Aguilas wild camping cleared by police (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having travelled up and down the coast years ago and stayed on just about every beach in Spain at some point, I gave up beaching it after they put the height barrier on Playa Percheles. The winter community there used to be second to non and was served by the bread, fish and vegetable man daily. There was some stunning beaches south of Port de Mazaron and Bolnuevo, but am afraid we motorhomers have become a victim of our own success. When there were maybe half a dozen vans on a deserted beach in winter no one bothered, but there are just too many of us now. Below are a few photos of my favourite beach wilding. The famous Playa percheles, Canada Gallegro.
Morocco 062.jpg
Morocco 061.jpg
Morocco 063.jpg

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If anyone wants a beachside plot in the main season, Playa Montroig is hard to beat. Closed in winter.

It costs an arm and a leg though doesn't it?

Especially for the pitches right on the beach.

I am probably going to drop in there over Easter but not on a beach pitch

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Depends on what you deem as arm and a leg?.

We paid £35 a night May Bank Holiday for a tiny plot on a Yorkshire campsite with just a loo and showers (very nice shower block in fairness). But the 5amp EHU was always tripping.

Playa Montroig at the time worked out at £45 a night in June. But with 16a EHU, Dedicated Water and drainage on a huge pitch.

1 row back is less than £29
Cheapest is around £22

Depends what you want. Plenty of ACSI campsites around. There are few places in the UK we are allowed to stay front line for free. I don't feel it fair we should expect to be able to do the same anywhere else.

Plenty of aires around Normandy that are coastal and free. But even the Aires on the French med are £15 a night, easily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

We paid £35 a night May Bank Holiday for a tiny plot on a Yorkshire campsite with just a loo and showers (very nice shower block in fairness). But the 5amp EHU was always tripping.

Playa Montroig at the time worked out at £45 a night in June. But with 16a EHU, Dedicated Water and drainage on a huge pitch.

Cheapest is around £22

Depends what you want. Plenty of ACSI campsites around. There are few places in the UK we are allowed to stay front line for free. I don't feel it fair we should expect to be able to do the same anywhere else.

Plenty of aires around Normandy that are coastal and free. But even the Aires on the French med are £15 a night, easily.

Thought Montroig was a 19 euro ACSI,,BUSBY..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Cheapest is around £22

I ain't knocking it - I love the site and have been every year over the last 3/4 years.

I am usually in school holidays too so the beach side pitches get a bit pricey ( €104 I think over 4 days at Easter) and much more in July and August

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
But aren't these photos the very reason so many MH are attracted to come to Spain in the winter?
Maybe we should have lots of pictures of the now crowded wild camps to show how it has changed.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Having travelled up and down the coast years ago and stayed on just about every beach in Spain at some point, I gave up beaching it after they put the height barrier on Playa Percheles. The winter community there used to be second to non and was served by the bread, fish and vegetable man daily. There was some stunning beaches south of Port de Mazaron and Bolnuevo, but am afraid we motorhomers have become a victim of our own success. When there were maybe half a dozen vans on a deserted beach in winter no one bothered, but there are just too many of us now. Below are a few photos of my favourite beach wilding. The famous Playa percheles, Canada Gallegro.
View attachment 142031 View attachment 142032 View attachment 142034
Percheles beech 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_20150218_133926.jpg
    IMG_20150218_133926.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I think part of the problem too is they're moving people on and so more vans are parking up where you don't get moved, then that spot become too popular....repeat until no beaches left. Also some places are deserted from October until Easter so what harm is a few motorhomes parking up and bringing in €€€€. Rant over. :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Percheles beech 2014.

I remember Playa Percheles when there were at least 100 vans on there and the dirt road along the beach back to Bolnuevo had another 100 dotted along it. Sadly those days are long gone and will never return. That was true wild camping, as there were no houses in view but I believe it was stopped because the locals could not get to the beach during fiestas. There was no issues with cassette dumping as there was an abandoned villa at the top of the hill with a septic tank. There used to be water on the beach and big wheely bins for rubbish. The place was spotless as it was self policed by the campers that used it. Great times were had down there years ago and sometimes I feel sorry for motorhomers just starting out in the hobby, that they cannot enjoy many of the places that we did in the heyday of motorhoming. As I said earlier, we have become victims of our own success. There are a few out of the way beaches left, but people keep them more to themselves now. Many of us carried dirt bikes and would ride along the dirt roads looking for deserted beaches before moving on in those days so it was much easier than now. The other thing that helped was that there was little or no internet then, so everything was word of mouth. Nowadays once someone posts something on a forum, the world and his dog knows about it in 5 minutes.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I think part of the problem too is they're moving people on and so more vans are parking up where you don't get moved, then that spot become too popular....repeat until no beaches left. Also some places are deserted from October until Easter so what harm is a few motorhomes parking up and bringing in €€€€. Rant over. :)

As an observer until we get our van around 90 days left of the search
I know from Caravanning for over 20 years not everyone camping anywhere brings in the Euros
We have watched Dutch campers set up their caravans and M/H on sites in Spain where they bring out their freezers full of food and I'm talking tall ones specially designed to get through caravan doorways - he boasted to me that he could last three months without shopping
So there's a reason why some places don't like those that camp up without paying for anything

I know it's not always the case and there are those of us who spend money willingly to experience the locale but why do places in France and Spain close for the winter there are those of us who would like to visit and spend money aren't there?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
but why do places in France and Spain close for the winter

Possibly because

1. the owners want a break
2. money seems to matter less to business owners in France particularly
3. maybe there is just not enough business to bother staying open

Remember that here in SW France shops etc close for holidays even in high season

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Possibly because

3. maybe there is just not enough business to bother staying open

Remember that here in SW France shops etc close for holidays even in high season

Don't know why I forgot about the holidays as can remember almost running out of diesel on one trip
But re #3
with the numbers of m/h being moved on there is obviously demand but I have yet to find a small site that didn't need the money ( I'm friends with a couple and they never turn anyone away if they can help it)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
But aren't these photos the very reason so many MH are attracted to come to Spain in the winter?
Maybe we should have lots of pictures of the now crowded wild camps to show how it has changed.

As I said earlier. The heyday of beach wilding in Spain was before everyone had internet access and good spots were passed on by word of mouth. Its not wild campers that have killed the beach camping, its the internet. Once someone posts coordination's on the internet within a few days the place is swamped with motorhomes. Thats when the Spanish plod gets annoyed. Those that still beach camp keep there finds to themselves nowadays. Its a pity, but a fact of life, there are now just to many motorhomes. Fifteen years ago you would be hard pressed to see a Spanish registered motorhome as they couldn't afford one. Now there are almost as many as there are Dutch.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Don't know why I forgot about the holidays as can remember almost running out of diesel on one trip
But re #3
with the numbers of m/h being moved on there is obviously demand but I have yet to find a small site that didn't need the money ( I'm friends with a couple and they never turn anyone away if they can help it)

Weather not good enough in France to provide the demand for sites to be open in winter and the demand for sites in Spain in the winter exceeds the number of pitches,,,Most sites on Costa Blanca are pretty full over the winter thus the amount of wild camping,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back