Air suspension - feedback from the horses mouth? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
have read all the blurb on the sellers sites and have selected the potential supplier but before I press 'pay' can anyone give me honest feedback, good and/or bad, on air suspension they have/had fitted - of course feedback from similar MoHo owners would be closer, but all feedback appreciated.

I intend fitting it myself.

Ours is a Autotrail Apache 700SE.

Thanks and Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we have air rider I think that's what it's called, this was fitted to the van when we bought it and I must say it does make a difference especially with a large overhang. We have played about with different pressures to see what works best and you do notice the difference.

We have also use our to help level the van slightly although it doesn't give you loads of movement it can help with just that little bit.

We have an Adria Matrix which is 7.3 M long with a rear garage.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Not the same vehicle, i know, but, i fitted air suspension to my truck, thinking it would be better for towing the 5th wheel. And it certainly was much better. A better stance with weight on, better ride, and better road holding. I took me a couple of hours to fit, and really simple.
Mine are independently inflated, via valves either side of the rear number plate, and i do this with a 'Joe Blow' bicycle pump, with an accurate guage fitted. So easy to inflate/deflate i feel there is no need for the on board compressor.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Well, I had a good look at our rear springs............................Not the 'smiley face' look. And so, I phoned Dave Newell. The van has got air bags, but one has split. Looking at it, must have happened around the time Jesus was born. Dave advised forget the springs, unless there is a broken leaf, just renew the airbags.
Hoping to book it in with him Fab or March. ::bigsmile:

Have a word with him, his contact details are top right of this page.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have the VB system fitted... (On when we bought the van)..

As far as I can see/tell the whole of the normal suspension was taken out (Nothing looks familiar)... and a full set of VB full air suspension fitted... with remote control for various uses IE front down, back down, off road (But limited to 25 klm an hour) otherwise it automatically reverts to road use..

There is a control button for dropping the back right down as low as can be done to help facilitate loading heavy items into the boot/garage..

There is also a button for parking, so if you are on uneven ground it automatically levels the rig up... (But where we are at the moment on a steep`ish slope and at an angle there is not enough adjustment to get 100% level, and we have had to chock one of the front wheels)... but having used it on other slightly sloping pitches it has worked a treat... and is funny to watch it auto level with air hissing and the compressor running to get level..

Would I have it fitted to a van without air suspension.. ? doubt it, a very expensive luxury, where by some good ramps can do the same job for a fraction of the cost.. but suppose if you are swithched on enough to do it yourself then may not be so dear..

But saying that and putting it in Auto Ride level when going along it is a fantastic bit of kit,,,, and gets rid of most of the thuds and nasty bumps when driving...

I suppose it is similar to the big trucks I used to drive with Air Ride Seat`s... beautiful and comfortable..

This unit was obviously a camper add on.... but what makes me and those I have shown,,, amongst the buttons on the remote is a button to hit which tilts one side to facilitate draining completely dry all the various tanks, Fresh/Waste etc...

But in the manual in big red letters it says (Quote) if head lockers are fully loaded do not tilt to the extremes for fear of the M.Home tipping over... :Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Must get myself a winch, and some chain,,, just in case I tip it on it`s side... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope this helps.. :thumb:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I fitted the Dunlop type to the rear of my Adria vision on a renault master chassis , it took a bit of effort as the alko chassis is different to the fiat type,
But I would say it's transformed the driving and ride especially on motorways,
Large coaches are no longer a cause for concern if they creep up on you without you noticing them,
Not cheap but IMHO money well spent:thumb::thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As others have said.... Vehicles trucks coaches overtaking, there is very little suck and blow.... noticed coming over windswept 7 bridge... no buffeting.. :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I had the Dunlop system fitted (from Marcle Leisure). It has transformed the handling of my van. The springs were tired and the air suspension now assists them. It also gives sufficient lift to avoid contact with ferry ramps. Definitely one of the best upgrades to my van. If the company that fitted it for me were still in business (now closed due to retirement) I would have given you their details as their facilities and expertise made it such an easy job.:thumb:

PS - I didn't bother with the compressor. I bought a tyre inflator from amazon which does the job just as well at 1/4 of the price.

PPS - I'm not a horse.:winky:

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
there is very little suck and blow.... noticed coming over wind

Ahhhhhhh.... It will be that stuffing sandwich you had. ::bigsmile:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We have it fitted,was on when we bought the MH,on a merc sprinter chassis,seems to work very well.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I fitted ours and am very pleased with the difference they made for all the reasons stated.

I did however have one problem, the bump stop on one side would not come undone as easily as had been said it would. So the bump stop sheared off the bolt holding it on. The real b*****d was that the bolt had a round head so I had to cut the bump stop off and remove it a little at a time with a set of stilsons. Very slowly undo it a bit then retighten then undo etc, all the time heating it and soaking in WD40.
I got it off in the end but it was a bugger to get off for fear of it shearing off. :Eeek:

If you do it yourself test if they will unscrew easily before committing to the whole job it appears they grease them when assembling (one had grease on it) but the other one of mine had no grease on it so it seized.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back