Agonising decision (1 Viewer)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
And I could equally post some photos of horrendously abused dogs, by humans.....and your point is?

That, perhaps, a dog isn't the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself?

I was responding to that particular post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would like to ask a question please.

The OP says he doesn't want o have to get up first thing to take the dog out to do what he needs to do. Well doesn't he need to do that at home? Isn't it part of the 'thing' of owning a dog or a cat? - notwithstanding whether you live in a bungalow, a mansion, a high-rise flat or a caravan/tent. They need letting out when they need letting out and that's that. So what difference is there being in the MoHo?

This bit is one of my great dilemmas, at home I poddle down in my jarmies let Lola out and often leave door open while I go back to make coffee etc

On sites it is not so simple, my jarmies are fairly decent but folk don't really want to see my bulk wandering round in them first thing in the morning, and I cant really let Lola wander off on her own on a site. That said if she is obliging and wakes up before light I have been known to open the door and whisper to her 'be quick' her instruction to have a wee, praying she doesn't wander off or need a No. 2

I commend the OP for his open admission / question, this is a forum I come to for discussion and advice, if I don't like the topic I don't join in (or try hard not to anymore)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I sometimes catch a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror when I get up
Bet it's on the ceeling? ..... It's on the bloody ceeling , isn't it ?!

Sorry, thread drift.... "Guilty as charged m'Lord"

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I sometimes catch a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror when I get up......convinced we have an intruder cos that fat object staring back cant be me.

I know what you mean.

We seem to have an unwanted fat bastard in the bathroom every morning.

I tell him to F off but he says the same back.

Perhaps I should get a dog.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, not hiccups..... More of a spewing all over the keyboard moment visualising Papajohn in the buff !!
Fortunately I don't have the imagination for that! :ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
There's someone strange in our bathroom when I need a wee first thing. Think it's a woman but God knows who she is - completely blurred. But there again so is everything else in the bathroom and down the hall and back in the bedroom again.

She's never in there when I go in later having got up properly and put my glasses on though.

Odd that.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 13 year old Jack Russell we bought her for my Father in May 2001 after my mother died, he called her Scrumpy and she gave my father the will to get up and look after her, she gave him another 5 years of life. On my Dads last 3 weeks on earth Scrumpy jumped on his bed and stretched herself out alongside him and pushed her muzzle into his arm pit, when the district nurse first came to help my dad I said if the dog's a problem I would take her down to my house and the nurse replied that the dog was fine. Anyway we've had Scrumpy now for 9 years and she looks after us just the same, we take her everywhere with us in the motorhome she's had a pet passport for 6 years now and everywhere we go everyone and I mean everyone falls in love with her. When we get back from abroad she refuses to get out of the motorhome and we think that she wishes she was back abroad. She sulks for a couple of days when we get back, she's never held us back in anything we do, she's also not a yappy dog and she just brings so much pleasure into our lives.
It must be one of the hardest decisions for the OP to make.

John.

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Broken Link Removed
Please Please Please don't give up your dogs you will regret it, come to a compromise so long in Kennels and so long on your own that way you get the best of both, when you have the dogs with you i am sure they will settle for a quick pee outside the MH on an extended lead then when you have had your tea/coffee off for a walk so many campsites have great big fields near by you can just let them off lead for a run they will settle for as much or little as you want they really just want to be with you, I can feel your heartache you dont know what to do there are problems you have not told us about we should not judge because we don't know what all the problem is, I just last year had to give up one of my dogs broke my heart," see already you are judging me!!!!!" I am 63 had 3 dogs my twin down the road had a stroke so i had to take on her dogs aswell 2 dogs, the one i gave up was a cocker she was the most lively i could not manage 5 dogs so she had to go i still regret it (she went to a friend of mine and is very happy) but i still have to go down the road and take all the dogs out daily except when we are away then the twins dogs just stay in the garden, so come on people dont judge him HELP him with some constructive suggestions, we have been to some great sites just lately with our dogs http://www.stonehengecampsite.co.uk/ this site just cant do enough for you they just love dogs great site, pub 5 mins walk away they love dogs aswell great food, http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/ they have everything resturants, pools, bars, walks, I have not come across a camp site that does not take dogs yet, please people Help him.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
If you don't love your dog enough to gladly and willingly make sacrifices/compromises then I fear you will resent him.................... and it will show and he will know, then maybe you should rehome him. We have travelled extensively with our dog(s) in the motorhome and, yes there are some restrictions as to what you can do, but I for one would never put my own wishes before my dogs needs.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Being a solo traveller I had a little Lancashire Heeler as my companion. Sadly he had to be put to sleep last spring. Whilst I miss him dearly I do appreciate there were some drawbacks when out in the MH. Being a terrier he was inclined to bark when being left and therefore an early morning dash to the shower block wasn't always an option. Also if the weather was very hot then leaving him for an hour or two to go somewhere that didn't accept dogs was also a problem. Having said all that I wouldn't swop the time we had together, but I'm not thinking of replacing him.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
45 years ago I had to give up a dog. I was Expecting a baby. Couldn't keep the dog and I was afraid that it wouldn't get on with my new baby. Gave it to someone who knew a friend of a friend. It has haunted me all these years. So much so that I would never ever give up one of my dogs again. I lost my last little yorkie 2 years ago. She was 15 and a half when she died, had to be put asleep Bless her. I'm just saying.she gave me so much laughter and love.I hated getting up at 1.30 am every single night. Taking her out last thing. Walking her through black nights town and country just to get her to do her business before bed. This has haunted me all this time. I won't get another dog as I don't want to do all that again. But I could never have given her up like the one I mentioned earlier.
Think hard before giving them up. It will haunt you.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would give up motorhoming before I would give up my dog. We alternate taking the dog with us and putting him into kennels, also depends on what is practical depending on the location. If we are wildcamping at the beach then the dog goes and plays by himself and I'm happy that hes also having a holiday.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We only have two things planned this year where the dogs can't come. One is a junior rugby tour where we aren't even taking the MH and the other is a music festival where they obviously can't come with us. They are staying with home boarders both times. All the other trips they are coming. They've even learnt the word - if we say to either of them "holidays" they go and sit by the door ready to go.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There's someone strange in our bathroom when I need a wee first thing. Think it's a woman but God knows who she is - completely blurred. But there again so is everything else in the bathroom and down the hall and back in the bedroom again.

She's never in there when I go in later having got up properly and put my glasses on though.

Odd that.

Jenny, I'm lucky. I have a gorgeous woman in my bathroom when I get up for a weee................................................................THEN I put my glasses on..... :( Some old hag has taken her place... :(

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our motorhome as our dog was getting old and started to get stressed in kennels. They do say a dog is for life. Dogs can be re-homed successfully, but I am sure most would pine for their original owners. The original dog died a couple of years ago, just after buying the MH and only went out with us twice, but we now have another. She is stuck to my side when I am at home, and in the van sits on my knee all the time when traveling. We can leave her in the van for a few hours in the evening when we go out, just the same as at home. As for first thing in the morning, it is the same as at home, you have to get up to let them out there. Please consider the dogs need as well as your own when making this decision. I do not want to criticise you for asking the question, but my dog is part of my family and could not think about letting her go just because I want to do different things - I would work around her.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Getting back to the OP ...... it makes me think in my hour of need financially and whether I can afford to run a motorhome .... there is a call for a business on rallies of Dog Minding ... if I wasn't so in a turmoil at the moment it might be worth considering ... I never understand why more mh Washing entrepeneurs arn't at rallies.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
For our long trips we use house sitters who live in your house for free in exchange for looking after your dogs. They have been great. Better than giving up your dogs. Look at the link.

We are registered sitters on the site above and have to date looked after 25+ houses with pets ( parked our MH on the drive in most cases ) some as long as 3 months. We leave our 2 x cats in the MH and they are more than happy. No stress for the pets in their own home..... PERFECT

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Who is the dog lover?
The OP who whould give up his dog or the camper who lets his dog lose on. Campsite to mess anywhere they want rather than take it for a walk.
And yes I have seen this on campsites.
Dog lovers who go shopping in Spain and leave two dogs locked in a Motorhome.
At least the OP wants a beter life for his dogs IMO

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back