Air compressor / tyre inflator

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Allanm, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I've been looking for one of these recently with enough power to keep my vans tyres up to pressure. Looking back on earlier threads, it looks like the Ring RAC900 was the most popular but I have read conflicting reports about recent quality of these units.
    Are they still one of the best at their price or is there something else I should consider?
    Allan

2. Spenders

Spenders

I bought one

I decided to get one a few months ago and after reading the various answers to threads on here I went for the RAC600 model.

I've used it about four times now... three times just fine and once when it seemed to lock up and not pump.... but then was fine the next time I used it.

It seems quite quick for such a small unit but not too noisy. I like it and it has a neat carrying case for tidy stowage aboard the van.

Simon

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have the RAC600 and its been used a lot over the last couple of months as I had a slow leak in one tyre.
    I bought one of the Maplin heavy duty ones before this one and it only lasted a couple of times before it packed up. I suppose it would be fine if you were lucky with the particular example you had as it was fairly robust but very cheap and nasty switch and pretty poor soldering inside.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I've never really been happy with Maplins stuff, except for small items and batteries, everything I have bought from there has broken.
    I'll have a look at the RAC600, but the 900 looks pretty good and many more reviews seem to like it than not. I may just have to bite the bullet and shell out £69 at Amazon
    Allan

6. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

I have used the RAC900 for just over three years now and I cannot fault it.

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ordered an RAC900 yesterday and it turned up this morning. All car tyres in the street pumped up, it coped easily with 5.5 bar on the van. Looks like a nice well made bit of kit.
    Thanks everyone
    Allan :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would find the RAC900 a bit awkward to use as it has to connect direct to the battery. It draws too much current for a lighter socket.
    My engine battery is under the passenger footwell and is difficult to access. Neither of my house batteries are accessible either.
    The RAC600 is not as fast but will run off a lighter socket, and is much cheaper.

9. Allanm

Allanm Funster

My leisure batteries are under one of the side facing sofas and easy to get to. I also have a jump start battery that I can connect to easily so power isn't a problem
    Allan

10. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I have the RAC900 that connects to a battery. I keep a spare battery in the garage which I lug about to do the van and the cars and the push bikes ( carefully) But the leads /hose it quite long enough to work off the vans battery or a cars.

Proper bit of kit.........one of those buys I have not yet regretted.

barry :Smile: