Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Is there a different type of gas in American air con units?

I have enquired as to get mine re-charged but have been told that Americans use a gas that is illeagal in the uk :Confused::Confused:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Rubbish.

Assuming you're on the chassis side, ie dash they can be regassed. I don't know when but the refrigerant used changed generally some years ago across the board so it does depend on age. Your Winne looks a '96 (?) so a regas isn't an issue, R134 is the current, somebody correct me but it'll be on a lable under the laughable bonnet. I had ours done last year, chap came to us for ease and even given the huge amount of gas compared to a normal car he charged about £40 and it's still freeeezing cold in use, wouldn't ideally be without it traveling on a sunny day with them gert big windows:thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
R134a, I googled it, is the current. Have a look in the bonnet area and there should be a lable detailing gas type, as the old R12 and current R134a arn't interchangable, something to do with seals I think. The lable will also give the correct weight of gas for your Winne.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Just had a look, can't find ref. to R12/R134a , but the compressor is SD 709, which equates to R12.
While I googled SD709 I found a piece on the compatibility of R134a with the SD 709 it would appear that it was first thought that they would not be compatible but in fact they are, although recharging may be needed more often due to leakage in older hoses, and the smaller molecule of the R134a or the drop in refridgerants.

Upvote 0

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
had a few american cars over the years and they have been topped up with the newer stuff. i to have heard that the seal can go quicker but i have,nt suffered any problems. ( so far):thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back