Air sourced Heat Pumps

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by olley, Oct 30, 2012.

1. olley

olley Funster

Now we are being charged at 15p per kw and are using gas for heating in the RV, I have been wondering about alternatives.

With a COP of over 3 these seem a vaiable alternative to lpg, could even work out cheaper. Been looking at these ones http://www.heateasy.co.uk/products/Toshiba-Inverter.html

Anyone fitted one? In a domestic or RV situation.

Ian

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Never seen that before.

So you can take in air at 0degC fire it out at -20degC and put that energy into your home/van ?

You'd need a whole lot of air. Fan noise could be and issue with a van.

Do they freeze up just when you need them most ?

3. olley

olley Funster

Hi Brian, supposed to be very quiet in operation and work down to around -15c outside air temp, although the cop suffers.

Ian

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yeh, right. The number of fan heaters I've bought that claim to be silent !!

Big trouble is you won't know 'till it's running. But you've probably got aircon so that will give a clue to noise in an RV.

5. olley

olley Funster

They claim a max of 46DB Brian, which is similar to a hairdryer according to Google, which is considerably quieter than my AC's. :Smile: I could mount one over the entrance door, the outside bit would fit on the roof next to the AC easy. Mind you I can buy a lot of leccy for £400

Ian

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we fitted similar, but much larger, units in a block of flats last winter.

the units we used were the size of a domestic upright fridge/freezer and weighed in excess of 230kg.

by re-cycling the warm air from a rooms and passing it through the transfer unit it eventually increased the air temp up to around 22c then sending it back to the rooms via in-ceiling ductwork.

the outlet pipe had an exhaust temp of -14c and had to be insulated to prevent freezing.

7. Xabia

Xabia Funster

In Febuary this year a week's gas to heat my house in Spain cost £160, yes, that is not a typo.

I had a Panasonic inverter air con unit in the lounge which had been installed to cool that room in the heat of the summer and decided to try it on heat. Couldn't believe the heat it produced with little noise. So good in fact that I had two more installed to heat two bedrooms and the kitchen. In operation constantly for about a month, electricity bill less than the gas for one week!

I have a similar much larger heat pump which will heat the swimming pool from cold to 28C in three days. They are unbelievably good in Spain, although I have to admit that the ambient temperature does not usually go as low as the UK.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

ignore my last post...dont know what i was thinking of :Blush:

the system pulled warm room air and transfered to a wet underfloor heating system.
    all other things posted are correct. :Doh:

9. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Have two of these systems installed at home. One in the lounge and one in my office. They work as described. Depending on outside temperature the coefficient is between 3 and 4.

Use them all through winter and they worked on the coldest days. They just cut in and out as they need to (one is the invertor type which is probably a bit more efficient). Probably run for about 20 minutes in the hour on day like today. My house averagely insulated.

They are fairly easy to install yourself if you get the pre-gassed units. Buy the single use hole cutter to go through the wall to put the pipe through and then just plug them into a 13a socket.

My central heating is oil fired and I now use less than half the oil I used to so I'm a big fan. I've not done exact calculations but my overall heating costs came down when they were installed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Thanks for posting Ian,.. something I'd never thought of for the house.. got to be a lot cheaper than running night storage heaters which we have at present.. definitely food for thought ...

11. olley

olley Funster

hi Jim just been doing a quick calc. 1 kg of lpg contains about 46Mj or 13kw of energy, I just paid £35 for a 19kg propane refill, so that's 247kw for about 14p a kw. I think. :BigGrin: Mind you if you add in the crap efficiency of the RV's heater I reckon you could add another 5p to that.

So in theory if I fitted one of these I could in effect get my leccy for around 5p instead of 15p, and heat the RV for a third of what I am paying now.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  12. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I know a friend who has one fitted to his 5 bedroom house. It cost him five hundred or so for the unit, which was all self contained so he had to connect it and release the gas and that was that.

They work best in a sunny spot, and he reports that even during snow we had one year, he was perfectly comfortable and it worked well.

What it would be like in a RV, I have no idea - but would be interesting.

13. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

We have one fitted in the Hall a panasonic,we live in 2 bed bungalow an it is our main source of heat,makes very little noise and in the summer can be reversed to work like air conditioner,ours was over £1500 fitted but friend bought 2 while back from B & Q I think for £400.

14. wasp

wasp Funster

I know a guy who has an air source heat pump, it heats all the hot water and does the heating in a 4 bedroomed house he says it cost 1200 quid per year to run all that and his electricity useage :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Our combined charges for gas and electric for a three bedroomed house, comes to less than three quarters of that figure, and that's not including the refund of what they owe us from overpaid direct debits.
    A fourth bedroom certainly wouldn't hike that cost up by another quarter.

Regards,

Jock.

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Keep us posted if you go ahaed with this please :thumb:It could well proove to be a cheap way to air con the van
    terry

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013