Ah! So that's where you dump it!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by longdog, Sep 30, 2014.

1. longdog

longdog Funster

Yes, another grey water thread!

Followed an Autotrail Navajo on a 60 plate off the M4 and up the A4067 to his home today and yes, his grey water drain tap was open and yes, he shared it with all and sundry!

2. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

its soapy water, where do you wash your car ?on the road?

• Like Like x 12
  3. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

As it has been quite dry this year, I have been to a couple of rallies where I have been asked by the site owner to dump grey water in the hedgerows and on the grass at the edge of the site, just to help keep it alive.
    Most detergents are now bio degradable and it must make environmental sense to release this water and let nature process this water locally and naturally rather than spend money pumping it to treatment plant that only do the same as the natural process.

Severn Trent alone spend over £1 000 000 a week on electricity just pumping fresh water to you and waste water to the treatment plants!

Eco living encourages grey water to be stored and reused to water plants and flush toilets etc, so letting grey go responsibly has got to be good for all

• Like Like x 9
  4. SMB

SMB Funster

My only problem with emptying grey water onto the road is if there is grease in it from cooking, won't help other motorists roadholding! Apparently the French cops fine you now if they see you driving with it open, then again they fine you for breathing so no change there :swear2:

• Like Like x 2
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Been at Lincoln this weekend, great place to water the grass, it really helps the ground, so no objection from me to letting grey water go before you move

But if you do this why drive off with the valves still open, there is not much left, but every bump and bend leaves some behind for your fellow campers :mad:

Then most of what's left will come out as you pull off site, a nice 'thank you for having us' :mad:

The balance then offends virtually everybody who has the misfortune to drive behind you for the next few miles :mad:

It's just inconsiderate and rude, IMO :mad:

• Like Like x 6
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Kept my tap closed all weekend
    On the way home, found a suitable unmade bit of track in top a tree stand and stopped in there ( folk proly thought I was some sort of weirdo ! )
    Duly dumped, closed the tap and continued home..
    Thee is always somewhere to dump without causing an issue...
    Mind you, some places I leave the tap open while parked up.. depends on the ground, depends on the circumstance.. depends if I remember !!!

• Like Like x 6
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I never close my tap I just put a carrier bag with holes puncture in it full of grass under the tap the grass caches all the crap you just throw the bag in the bin(y)
    has any one peed in there shower on to there feet nice and warm it is:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 6
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

yellow water sports lol

9. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

whoopee a grey water thread, let the fun begin ;)

• Like Like x 5
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Diesel and hydraulic oil from non MOTd tractors is a bit more anti roadholding then soapy water, and you can find that everywhere........

• Like Like x 5
  11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

go down any country road its full of "manure" soil from tractor wheels straw everywhere horses crapping on the road and people get upset by a bit of grey water

• Like Like x 8
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Well said, that Labrador! :clap::clap::clap:

• Like Like x 4
  13. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

We found a nice lay by with a drain on the way home not far from home actually & parked up for a while whilst carefully discretely draining into it.
    I saw some doing the same just outside the showground & followed the trail of the one before me out of the showground.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Your driving along 30mph with a 1/2 inch tap open, what's the dilution rate when the already diluted Fairy liquid hits the road? 200ppm (that's a wild guess) but I bet it's quite easily dispersed

• Like Like x 5
  15. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

16. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Why oh why drag this up again and again ???
    Like so many others, who gives a toss, as for grease in the water, use more detergent !!!!!:active::active::active:

• Like Like x 5
  17. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Is it just fairy liquid, ours isn't as we wash, shower and wash up, and it stinks, yes I will let some go on he grass or chuck in a hedge back if it's applicacable but always shut the tap after.

Young couple pushing child in pushchair along side of road, soak child with your waste water, try explaining that it's only a little bit of fairy liquid and water.

• Like Like x 6
  18. auntiebessie

auntiebessie Read Only Funster

DavidG58 says in his post that he considers it "inconsiderate and rude" to leave the grey waste valve open after emptying the tank on the grass at the show, well that`s his opinion and his entitled to it, but I can`t understand why nobody seems to think that allowing the karaoke in the funsters tent to finish at 1am is not `inconsiderate and rude`, believe me I am not a killjoy and I enjoy a party, but the noise level was ridiculous. Why was there not some control over the time it was allowed to go on to.

• Like Like x 3
  19. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I have not seen anybody on this thread saying that disturbing you or anybody else with the karaoke at 1am was not "inconsiderate and rude" yes the tent can be noisy at times and when people are having FUN they might get carried away and forget the affect his has on others and indeed what time it is. If this was your first time with FUN I would suggest another time just ask to be sited away from the marquee, we were some distance away and were not disturbed.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

it's a fun weekend it was a big enough field to be well away from the party and fun
    bill

• Like Like x 2