Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I didn't know where to stick this, so I've stuck it here. Hope it's OK.

Whilst the Lifeboat Service has been exempt from VAT on fuel costs since 1977, a similar privilege has not been afforded to the Air Ambulance Service;
Is there any chance some of you might like to sign this e-petition to help the air ambulances reclaim vat on their fuel?

This was posted on another forum I infest, personally I think it's pretty disgusting. They are both funded by charitable donations after all.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I support the cause entirely 100%
But why are they not vat registered and claim it all back:Doh:

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have no idea Geo. Are charities different? because they don't supply CHARGEABLE goods or services?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Charities generally are not registered for VAT unless they charge for goods and services, and were they to do this, it can raise doubt in the mind of the Charity Commission as to whether they are, in fact, a charity at all or a business that should not have charitable status. Obviously, some charities do sell goods - e.g. RSPB optical equipment - and where this is the case, they will be VAT registered and both charge output VAT and be able to recover input VAT. Charities are allowed to sell goods that are related to supporting their core objects, e.g. fund-raising ventures such as shops.
Charities providing services are in a more complicated area. If the services are chargeable to a core funder (e.g. a CAB providing Legal Aid, or possibly if an Air Ambulance charged a PCT) it might be the case that this was considered a VAT taxable service. However, if the service is discretionary on the part of the funder, rather than something they are obligated to supply and would have to expend their own funds to deliver if the charity were not doing it for them, then this is generally not considered a taxable supply. And where a charity is registered for VAT and supplies some taxable services alongside its core charitable work, it can only recover VAT on its costs that are related to those specific services, not on its entire operation. Without Output VAT on sales, a charity cannot recover Input VAT on costs.

As a final thought on the matter of whether it is 'fair' that a charity cannot recover VAT, don't forget that a charity can make 'reasonable' operating surpluses (profit if it were a commercial undertaking) but does not pay corporation tax on these retained surpluses. So long, that is, as its reserves can be shown to be necessary for its long-term operation and do not become excessive: if they do, then the Charity Commission starts asking awkward questions.

In Omnibus Caritas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Done.

Both for me and oh, Im a keen suportor of YAA and AA in general, having had family use of this service in the past.

Im agast that it not publicly fully funded:Angry:

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Done and put on other forums

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

deckie

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Clubman GL
Exp
46 yrs
This has also been posted on ASOF (Autosleeper owners)

Have 'signed' :thumb:

Deckie

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Surely the point here is that the air ambulance is a charity at all, I personally think its a national disgrace that this so called world leading western country of ours does not have a government funded air ambulance service. :Angry::Angry:

Politicians hang your heads in shame :Angry::Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back