Air Ambulance Service

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sedge, Mar 12, 2012.

1. sedge

sedge Funster

I didn't know where to stick this, so I've stuck it here. Hope it's OK.

Whilst the Lifeboat Service has been exempt from VAT on fuel costs since 1977, a similar privilege has not been afforded to the Air Ambulance Service;
    Is there any chance some of you might like to sign this e-petition to help the air ambulances reclaim vat on their fuel?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29349

This was posted on another forum I infest, personally I think it's pretty disgusting. They are both funded by charitable donations after all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I support the cause entirely 100%
    But why are they not vat registered and claim it all back:Doh:

3. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

iv just done it

4. SilverF1

SilverF1 Funster

Duly signed. I wouldn't be here now without my local air ambulance.

5. sedge

sedge Funster

I have no idea Geo. Are charities different? because they don't supply CHARGEABLE goods or services?

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Charities generally are not registered for VAT unless they charge for goods and services, and were they to do this, it can raise doubt in the mind of the Charity Commission as to whether they are, in fact, a charity at all or a business that should not have charitable status. Obviously, some charities do sell goods - e.g. RSPB optical equipment - and where this is the case, they will be VAT registered and both charge output VAT and be able to recover input VAT. Charities are allowed to sell goods that are related to supporting their core objects, e.g. fund-raising ventures such as shops.
    Charities providing services are in a more complicated area. If the services are chargeable to a core funder (e.g. a CAB providing Legal Aid, or possibly if an Air Ambulance charged a PCT) it might be the case that this was considered a VAT taxable service. However, if the service is discretionary on the part of the funder, rather than something they are obligated to supply and would have to expend their own funds to deliver if the charity were not doing it for them, then this is generally not considered a taxable supply. And where a charity is registered for VAT and supplies some taxable services alongside its core charitable work, it can only recover VAT on its costs that are related to those specific services, not on its entire operation. Without Output VAT on sales, a charity cannot recover Input VAT on costs.

As a final thought on the matter of whether it is 'fair' that a charity cannot recover VAT, don't forget that a charity can make 'reasonable' operating surpluses (profit if it were a commercial undertaking) but does not pay corporation tax on these retained surpluses. So long, that is, as its reserves can be shown to be necessary for its long-term operation and do not become excessive: if they do, then the Charity Commission starts asking awkward questions.

In Omnibus Caritas

7. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Done.

Both for me and oh, Im a keen suportor of YAA and AA in general, having had family use of this service in the past.

Im agast that it not publicly fully funded:Angry:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

Also done :thumb:
    terry

9. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Done and put on other forums

10. deckie

deckie Read Only Funster

This has also been posted on ASOF (Autosleeper owners)

Have 'signed' :thumb:

Deckie

11. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Surely the point here is that the air ambulance is a charity at all, I personally think its a national disgrace that this so called world leading western country of ours does not have a government funded air ambulance service. :Angry::Angry:

Politicians hang your heads in shame :Angry::Angry:

• Like Like x 2