Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 3 dogs and they have US trained NOT to kick them out early in a morning for a wee! We can't usually persuade them to come out from under the duvet (they come on the bed for an hour or so when they first wake up) until 8.30 am at the earliest! We take them with us everywhere in our camper including abroad and never leave them at home/in kennels as they'd go mental - 1 is a rescue, another is the biggest wimp going except when she wants to be on guard duty, and the other gives us the filthiest of looks if we try to get her to do anything she doesn't want to! Our dogs are part of our family and add so much to our enjoyment when on holiday that not having them with us would just be awful, yes they can also restrict what we want to do sometimes but those occasions are rare and they are the trade off for the fun we have with them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well, it is clear that there is a big division of opinion, perhaps it is best to agree to disagree.

Big diversion of opinion?

If there is I am even more shocked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Could never give up our dog, but that is us.
She is so much part of the family and we don't find her a problem at all.
I have sympathy for the OP and fully agree that the debate shouldn't vilify the OP question..... & I believe a brave move to ask a difficult question with the enevitable "rights & wrongs" being aired.
The good thing about this discussion is it has aired the issue here and in a roundabout way it shows us all the importance of taking on the ownership/welfare of an animal.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I guess its a personal thing, one of the reasons for buying a motorhome was that our dogs were getting too old to manage sailing comfortably as they had since they were pups, they never went to kennel's but on odd occasions to obliging friends and relatives for a week. We sold our yacht and bought a motor home. Since getting the mh, sadly we lost both of our original dogs, and now have just one. She adds to our lives and holidays, yes sometimes you have to cater to their needs but, what you get back from them is manifold. I would never part with my dog nor my motorhome and now we have another boat as well, I would not consider going any ware without my best friend.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Big diversion of opinion?

If there is I am even more shocked.
Maybe we are reading different threads. Some agree, most do not.

I'm not posting any more on this as it will just go around in circles

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
You can't ditch your dogs, not if you really care for them that is, We travel with our cat and she's into everything whenever we stop. In the mornings after the BH's alarm goes off but She doesn't get up the cat, after about 2-3 minutes starts gently tapping her on the head which has the desired effect much to the BH's annoyance.
Also there are lot's and lot's of dog owners on MHF and you won't endear yourself to them with thoughts such as you explain.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As far as I can see, nowhere has the OP said that he is going to turn his dog out on the street. He is being responsible and if he makes the decision to part then it will be to someone who can look after it. So please let's not have talk of rescue dogs and abandoned dogs.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As far as I can see, nowhere has the OP said that he is going to turn his dog out on the street. He is being responsible and if he makes the decision to part then it will be to someone would can look after it. So please let's not have talk of rescue dogs and abandoned dogs.

That's how i saw it too.

Everyone so eager to hop onto their #dogooder scooters that they forgot to read the post.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
That's how i saw it too.

Everyone so eager to hop onto their #dogooder scooters that they forgot to read the post.

I read the post perfectly well, thank you, and will always have a strong opinion when it comes to animal welfare. I will make no apology for that. I'm proud to call myself an animal lover, with or without a dogooder scooter!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
As far as I can see, nowhere has the OP said that he is going to turn his dog out on the street. He is being responsible and if he makes the decision to part then it will be to someone would can look after it. So please let's not have talk of rescue dogs and abandoned dogs.

No one is suggesting he is going to turn them out onto the street and your post is way off the mark. What most people are saying, including me, how can the OP even think about getting rid of his pets just because he doesn't like getting up on cold mornings to let them do their toilet or has to make decisions as to where to go. Even if I didn't have a pet any site that excluded animals would NOT get my business AND being responsible has nothing to do with it. A responsible person would make sure their pets are FULLY catered for after all the pets give us complete loyalty and trust us implicitly as we should for them

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
That's how i saw it too.

How awful for you. What a predicament.
We are lucky that our Staffie (now 7) has always been a good traveller. Life is a compromise though.
We went to France for 9 weeks, couldn't leave him that long in kennels. Dogs not allowed on beach, but we, like others, took him on 1st thing and late evening. I see the morning walk as healthy excercise, not had a proper cold since we have had him.
A lot less hassle than children...............!!

NOT EVERYONE

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
As far as I can see, nowhere has the OP said that he is going to turn his dog out on the street. He is being responsible and if he makes the decision to part then it will be to someone who can look after it. So please let's not have talk of rescue dogs and abandoned dogs.

That's how i saw it too.

Thanks folks, that's how I read it too.
I think the OP question shows he is a responsible individual.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As I see it only one or two posts are "dubious".

Most have offered advice, personal experience, or anecdotes of how they organise things. The OP asked for advice in a responsible way and the majority of posts have also been responsible.

The subject of dogs does engender love/hate discussions. Just read the letters pages of the caravan Club magazine!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I read the post perfectly well, thank you, and will always have a strong opinion when it comes to animal welfare. I will make no apology for that. I'm proud to call myself an animal lover, with or without a dogooder scooter!

Well keep scooting then.

By the way when and where did animal welfare become an issue in this debate?

I can see that it arose in your mind but I am struggling to find the reason for it when reading the original post.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
That's how i saw it too.

Yeah well the OP put himself in the firing line by telling us in the misguided hope many would sympathize. Well he got his answer didn't he

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yeah well the OP put himself in the firing line by telling us in the misguided hope many would sympathize. Well he got his answer didn't he

He did indeed get his answer.

He is probably as gobsmacked as me by the reading skills on here but what the hell.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
As for animal welfare don't you think they will be distressed at being made to leave their home.
Well I can confirm they do. When because of unpleasant circumstances I had to rehome my Great Dane. Over the next few months he pined until he died because as I later discovered he wouldn't eat anything and eventhough it was a 3-4 decades ago I still feel guilty when I think about it

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As for animal welfare don't you think they will be distressed at being made to leave their home.
Well I can confirm they do. When because of unpleasant circumstances I had to rehome my Great Dane. Over the next few months he pined until he died because as I later discovered he wouldn't eat anything and eventhough it was a 3-4 decades ago I still feel guilty when I think about it

Have you even read the OP?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We take our two.
We put our two in kennels.

All depends where we are going.

One is a 7 year old Russell, the other is an 11 year old retriever/shepherd cross.
When at home they can, and often are, left indoors most of the day.....no problem, no mess.
In the Rv the Russell is no problem but the big one gets freaked by folks passing, especially with dogs, and goes on a wrecking spree trying to get out....we can draw the blinds but we can't make him deaf.
Lost track of the fly screens I've replaced.
This is a real problem if we go for a beer or maybe a meal so either we don't or just one of us (usually me at meets) goes for a beer.

But one thing is a given....when these two die we will remain dogless.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We take our two.
We put our two in kennels.

All depends where we are going.

One is a 6 yo Russell, the other is an 11 year old retriever/shepherd cross.
When at home they can, and often are, left indoors most of the day.....no problem, no mess.
In the Rv the Russell is no problem but the big one gets freaked by folks passing, especially with dogs, and goes on a wrecking spree trying to get out....we can draw the blinds but we can't make him deaf.
Lost track of the fly screens I've replaced.
This is a real problem if we go for a beer or maybe a meal so either we don't or just one of us (usually me at meets) goes for a beer.

But one thing is a given....when these two die we will remain dogless.

Thanks PJ.

I don't have dogs at the moment, and haven't since I was about 17.

If I was thinking of getting a dog I don't think I would ask the question on here.

If it wasn't a rescue dog I would be akin to a terrorist I think.

I think I will bungle along on my own.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
e45d04e230f819bc40beb7878f59a984.jpg

(y):)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Do you know what I dislike people been bullied because they have a different opinion, it was a fair question and I see know reason for it not to be asked.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I would like to ask a question please.

The OP says he doesn't want o have to get up first thing to take the dog out to do what he needs to do. Well doesn't he need to do that at home? Isn't it part of the 'thing' of owning a dog or a cat? - notwithstanding whether you live in a bungalow, a mansion, a high-rise flat or a caravan/tent. They need letting out when they need letting out and that's that. So what difference is there being in the MoHo?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would like to ask a question please.

The OP says he doesn't want o have to get up first thing to take the dog out to do what he needs to do. Well doesn't he need to do that at home? Isn't it part of the 'thing' of owning a dog or a cat? - notwithstanding whether you live in a bungalow, a mansion, a high-rise flat or a caravan/tent. They need letting out when they need letting out and that's that. So what difference is there being in the MoHo?
First sensible post.

Question the OP, don't condemn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back