Aguilas wild camping cleared by police (1 Viewer)

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
It happened last year and again just now all the great wild camping spots near Aguilas have been cleared by the police. And lots of new signs erected stating no camping etc. It may be okay in a few days it may not, just a heads up if you are planning to WC At Aguilas

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not surprised. Some had been on the beach over the road to Bellavista for weeks. I see that the 'Anibal' garage has his camperstop open now. Bet it is full now lol Was only about 10 in there the other day. I see also that they have LPG as well.

I noticed lots of new No camping signs out at the exit of Calabardina into Cabo cope on thursday. Along with the 'slow ' tortoises crossing signs.:LOL: Also signs asking you not to walk on the fossil beach all around there.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Not surprised. Some had been on the beach over the road to Bellavista for weeks. I see that the 'Anibal' garage has his camperstop open now. Bet it is full now lol Was only about 10 in there the other day. I see also that they have LPG as well.

I noticed lots of new No camping signs out at the exit of Calabardina into Cabo cope on thursday. Along with the 'slow ' tortoises crossing signs.:LOL: Also signs asking you not to walk on the fossil beach all around there.
What's the Anibal parking like and how much?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do you happen to know if they are they also clamping down on Playa la Higuerica and Playa Carolina, about 5kms south of Aguilas? Tragedy if they are because those are two lovely locations for a few nights.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The regional government of Murcia said last year that they would be taking action on wilding on the beaches so I expect it will cover all of the areas used in Murcia. It's hardly surprising as the numbers have grown tremendously over the years and some of the motorhomers stay long term and abuse their surroundings.

A couple who left Totana the other day for a few days on the coast before heading further south were issued with a notice. Unfortunate for them that they got caught at that particular time. As we've said for a long time the few will spoil it for all.

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
Do you happen to know if they are they also clamping down on Playa la Higuerica and Playa Carolina, about 5kms south of Aguilas? Tragedy if they are because those are two lovely locations for a few nights.
According to people on other social media yes, top part of Carolina and higuerica. Higuerica were just having some very strongly worded signs put up as well apparently.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the update. Last time we were there in Nov, one French van had been on the top isthmus of Carolina for weeks, apparently. Heavy plant was on site at Higuerica, we hoped it was to improve the ground for campers but evidently not. Darned shame - a lovely place to wake up in the morning. :(

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We'd sometimes quite like to take our motorhome down to our local beaches near Mazarron to go for a coastal walk and have a meal and look at the view, spend the night maybe have another walk the next morning and come home. But we haven't (and won't and probably can't now) because we didn't want to add to the numbers there :( and compound the problems.

Don't know whether the beaches are being cleared around Mazarron and La Azohia now as well.

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
We'd sometimes quite like to take our motorhome down to our local beaches near Mazarron to go for a coastal walk and have a meal and look at the view, spend the night maybe have another walk the next morning and come home. But we haven't (and won't and probably can't now) because we didn't want to add to the numbers there :( and compound the problems.

Don't know whether the beaches are being cleared around Mazarron and La Azohia now as well.
Not heard anything about La Azohia, I'm sort of surprised because when we there in December both areas were pretty full and everyone was out with chairs etc. Lots of them seemed to have been there a long time. We were going to pop back in for a night at the end of the month, so I'll be waiting to see if it gets cleared as well.

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Anibal parking €7 to stay and service €9 with 6amp electric. Cassette empty and grey in the garage not in the compound. Also a chargeable laundry and showers, free toilets it can be noisy lots of barking dogs. Free wifi very slow.
La Carolina also cleared. I'm at la azohia now along with about 50 others.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It happened last year and again just now all the great wild camping spots near Aguilas have been cleared by the police. And lots of new signs erected stating no camping etc. It may be okay in a few days it may not, just a heads up if you are planning to WC At Aguilas
We stopped there for lunch on Friday,& spoke to a fellow camper who witnessed an older couple the previous day being intimidated by a local telling them to move on, himself & some other campers came to their assistance and he cleared off but came back later in he's car & began screeching around the beach . As we left a number of people we're standing by the sign (which had apparently been put up the day before )giving us dirty looks.Don't suppose we'll be going back.Moved down the coast for the night to castillo de macenas, lovely spot.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
This is exactly why I won't give away all of my free spots.

I know of a coastal spot with far reaching views where on many mornings you can see the dolphins swimming. You can even launch a kayak and the dolphins will smiw around you.

It's a stunning spot, reached by a narrow road where you would never think to look.

I could put the coordinates on here and within a year, or so would be overflowing with long term motorhomes.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We stopped for a few nights at the Buena Vista campsite at Aquilas, last year. It's a lovely area, with beautiful coastal walks - only spoilt by the amount of cassette waste which has been emptied out among the bushes etc.
No doubt, it is very much the minority of people who abuse the area in this way, but with such high numbers of vans, that minority will actually constitute a large number of people.
As we cycled into the town, we actually witnessed a couple people, in broad daylight, brazenly emptying their cassettes into the ditch which runs between the cycle path and the large patch of ground used by wild campers.
There's little wonder that the locals are unhappy.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is it that there are many more vans in the area than used to be? We noticed that there were a lot less French in Morocco last couple of years (due to the "Troubles") and had surmised that they were staying in Spain and Portugal instead.

Whilst we are quite happy to wildcamp in a suitable spot, because of this we now tend to use aires and campsites - currently meandering down the Spanish coast to go to Morocco later in the month.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We were driving up through Aguilas last week and saw the hordes on the beach opp. Belle Vista.

We were going to stop at Higuerica but decided against it. We did notice however that there were many, 'Wilding' further down the coast.

Just for info. Carolina and Higuerica are both at the very southern edge of the Murcia Region. If the Spanish are similar to the UK, their Police Area's will mirror the Political region's boundary. In other words, the Police in Murcia will cover those two beaches BUT NO FURTHER SOUTH.

Further to the above and of a different location. The street's surrounding Lidl at Calpe are covered, both sides with 'Wilders' and, for those who know the street near Mercadona that was used for ITV checks, it also full of motorhomes.

It seems to me that everywhere where a new Camperstop is opened, the Police make a point of harassing the wilders presumably with a view to getting them to use the 'new' facilities on offer. Spain has opened numerous new 'Area's' in the past twelve months and I anticipate that where they open one, the opportunity for 'wilding' will diminish.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have noticed there are more than usual number of wilders at Cabo de Gata and further along at the lighthouse end they must have moved down the coast hope they are not dumping cassette waste everywhere it makes it bad for everyone.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

Anibal parking €7 to stay and service €9 with 6amp electric. Cassette empty and grey in the garage not in the compound. Also a chargeable laundry and showers, free toilets it can be noisy lots of barking dogs. Free wifi very slow.
La Carolina also cleared. I'm at la azohia now along with about 50 others.

Not out of the way at that price. Also you can park in the Marina in front of the Don Juan hotel along the beach. @ianthebuilder stayed there last year. Think it was 10 €/night with first night free. & excellent wifi from the hotel.Think it was water /waste no ehu though

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
Have noticed there are more than usual number of wilders at Cabo de Gata and further along at the lighthouse end they must have moved down the coast hope they are not dumping cassette waste everywhere it makes it bad for everyone.
There seemed to be a sudden influx Fri night! We packed up and left first thing sat morning, they had jammed themselves in bumper to bumper around us lol.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We spend the night yesterday at Playa Las Palmeras, just south of La Carolina and in Andalucia. No restrictions there, even the baker arrived at 8.30! That was a surprise. Beautiful place.
Yeah, just over the Mucia border. ;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There seemed to be a sudden influx Fri night! We packed up and left first thing sat morning, they had jammed themselves in bumper to bumper around us lol.
Did you notice what nationality ?? Or were they mixed. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Do you think that "travellers" would be more welcome as wild campers in England if they dumped their Transit-types and caravans and bought motorhomes?

Most of their permanent sites have plenty of Mh's , the ones in Essex anyway. As to 'bought ' that's debatable. & no it's all the other thieving they do that means they'll never be welcome.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
we were on aguilas beach nearest the town around new year time for a few days and were surprised how many where on there for long periods, even a german caravan , one french guy had been there 2 months ,must have been 60 vans at one time. local walkers were making comments about not being able to get on the beach to park.
also noticed long stayers were lifting a drain cover at back of the beach and emptying cassettes this appeared to be a surface water drain.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
also the new place at the garage looked quite good 7 euros with wifi and water, very clean

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
French and German, and 1 x Spanish registered Benimar was the last one in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back