Air suspension test run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Patrick, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Hello All,

Well I did say I would give my verdict on the air suspension I had fitted last Wednesday after our trip to Essex.

A1….The difference it has made to the ride, handling and stability of our van is amazing. Going over rough ground before the air suspension was fitted was, a rollercoaster ride and with our van being so tall it swayed everywhere. Now it just has a small movement from side to side then stands straight again. The biggest difference has been in the wind and when trucks pass us, the van doesn’t get pulled and pushed by the draught created as they pass. I found in the gusty wind I didn’t have to fight the van back on a straight line anymore. The van sits right no matter how much we have in the garage, and as it’s controllable for the cab it does give us some levelling capabilities. All round a really great investment for us.

I would like to say that the service and quality of work done by AS air suspension in Warrington was and is faultless.

Patrick & Jan

2. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

I'll second that Patrick!
    Ours is fantastic! We use it for levelling on campsites - the ride is amazing now - getting on and off ferries is not as scary as it was! I don't get travel sick any more! The list goes on and on!!:Smile::Smile:

AS AirSuspension - what can we say? BRILLIANT!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Glad to hear it works....:Cool:

BTW How long did it take to fit and was it rear only or all round units?

Are you seeing more ground clearance since it was fitted?

Regards Steve.

4. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Had it fitted to my vehicle about 12 months ago, as reported elsewhere the effects on driving control is amazing, it gives a much smoother ride and the service of AS at Warrington is A1.

They fitted ours to the rear suspension only in 1 day. They then gave me a full tour of the work they had undertaken showing me the units fitted in place, the pipework etc.

Can't fault the system

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

:BigGrin:Good innit:thumb:

6. chewy

chewy Read Only Funster

Glad to hear it

We've just booked up to go ang have it done so looking fwd bigtime thanks for report

7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Good to see it Pat,

at least it will stop the van rocking a lad :Rofl1::Rofl1::Wink
    :

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Absolutely transformed mine too !
    I am just waiting for some rather clever bits to arrive which will allow me set things up and maintain that setting automatically ( all experimental but worth a wizz ! )

9. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

Thanks for the update - Mine is being installed by my very nice mechanic literally as we speak and I can't wait to give it a whirl - One small problem with regards to our Dunlop system was that the top plates (where the four allen keyed screws go) hadn't been tapped to receive the screws :Doh: So it's just a s well I left it for him (not sure about half an hour to fit though?)

10. Patrick

hi Steve,

yes it is only the rears i had done. I can pump it up independantly and with my overhang it will rase the rear by 5".

The whole job took 5 hours because it was on a merc chassis the fiat fit is about 3 hours.

pat

11. Patrick

Let me know what your planning by way of making yours automatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patrick

12. bubble

bubble Read Only Funster

help

Help, just reading how good air suspension is, and found out we have this on our motorhome but dont have the slightest idea when, and how to use any advice would be great. fairly new to all this got the van in october, been going out loads with it but this air suspension is still a mystery to us. Where to start what to do simple instructions for newbies please, thanks Lynne:Doh:

13. JayDee

JayDee Funster

OK,
    Start at the bellows; there should be an airline running from each one. Trace that airline and you should find (possibly inside the van) an inflation point, with or without a pressure guage. There may be two taps to allow one, or both to be inflated. On the other hand, those airlines running from the bellows may end up at a compressor, which should be wired to the vehicle electrics through a switching set-up (possibly a relay). Somewhere, probably inside the van, you should find the switch or control - that doesn't look like anything that Fiat (or whatever you base vehicle is) would have fitted.
    If the first set-up you will need to use a tyre compressor, make sure that the taps (valves) are open and inflate to about 40 psi. Take it for a run and if it's still a bit wallowy put another 5psi in, and try again. If it feels a bit firm, reduce by a couple or five. Trial and error will tell you when you get the best ride, but it may change with more or less weight in the back.

Hope this is useful.

John

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. Autoquest

:Eek!: Just had a look at my little van with the new airide fitted and inflated to just 3.0 bar - Looks like a hot rod with a massively raised rear end :Blush: Now down to two bar and it looks a little better, won't be able to drive it for an hour or two. I reckon this will need adjusting every time we load, load differently and unload again....

15. bubble

bubble Read Only Funster

just been to look exactly what it is like but your advice gives us some idea where to start , we have a pressure gauge a red push button and something that resembles a tyre valve which is metal with a screw on top with a plunger type release valve on top of it, does that sound normal, no way fitted by fiat. :Doh:

16. dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool Read Only Funster

haganap ??? can you advise patrick that he has to try i out on a skiing trip to france ? and av got to go with him ???:Rofl1:dogmanlpool (keith)

17. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Mine doesn't look like that, but I expect it'll ring a few bells with others. If you press the red button does the passenger seat eject :Laughing:, or a compressor start up? If so that sound like it might be the thing. The tyre inflator fitting will no doubt be for a time when the fuse has blown, or the compressor has packed up and you can use a tyre inflator.

Reason I said 40 psi is that GB (the firm fitted mine in Honiton) advised me to start at about 35 to 40 psi. I found 38 to 40 was ideal. Different vans, different loads, different pressure. Works a treat as others have said.:thumb:

John

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Mine is currently sitting at 32lbs but I have discovered a wee issue I think.. Looks like the right hand one looses a couple of pound if left for a week or so, so not real happy about that though it might just be a leaky schrader valve yet.. and as they are coming off as soon as I get all the new widgets tis of no matter

Ok, basically there is going to be a pressure sensor in each feed line. They can be set to anything from 28 to 40 lbs
    If one side drops below below what it is supposed to be a relay kicks in, changes the position of an air gate and switches on the pump ( pump is just a £10.00 special from the local market )
    Once pressure is reached the sensor relay turns off which in turn kills the pump and switches the air gate to a neutral position

the hold up is trying to find (at a sensible price ! ) the sensors. Most are unable to go that low.

Hopefully next week I will have the basics in place ( the pump, air gate etc ) but reckon it will be a while before the whole thing gets finished

19. Autoquest

Now that sounds like a good idea! Are you going to post a pic of all the bits and pieces?

I note that your huge van is running at 32psi and my little van has its arse in the air with 28 so I reckon on starting with about 20 for now.

20. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

We are very pleased with our AS. Handles much better, holds the road better and stops the van rocking hee hee :Wink: