Air in the Fresh Water System ? (1 Viewer)

Locoman

Free Member
Mar 14, 2016
Mid Devon (UK)
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 184
Exp
Since 1982
Hi Experts !
In our Auto Trail we are having problems with Air getting into the Water system.
I have checked all the pipe work that I can access and nothing obvious ,
is there a diaphram or seal on the Surflow Pump that may need replacing ??

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think you can get an overhaul kit but not sure where - I read it on here some time ago.

Another possibility is the water draining back down into the tank. Fitting a non-return valve in the pipe between the tank and pump may be of help.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surflow is a diaphram pump and the diaphram can split allowing water to drain back.
If working properly the pump acts as a one way valve.
Theres more chance a bit of grit/dirt has found its way under one of the 'poppet' valves in the valve block allowing water to drain back.
Either way, the pump will cycle on and off constantly with all taps closed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Locoman

Locoman

Free Member
Mar 14, 2016
Mid Devon (UK)
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 184
Exp
Since 1982
Many thanks for the above
I have had a go at it today, have filled the tank to overflow with some Milton sterilizer in it to flush the system at the same time then pumped it all through
This has helped, I also think the fresh water guage is telling porky's
And shows 1/4 of a tank when infact it is nearly empty thus drawing in some air ?
If I have further problems I will try a replacement diaphram
Thanks for your ideas

Martin

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If the water level gauge is important and you can get access to inside the tank, reach in and you will find a couple of rods probably sticking down from the top. Give them a good clean off (no abrasives) flush the tank again and you might find it more accurate.

But after a while you'll get to know how much water you're using and won't take any notice anyway - I don't!

OP
OP
Locoman

Locoman

Free Member
Mar 14, 2016
Mid Devon (UK)
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 184
Exp
Since 1982
Thanks for that, as far as I can see there is only a drain cap underneath,
So will give that a try.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
On my Autotrail I had the same problem.

I was given to understand the issue was on the feed pipe from the tank to the pump. During manufacture they put a pop rivet into the tank/pipe to fix it in position.

When the pip rusts or falls out the pump sucks air.

I was told a self tapping screw into the rivet centre was the fix.

Whether I was fed a line or not I have no idea. But they cured the problem some how. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As TerrL said above, you'll get to know how much water you generally use and can top up as required. Never had much faith in the gauges they're too basic for the job.

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi locoman, you can get an overhaul kit, very easy to fit as well, I personally would buy another pump, two reasons, motor has done as much work as valves and not a lot of difference in price between service kit and new pump approx £50 on ebay. Air could also be entering system through pipework and fittings on suction side of pump.perhaps even small split in pipework where it runs through chassis from tank to pump. Also check sealing tape on screw thread fittings and make sure pushfit connections are fully home and 'o' rings aren't damaged.Let us know how you get on. Luke

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back