Aerial For Mifi?

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Robert Clark, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Hi guys
    About to order a Mifi for he MH
    There are various models, some require either a roof mounted aerial or a window mounted one, whereas others dont have any aerial at all
    Is it desirable to have an aerial on a Mifi?

Any MIFI recommendations would also be appreciated

Thanks
    Robert

2. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Clark

Thanks for the reply
    Should I get an aerial though?

4. CherryPirate

CherryPirate Funster

An aerial will give you a better reception in an area where others without an aerial will struggle. Its down to the individual and how much internet is important to you. We have a 4G roof mounted fixed aerial from MotorhomeWIFI. They are excellent at providing advice.

5. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

An external antenna for a MiFi device can make a really big difference. However it won't always take you from "no reception" to "full reception" - it is far more likely to improve a weak signal, although there are occasions where it will make a difference between 3G and 4G as was the case for a couple of people purchasing at Peterborough.

Our low profile roof mounted antenna has a full fitting kit - so you just drill a 25mm hole through the roof of the van and the whole thing self-seals just like a status. This antenna is available in black or white.

In terms of MiFi device there are two models we supply at the moment - The Huawei E5377 and E5372. These are both almost identical, although I do prefer the E5372 slightly as it has TS9 rather than CRC9 antenna sockets spaced further apart.

• Like Like x 3
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

My mifi came with a little magnetic external aerial which improved the signal when fixed to the roof of the MH. I then bought a bigger one off eBay, about £20, which looks more impressive but swapping between the big and little aerials doesn't make any discernable difference. But check you have a roof which is magnetic before buying!

As to which mifi, mines called Hughie or something like that and comes from China and was bought from motorhome WiFi - link as above. It works fine but things change so quickly my specific model is probably now superceded! What I would suggest is fit a USB port somewhere convenient so you can charge and use it at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robert Clark

I can't seem to see the E5372 on your website
    Do you have a link please?
    And do you offer any discounts for Funsters?
    Thanks

8. Addie

We're working on the website this weekend - but we can supply either E5377 or E5372 at the same cost. If you want to chat through the pros/cons of the devices and antennas call Sophie or I on Monday and we'd be happy to answer all of your questions :)

9. Robert Clark

Could you please post the link when you have it?
    Is there a discount for members please?
    Thanks

10. Addie

We don't offer a monetary discount I'm afraid, I'm proud to say our testimonials and forum mentions are from customers who have paid the same price :) We always do our best to help customers with SIM cards, advice and out of hours support.

The MiFi devices and antennas can all be found on this page: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

The E5372 is in stock just not on the website just now, but if you send me an e-mail I can send you the full specification sheets Huawei sent us for both devices for you to compare :)

11. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Daft question time. I'm thinking of getting a Mifi jobby to use with a Three SIM card in Lanzarote this summer. This will hopefully provide for 2 laptops.

Been reading and can it also be used as a signal booster for my mobile phone on EE ?

Or am I being a bit daft ?

13. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

A black one in situ. Lousy picture quality I'm afraid.

Installed by Dave Newell's chaps at the same time as they did the solar panels also visible.

2015-04-25 13.41.01.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Addie

A MiFi device won't boost the cellular signal for your mobile phone.

If you had a MiFi device with a SIM card in connected to an external antenna then potentially it will perform better than your mobile phone - but it will provide a connection via WiFi and thus be using the data from its own SIM and not anything to do with the cellular connection on your phone.

Mobile phone 'boosters' are illegal - unless you spend £400+ on a Cel-Fi device.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Freespirit1

Freespirit1 Read Only Funster

Hi Addie - are you sure about that? As my research says they are both TS9 ports.

16. Manic

Manic Funster

We have a Hauwei 5776 and you can connect 10 devices at once, I've only used 3 at a time.

17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We've got this aerial from Addie and in a not very scientific experiment carried out now on our site at Lake Garda without it the Mifi has no signal. With it connected I have enough signal to post this

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Addie

Yes, quite sure. Just to prove I've got nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon here is a video showing the differences (something I've been meaning to do for a while actually, so thanks for the prompt!).

Hope that helps.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Including us :D

We were at Brassnocker Basin near Bath last week and the phone signal was very iffy. The 4G LTE aerial attached to the Huawei E5372 gave us Internet access with no problems.

20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Please note:) before drilling your Carthago roof to check warranty! As I think only agents are allowed to fix anything to bodywork. Bike racks etc....

• Like Like x 1