Air Conditioning - Worthwhile Or Unnecessary? (1 Viewer)

Air Conditioning - Worthwhile Or Unnecessary?

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
When in Europe recently we noticed that most European motorhomes had roof-top satellite dishes and some had air conditioning.

Do you use or would you consider roof-top air conditioning or one of units that hang on the window?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I worked in the Middle East for a number of years and it was a God (Allah ?) send.
I would definately consider it if I was heading to somewhere where it was very hot, such as Greece, during the summer months.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have it and to be honest it's great as we live in Spain, however you need to be hooked up for the mains, which is a pain sometimes when you want to go "wild"

Some months into owning our MH we met couple who had a 12volt fan fitted in the roof lights in living area and bedroom and boy oh boy did that work well. When we got home we had one fitted to the bedroom area and now have the best of both worlds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We have it and to be honest it's great as we live in Spain, however you need to be hooked up for the mains, which is a pain sometimes when you want to go "wild"

Some months into owning our MH we met couple who had a 12volt fan fitted in the roof lights in living area and bedroom and boy oh boy did that work well. When we got home we had one fitted to the bedroom area and now have the best of both worlds.

We have a 12 volt extractor fan above the kitchen area in our MH. Is that the type that you mean ? It can blow air out or suck it in, depending on which direction you set it to, and has variable speeds.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
It will all depend on where you go?

Example, we had on last van, used it 2 or 3 times in 3 years.

Not got on this van, have never missed it.

Do have cab air con though :thumb:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We wanted something mainly for the dogs in summer but didn't want to carry the weight around all the time, we bought one of the cool my camper units, haven't yet tried it in anger yet but it tests out ok, I will add a 12v fan as well.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We wanted something mainly for the dogs in summer but didn't want to carry the weight around all the time, we bought one of the cool my camper units, haven't yet tried it in anger yet but it tests out ok, I will add a 12v fan as well.

Ahh.. we've been looking at getting one of these.. At £450 it may well be a very cost effective way to go and would be interested to hear what anyone else who has one thinks of them.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I remember Haganap and I discussed this on a long ago thread, we have a Dometic roof mounted aircon fed by mains of course but also runs off a 1600w inverter and wired for use while travelling. Probably installed for a season in Spain but useful in the UK whilst on the move as the van has no cab aircon. Don't think I'd bother if and when we change.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ahh.. we've been looking at getting one of these.. At £450 it may well be a very cost effective way to go and would be interested to hear what anyone else who has one thinks of them.

There's nothing on Fun. But there's a review here

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I purchased a battery/12v fan in USA. Can't remember the make but it is really quiet and gives a good breeze. It was about half the price in USA. Would like AC but not really worth it at the moment

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had it once and didn't get on with it. The second I went from outside into the aircon room I poured with sweat and felt really uncomfortable.

My Eura Mobil however had a really cool system (no pun intended)

It pulled cool air from under the van, filtered it and then distributed it from a vent that ran all round the top of the van.

It was brilliant. The van wasn't cold, but it felt fresh and didn't require any windows to be open which was a godsend as far as flying insects was concerned. I will be creating a system like this on my next self build...

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
We have a 12 volt extractor fan above the kitchen area in our MH. Is that the type that you mean ? It can blow air out or suck it in, depending on which direction you set it to, and has variable speeds.
Sorry for late reply, parked up now so can catch up. It is called fiamma turo-vent. Also forgot to say the air-con is noisy when cooling at full speed.

Fitted this:

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 43
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Sorry for late reply, parked up now so can catch up. It is called fiamma turo-vent. Also forgot to say the air-con is noisy when cooling at full speed.

Fitted this:

Glad you parked up before you replied ::bigsmile:

Different make but same type of thing as ours.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As we have dogs which we take abroad I consider it essential

We have dash air con and ducted roof air conditioning. Also three of our four roof vents are power vents with variable speed control so we can have them on at night with no issues.

We also have a device that sends us and SMS txt message to our phones should the mains fail. This is so if we go out for the afternoon and leave the dogs in the van, we not concerned that the mains may fail and that the air condition fail with the dogs in the van:Eeek:

Personally I hate being too hot, when I want to cool down, but I love great weather

Eddie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In my opinion, cab air con is a must .. wouldn't buy a car or van without it as retro fitting is very costly.

when camping in Southern Europe in Summer, Hab air-con is also highly desirable .. especially at night.. but they are noisy, so we used to put it on in our bedroom an hour or so before going to bed to chill it down nicely.. then switch it off.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have cab air-con in the van and wouldn't be without it however we don't have any habitation air con. I can see the benefit of it for getting a good night's sleep without being too hot, but other than that I'm not sure it's worth it - surely during the day if you are in your van nice and cool and you then go out into the heat you'll fry as you won't have become accustomed to it?

I have considered the 'turbo-vent' type especially since we don't have an extractor in our van - are these any good for cooling as well as extraction of smells?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
We have cab air-con in the van and wouldn't be without it however we don't have any habitation air con. I can see the benefit of it for getting a good night's sleep without being too hot, but other than that I'm not sure it's worth it - surely during the day if you are in your van nice and cool and you then go out into the heat you'll fry as you won't have become accustomed to it?

I have considered the 'turbo-vent' type especially since we don't have an extractor in our van - are these any good for cooling as well as extraction of smells?

Well we have the turbo-vent fan above our bed and on the lowest fan spin setting, which is very quiet blowing the air in cools or MH enough for a good nights sleep. We have the air con, but I find the "drone" of the motor wakes me up.

Like the MH owner above we have 2 x cats with us on our adventures and can leave the fan blowing full power all day and they are happy bunnies. Battery drain is about 3amps at full fan spin.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have cab aircon, which is really useful as we tend to be moving during the hottest part of the day.
We have a turbovent fitted over the bed which is brilliant for keeping cool when sleeping. It has a thermostat which turns it off when its cool enough, and it's very quiet on low speed.
I have never thought habitation aircon would be useful, as it is quite noisy and in any case needs a hookup or a generator (even noisier) to run it, and the time I want to be cool is when I go to bed. During the day, a spot of shade and enough cold beer is all I need.

jackierals

Free Member
May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
As we have dogs which we take abroad I consider it essential

We have dash air con and ducted roof air conditioning. Also three of our four roof vents are power vents with variable speed control so we can have them on at night with no issues.

We also have a device that sends us and SMS txt message to our phones should the mains fail. This is so if we go out for the afternoon and leave the dogs in the van, we not concerned that the mains may fail and that the air condition fail with the dogs in the van:Eeek:

Personally I hate being too hot, when I want to cool down, but I love great weather

Eddie

Eddie we are having aircon put in next month as we will be travelling Europe with our dog, what is the device that you mention?

Jackie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Basically we install a mains failure device and link it to a GSM module so that if the mains fails we get an alert. We have been out for the day so often in the past (before we had dogs) and got back to find that some idiot had tripped our van plugging their van in.

We're quite happy to give the boys a really good run and swim in the morning (so their knackered by the time were finished:winky:) and find that they're quite happy cool and contented to have a snooze in the van while we pop put for a couple of hours to do or see things that aren't "dog" friendly.

We have even installed A/C systems where the owners have wanted a thermostat installed to be able to "set" the temperature and receive a SMS txt if the temperature is exceeded.

Were happy knowing that if we are say, shopping and we get a txt from the van advising us that the mains has tripped, we need to go straight back instead of say stopping for that coffee and cake en route:roflmto:

Eddie

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
The OP asks, " Air Conditioning - Worthwhile Or Unnecessary?" I'd say it depends on where you intend to travel and at what time of the year.

Also most if not ALL air conditioning devices are noisy, no great problem during the day but at night could drive your neighbours mad
angry-mob.gif

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
After months of freezing cold every day, i`ll be glad to be as hot as possible :thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The OP asks, " Air Conditioning - Worthwhile Or Unnecessary?" I'd say it depends on where you intend to travel and at what time of the year.

Also most if not ALL air conditioning devices are noisy, no great problem during the day but at night could drive your neighbours mad
angry-mob.gif

I find that once the A/C has been on all day the van is nice a cool anyway so sleeping isn't a problem. It isn't being hot during the night I find, more being able to fall asleep when it is hot and sticky.

Also some A/C systems have a "fresh air" mode. At night when the air is cool, often cooler than the air inside the motorhome the A/C unit (some) will extract the warm air from inside and pump it outside, replacing with the cool air from outside. This isn't noisy as it is just the fan running at low speed, and the compressor isn't operating.

American RV systems are much noisier than the modern European systems, but because they're more powerful they work better (from a cooling perspective! (BTW your typing in bold lol)

Eddie

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
As I live in Spain find it is a must have, van is fitted with cab air con and the hab air con can be run through the invertor when the engine is running, used it a lot in Italy and Croatia last year::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back