Aid to remembering corner steadies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DESCO, Apr 21, 2009.

1. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi All.

On reading posts on forgeting corner steadies I just thought that a tip given to me by an older motorcaravanner years ago might help some it did me.:thumb:

After parking up and lowering steadies place brace across foot pedals in cab, you can't drive off then with them down. I know when I was useing them I never had problems again, and no red face.:Blush:

Dave

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

as a newbe thats a great tip, I was dreading doing that, now with a simple trick no:Blush:

so a big:thumb:

3. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Good Idea...............but no good to us in Yanks as ours are pull down steadies and so no brace needed.............I put a post-it on the dials to remind me :thumb:

Boo

4. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

BOO this is your signature.

I'm never getting married again................just gonna buy a house for some women who don't like me..........and just cut out the years of misery

Hi Boo

I don't like you, hee hee, so I will have a nice new bungalow in Ilfracombe please.

Cheers

Lesley

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

really not a problem if you're on grass......two lovely deep plough forrows 'til you realise you aint going as fast as you should....:Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Same for us.

I leave a yellow cloth over the steering wheel whenever I put the legs down or if I turn the gas on for the fridge while parked up for shopping etc.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

or you could buy one of Jims motorhome check lists :thumb::Wink::RollEyes:

never forgot anything again....

8. mfh27748

mfh27748 Read Only Funster

corner steadies

I'm looking for a pair of corner steadies for an Autotrail Apache 634l(2008) apart from the factory any Suggestions.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Try winding the electric cable around one to remind you after you unplug :Rofl1: then again you need something to remind you to unplug before driving :Doh::Rofl1:
    terry

11. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

You could try Mnemonics. Mnemonics is using a main word, and the letters meaning items to remember. They are used a lot in flying training, and help you to remember important things, especially when your head and hands are full, and things MUST be remembered, and in a specific order. One such mnemonic is BUMPFICH, that helps me remember prior to landing, (Brakes) off-(Undercarriage) down and locked, (Mixture) rich, (Primer) locked, (and pump on), (Fuel) on and contents sufficient, (Instruments) working and correct, (Carb heat) on then off at 300ft, (Hatches and Harnesses) locked and secure.
    Now with motorhomes you could have something like LEAVING, meaning, (Legs or Levellers) stowed, (Electric) cable disconnected and stored, (Antenna) down and locked, (Vents) and windows secure, (Interior) fixtures and fittings secure, (Nothing) left underneath or outside,
    (Gently) vacate pitch and lookaround once more. Anything along these lines is good, and if it helps you remember all the better. Just a thought.
    Craig.

12. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

How about SOFT Used in the Army a lot before driving away.
    S - Stores/Safety Is my load secure and safe. I do a visual check around the vehicle to ensure windows are secure and steadies are up etc My lady wife does the same indoors Simple isn't it!!
    O - Oil Dip and check level
    F - Fuel Do I have enough for the journey
    T - Tyres Check pressure

Why not start a thread on Mneumonics There must be hundreds out there:thumb: