Advice sought on purchasing my 1st motorhome (1 Viewer)

Risteard

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ireland
Funster No
MH
2007 Fiat Lunar Champ
Exp
Newbie;)
Hi I would appreciate some advice please. I have a budget of between 22k and 30k to spend on my first motorhome for myself, wife and 2 small children. Could anybody please advise me as to the best kind to buy. Many thanks:)
Richard

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Which Motorhome?

How long have you got?

We have been vanning for just 5 years and are on our 3rd van - first one too big to get to all the places we wanted to go to. Second one great, but bed too small and rubbish oven. Current van - too early to say.

Point is, it is very easy to get it wrong - when it is a very personal choice - your combination of plans/desires/kids/hobbies will be unique - so, given our experience, we would recommend you hire for your first trip.

Let the hire company recommend the van - then try it for size/suitability and talk to as many people as you can at the sites you visit. Their motorhoming experience will outweigh anything a dealer might tell you.

Combine that with the mass of advice you will get on this forum, and you may get it right first time.

Good Luck.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Richard and welcome to motorhome fun quite exciting looking for your first motor home, My advice would be to look around and not to buy one-new buy one two or three years old let somebody else sort any faults out and the drop in value.

Research and find out which is the best layout to suit you with two children, You will need one with storage, you have made a good start finding motorhome fun, use all the resources here, have fun :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome.

all motorhomes demand compromise.

some things will be just right for you but other aspects of the same van wont be...you cant have your cake and eat it in the motorhome world unfortunately.

best option is view as many as possible, noting good and bad points until you find something you can live with.

many folks, us included, have bought the wrong van first time round, and some even the second time. :Doh:

we traded our first one in after 6 months....too small....and lost £5000 in the process. :cry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I can only agree with what Carol and pappajohn have just said.

We bought our first van new about two and a half years ago, we have just traded it in for a slightly longer one, but with a completely different layout. Everything is a compromise, if you had exactly everything you wanted in the van, it would either be too big for our roads and a problem to park, or a very small mpg.
As someone else said hiring is an option, it will let you get the feel of it with two adults and two children in it. Or go along to a motorhome show and have a good old look around and get a feel for what will suit the four of you.
Happy hunting, but take plenty of time over it:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can only agree with what Carol and pappajohn have just said.

We bought our first van new about two and a half years ago, we have just traded it in for a slightly longer one, but with a completely different layout. Everything is a compromise, if you had exactly everything you wanted in the van, it would either be too big for our roads and a problem to park, or a very small mpg.
As someone else said hiring is an option, it will let you get the feel of it with two adults and two children in it. Or go along to a motorhome show and have a good old look around and get a feel for what will suit the four of you.
Happy hunting, but take plenty of time over it:thumb:

that sounds just like an American RV. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Size ! with 2 kids and 2 adults you should be tempted to get a larger van as living on top of each other for extended periods is better with space. offset that against driving something very large, parking it, storing it, MPG and anything over 6 metres upwards can start attracting extra charges from everything from campsite pitches to tunnel/ferry fees.

If you go secondhand try to get something with a full service history and if you plan to go abroad having a recent Euro engined vehicle will make going into the ever increasing emissions zones simpler.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I would recommend hireahymer in Northampton.
They are great to deal with and you can get a taste of a classic (older van) MH

We hired twice, both for one week, before we bought

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
And don't forget that boring old issue - payload. Not much point getting carried away with the ideal layout only to find you have to leave one of the kids behind or be over weight! :Eeek:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Can anyone really say it is possible to get it right first time? Because you have nothing to compare when you buy your first van and it's only after living in the space for a while that you actually think that it's not quite right for you:Doh:
When we went to look at vans a few years back, we didn't want a fixed bed, a lot of people had said to us it was a waste of space. We bought the 6 berth Autoquest and guess what.........got fed up making the bed in the rear lounge, so we kept it as a fixed bed and sat at the table in the mid-lounge area mostly.
Although we ended up watching the tv from the bed at the rear.
So it took a couple of years for the need for a different layout to evolve, but maybe that's just us.

Bill

nodge

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Farnham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are on our 5th motorhome, everytime we thought we got it right, and we probably did, but then kids get bigger, they won't share a bed, then the wife gets bigger and I wont share a bed. Its a very exciting time, im envious.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We are on our 5th motorhome, everytime we thought we got it right, and we probably did, but then kids get bigger, they won't share a bed, then the wife gets bigger and I wont share a bed. Its a very exciting time, im envious.

Quote:- "then the wife gets bigger":whatthe:
I trust your wife doesn't read these posts.............:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Heres what I wrote before
by terry
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 which suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying
Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

nodge

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Farnham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Quote:- "then the wife gets bigger":whatthe:
I trust your wife doesn't read these posts.............:Doh:

Do you really think i'd write that if there was the remotest chance of getting busted?

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The October show at the NEC is a good way to get inside a lot of vans! Not to suggest buying one there, or even buying new, but there are only so many layouts feasible, and you can see most of them at the show! Have a good nosey and try to visualise living in it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would really recommend you trawl the internet and visit as many dealerships as you can handle for research. what suits one family doesn't suit others. however I would say from experience a van with rear bunk beds as well as a dinette area with seatbelts at the front would be a very good choice

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When people ask this question, it always rather surprises me that nobody says what I always think someone will say .... which is

Go to a large Motorhome Show, eg Malvern, or Newark or ?dunno.

Not only will all the dealers be there and you can look at new vans, and perhaps some S/H because you will get an idea of what features you want.

Then having made a list of priorities - fixed bed? oven? separate shower and loo? whatever - and then show up at the Motorhome Fun rally area. Introduce yourself to the Marshalls - or anyone from MHF - and providing you don't look too shifty, LOL - you will probably find that you can have a look at shedloads of in-use vans - OK they probably won't be for sale at the time, but it will give you an idea of what vans you ought to be aiming for !

If other folk want to see it, people LIKE to show people what they've got.

Or am I entirely wrong about this, is it only me - and would everyone else absolutely hate that happening?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Funny you should say that Sedge, that is exactly what happened at the Stratford Show, a young couple hoping to take a couple of years off, happened on to the fun area, they arrived at 1pm and left to travel back to London at 9 . 30pm.

Think they got more information that day than they would have got in months, He was thinking of running his Internet business from his van. When sorted, who better than Grommet to explain about the extra batteries he would need, so extra pay load needed.

So yes a visit to a show and the fun steer area invaluable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back