Air Suspension for Autocruise (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Has anyone had air bags fitted to an Alko Chassis??
I have an Autocruise Gleneagle and need to stiffen up and slightly raise the rear before it is ripped off on road humps/ferries.
I had an aftermarket set fitted many years ago and they dropped off after 15 miles so I am a little hesitant.
I look forward to any feedback, is John from Johns Cross out there?
Wiljoy

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Just spotted this thread, and I must say there ain't a lot of clearance on mine either, I have a 09 reg Startrail, so does this mean I have to keep an eye on me bottom end (oo-er missus) so to speak.
Not been on the ferry with mine yet, we are going to France in August,might just have to drive up the ramp a bit more slower!!
Any Startrail owners had any problems with their bottom ends going on the ferries??

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We had air suspension fitted last year to our Knaus ( we have an Alko chassis) It's BRILLIANT!! :thumb::thumb:

1. Improves ride and handling.
2. Easier to get on and off ferries.
3. Helps level the van on-site.

We had it fitted by AS Air Suspension.

Check out their website:- AS Air Suspension UK Ltd Home Page

or ring Phil or Cath on :- 01925 241200 or 07874 046643

I'm sure they'll be able to help you.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I can support what Penelope says. AS have fitted suspension to both of my Alko based roadstars. They are extremely helpful and eager to please. The only drawback is the trek to warrington if you live in the south

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I can support what Penelope says. AS have fitted suspension to both of my Alko based roadstars. They are extremely helpful and eager to please. The only drawback is the trek to warrington if you live in the south

I agree with everything Lunarman says, Had AS AIR SUSPENSIOIN fitted to my 780 Roadstar in March this year. very helpful and eager to please even let me take a look at the underside of the vehicle whilst it was in the workshop and showed me where all the cables and pipes had been fitted. also showed me the ALKO grease points which had been recently greased on the delivery service.

Only draw back was having to spend the day in Warrington on her birthday:ROFLMAO:

Lunarman, the 780 is going great, hope your 786 is OK?.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

There is an outfit in Honiton (east Devon) called GB Services. They fitted ours (not ALKO chassis) and there was an instant improvement - we run with them at 39/40 psi.

Airide - Air Suspension Kits for Motorhomes

Saves a journey up north for southern dwellers ::bigsmile:

John

BEV

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
CORNWALL
Funster No
MH
AUTOCRUISE
Exp
Suspension

I have just come back from my peugeot dealer after having some remedial work done on our one year old Autocruise Starspirit.
We have found out that the bump stop is 100mm long normally but down to 30mm at rest with very little in the m/h. Surely this is a fault in the design for the suspension? I was told while in the garage that if this was in for a MOT it would fail on that alone. Any help please

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007

What was the cost, if I may be and cheeky and ask and how long did it take??

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
we had A/S air suspension fitted last year to our autostratus and am really pleased with it , and the service from them was first class. it took one day to fit and while you are waiting they drop you into warrington and pick you up when the work is done . the cost last year was around 1200 pounds , worth every penny :thumb:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
My 2006 Autocruise Starblazer has air suspension fitted from the Autocruise factory to give the 'van it's uplift to 4100kg mam. This system is 'Kuhn' which doesn't seem to be very common. After I bought the Starblazer i started researching air suspension to see what was what.

I found a few differences in fitted systems which may be of interest to those contemplating having air susp. fitted.

1) My system has a separate inflation valve and gauge for each side behind the passenger seat. ( I use a small cheap 12v compressor to inflate if required )

2) Some systems have a common inflation valve and gauge with a changeover lever for each side. ( varying the pressure between sides can aid levelling when on site )

3) Some systems have an on-board compressor fitted to the system so that you can increase ( and presumably decrease ) the pressure to increase or reduce the ground clearance easily and possibly from the drivers seat.

4) Some systems just have the inflation valves on the chassis adjacent to the suspension.

Obviously costs of the systems will vary according to what features they have.

hth

Harvey

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I had mine fitted last year at Pickering, AIR RIDE £250 (I think) took about an hour, on show site.
Puergeot Boxer.

Don

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
Just back from Bonnie Scotland (and very beautiful it was too) with our Autocruise Startrail and saw this post.
As we live on a rock (Jersey), ferries are our only means (with a motorhome) of getting off to either the UK or mainland europe, so we have plenty of experience and fairly small ferries , in comparrison with the big Brittany Ferries and Sealink boats.
The first thing that we had to do with our ferry company (we only have one operator) was to establish their maximum limits, they will only carry a motorhome up to 3.5 ton, 3.04m high and 6.5m long. It is possible for them to carry larger/heavier vehicles with conditions attached, higher than the limit and you have to reverse down the ramp to park at the highest area of the car deck, certain weights may only travel on off peak sailings etc...
Accordingly, we obtained permission before buying our Startrail and were granted it, with the proviso that they would accept no responsibility if we bottomed out during embarking or disembarking. Having been caravanners for 18 years and with this in mind we take a few precautions. Firstly we try and choose a sailing on a high tide (no hassle when it's a 36m tide, great problems on a 8m low), on occasion we have had to take a lower tide sailing but either way I always get out and guide my husband, as all too often the crew are in a hurry to load and don't look or care if a vehicle touches. Also our ferry (and I would imagine most others) carry boards, which I will ask them to use if I think there is any possibility that we will touch - sometimes the crew have needed reminding that we are the customer, paying high prices to travel and should expect such service even if it does hold up the loading operation a few minutes.
So this way we manage to travel by ferry without touching, it might take a few minutes of time, but any time we are unsure I will get out and guide, better than damaging our pride and joy.

Uncle-Steve

Free Member
Jan 24, 2008
Funster No
I recently found out that a lot of AS kits are copies of the Dunlop kits, However the Dunlop kits for the AL-KO chassis are a different design to the AS kits and are easier to fit. Apparently in some cases its difficult to change the wheels with the AS AL-KO kits as they use spacers. Can anyone verify this?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back