AGM Starter / Leisure Batteries (1 Viewer)

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I have an old S700 1992 Hymer and need to replace both batteries.

I have quite a few constraints which means I don't think it will be possible to get a great solution.

The first is space. My battery bay will only house two batteries with a max height of 220 and width of 175. Length isn't an issue. For various reasons I've ruled out locating batteries anywhere else on the van.

Based on past history I really need closer to a 200ah leisure set up than 95ah I am stuck with. Also it struck me that while the starter battery has to do very little work, the leisure battery will be working overtime (I fully understand the differing requirements of each). So I'm thinking about some sort of dual use setup by getting a pair of agms.

In the long run I will probably update the aging charging system which isn't really up to the job of dealing with agms but in the short term I will probably just fully charged both batteries with a smart charger on shore power once a month or so.

I haven't thought it through fully yet and would be interested in hearing from anyone with first hand experience of facing a similar issue.

These are the batteries I'm considering
https://www.tayna.co.uk/019-Enduroline-AGM-Car-Battery-P9650.html

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We have two Leoch AGM's. One was on the van when we got it in four years ago, but was not very old. Added a second straight away.
Charge them on the AGM setting of our Votronic solar regulator as we rarely hook up.
Been using them full time for 4 years no probs.
When they do start to wilt, I will be doing what you are thinking of and having 2 for hab and 1 for cab that can be linked together when needed.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We have two Leoch AGM's. One was on the van when we got it in four years ago, but was not very old. Added a second straight away.
Charge them on the AGM setting of our Votronic solar regulator as we rarely hook up.
Been using them full time for 4 years no probs.
When they do start to wilt, I will be doing what you are thinking of and having 2 for hab and 1 for cab that can be linked together when needed.
That's good to know.

I will keep mine separate for the moment but with a good battery monitor I'm inclined to wire them up in parallel. Worst case I would just have to fire up the gennie or wait for some sun if I'd let them drop too low and they weren't able to start the engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back