Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Hi....
I have been looking into all the options for a small aircon unit after enduring a few sleepless nights down here on the Costa Del Sol during summer.
Looking at the prices circa. £1500 upwards I starting looking at alternative options.
We do a lot of wild camping so 240volt is not readily available for the power requirements of even the smallest portable units. e.g 2.5Kw
I then started looking at those evaporator units which is a pseudo aircon where you fill a container with water or ice cubes. You get can get 12 volt versions from the US of A. Even the largest units only draw 100 watt at 240 volt. My line of thinking was to run one of these off a true sine wave inverter due to the inductive load for the fan motor connected to a 100Ah battery. The air cooler (aircon) costs around 135 to 165 UKP with the true sine wave inverter coming in at circa 200 UKP. Some of the specs quote very tongue in cheek at 30% reduction in temperature with a room 9 sq,M.
Any thoughts or experience ?
atb Neil

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a 12volt Travel-Air fitted on the roof. It works very well as I found out in the Dordogne a few weeks ago. It draws very few amps but I havnt a clue how much they cost as it was fitted when I bought the van.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
99% of motorhome habitation air con is mains operated where as the cab air con runs off the engine.

so basically if you wish to run mains air con you either need hook up or a generator.
or a very large battery bank.
the small evaporative ones are not really any good and introduce moisture.

and the other ones are not really suitable to running off an inverter whilst parked up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back