 ducato chassis

3. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Do you have any specific issues with the ride? If not, why spend money on unnecessary toys just because someone else them?
    Sadly it's a trap we all fall into at some time or another (me included)
    I did have air assist fitted to my last Van which had a Mercedes Sprinter base and which rolled around horribly on bends and uneven surfaces. Current van is Fiat based with Alko chassis so I feel no need to fit it.

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Earlier vans, maybe even up to 2007 had a van / narrow chassis.. That meant the body was a lot wider and gave excess roll.
    So fitting air suspension made a big difference, i had a 2005 van and found it better the moment i drove it around first corner..

Later they bought out the wider motorhome chassis and my 2012 van seems a lot better and without suspension. I want to fit it to raise the back end but dont feel any need to add it for the ride quality.. Done almost 30,000 on all sorts of roads and I am happy with the standard chassis.. The bailey I think has a lower Alko chassis so in theory should be better than mine.

5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Depends on which chassis is fitted.

If you have a Alko chassis I am told you don't need it.

If you have a Fiat Ducato 3650kg.
    Ours is 2012 and it transformed the way the vehicle drives. No more white knuckle journeys along windy motorways waiting for the next lorry to pass us.
    Ride hugely improved and without doubt the best money we have ever spent on the motorhome.
    I would definitely recommend it. (y)

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Bailey's are on an Al-Ko so for a Dunlop system looking at £1500 that is just for the kit.
    Unless you have a load problem with the rear axle you shouldn't need it, the Al-ko chassis generally ride superbly.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. telsdog

telsdog Funster

I have fitted Dunlop air suspension to my Bailey Autograph 740. I did it mainly to uprate the gross weight and to raise the rear because we carry a scooter on the back. Haven't noticed much difference in the handling but the tow bar doesn't hit the ground now

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

Pay a visit to the NEC next month and take a look at the VB Air Suspension stand.

9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes ours was fitted by previous owner to get weight up to 3800kgs. but I do like it. I can alter the rear ride height to stop it looking tail heavy.

10. sparky

sparky Funster

Hi I fitted mine on a alko chasis on a burstner a class because the tow bar grounded a lot. Because of the low chassis

11. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Brilliant, well worth it IMO