After the Floods (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I live almost on the banks of the South Tyne in a very rural location. The river went into spate during last weekends deluge, from the debris lines I would say in excess of 5 metres. We were not affected by the flooding many experienced just upriver at Haltwhistle and downriver at Haydon Bridge.

This afternoon I took a walk downriver from our village my first opportunity since the flooding. The amount of debris left behind after the receding waters is something else, what is very upsetting to me as a keen birder and naturalist is the huge amounts of plastic water and soft drink bottles.

The So Tyne valley is and a AONB so where does it all come from? we are poisoning our world with all this rubbish! Showing my age but it was impressed on us as young kids not to litter both at school and TV ads, no one seems to care now.

Attachments

• IMG_1610[1].JPG
    IMG_1610[1].JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1615 (2).JPG
    IMG_1615 (2).JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1612 (2).JPG
    IMG_1612 (2).JPG
    514.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1614 (2).JPG
    IMG_1614 (2).JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1618 (2).JPG
    IMG_1618 (2).JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 90

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Like your comments & love the last picture.
Looks as though it'd be easier to pick up that rubbish now than the bits of all sizes left on the beaches.
Hope the area recovers well.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi CWH didnt intend to include the last which shows the bank slip caused by the flooding, the earth is very loamy and sandy, Rabbits burrows everywhere, floodwater enters under pressure and accelerates erosion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Something I find really annoying, walkers, quite often miles from anywhere, so half serious outdoors types, have carried a drink of some kind up a hill, drink it and can't be &rsed to carry the empty bottle down so chuck in the countryside they have walked for miles to get to :mad::mad:

bad enough youngsters leaving beer cans where they empty them, but they are nearly as bad,

Mums who go on picnics with their little ones, leave all their rubbish possibly tied up in a bag but who do they think is going to come and pick it up for them, it must weigh a fraction of what it weighed going, take the 8loody stuff home with you

Now look what you have done, I was quietly wiling away the time over a G + T, sorting out family plans for Christmas and you and post this, but yes I totally agree with you :)(y)

Saw a program some months ago about Hawaii where they have a monster floating raft of plastic waste keeps turning up, don't think it is very different on our own coast, or rivers by the look of it, trouble is I guess when highest ever water level is breached anything previously deposited is moved on again, but a lot of yours looks pretty new

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The So Tyne valley is and a AONB so where does it all come from? we are poisoning our world with all this rubbish! Showing my age but it was impressed on us as young kids not to litter both at school and TV ads, no one seems to care now.
Children still receive the same education (at least our grandchildren did) so it could well be the fact that morons have more litter to throw away now. Just look at the way some people react against recycling and the plastic bag charge and it indicates how little effort some are willing to put in :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suppose on the positive side the rubbish which was distributed over the countryside is now more concentrated in one place. Just need a community litter pick organised - with as much press and TV publicity as possible.

Of course, the visible litter is only what was left behind. How much more was swept out to sea?

Impressive to sea a train was washed up. Someone should be along to collect that soon. :xlaugh:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I suppose on the positive side the rubbish which was distributed over the countryside is now more concentrated in one place. Just need a community litter pick organised - with as much press and TV publicity as possible.

Of course, the visible litter is only what was left behind. How much more was swept out to sea?

Impressive to sea a train was washed up. Someone should be along to collect that soon. :xlaugh:

A community litter pick is unfortunately out of the question its all private farmland with restricted access.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Contents of FIL's house after we mucked it out and the evidence of the flooding height at the local park where I walk the dogs :(
20151215_102407[1].jpg
IMG-20151212-WA0003[1].jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back