Advice required!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Andy G1976, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Andy G1976

Andy G1976 Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I have decided to sell up, and buy a motor home in which I intend to live; I have a budget of up to £70,000 and I am looking to buy an A Class vehicle with a fixed bedroom - could anyone recommend the best vehicle brand available for that price range? Additionally, having spent months looking at various varieties, the vast majority of these vehicles are built on a Ducato chassis, how good are these engines and electrics?

I would be happy in a very low mileage used vehicle too.

As a professional driver of large vehicles, I need something to drive and live in between contracts, and as such can anyone tell me the legalities of "free camping" so to speak? Would the local constabulary be "moving me on"?

I look forward to your responses, and thank you in advance...

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Welcome to the forum.

I am a fulltimer for the last 7 years+. If I had your budget I would be looking at a Eura Mobil.

They are cracking good vans, have excellent build quality and have a huge payload.

I had a HS 770 before downsizing and loved it. Circumstances forced the sale but I would have another one in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Hi Andy and a big :welcome3:you will find lots of useful info here and I wish you luck in finding your ideal van.

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Andy

Ducato chassis is Front Wheel Drive, if you don't fancy that I can thoroughly recommend the IVECO chassis with 3 litre engine and RWD.

Of course we are all going to recommend our current or favourite vans as the ideal one for you, but really you have to make up your own mind, make a list of priorities as a starting point.

I was German, good heavy commercial chassis, Rear Wheel Drive, Left hand drive, big garage for bikes etc. Your list will be different no doubt but don't be frightened of a used vehicle as your budget should get you something really nice at a few years old.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Welcome to Fun, come and ask Andy, we have a Rapido A class on a Mercedes chassis plus others with fixed beds

Peter

6. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I doubt any £70,000 A class motorhomes will be on a Fiat chassis. Engine yes.

7. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

My ideal would be IVECO 3.0 180bhp manual. Very strong driveline and with a 2.3 t front axle and 5 t rear no payload issues . looking on mobile de there are some Cathargos within budget on that chassis, or a Euromobile . On that spec you get 200lt water 3 leisure plus solar. Inverter or genny for off grid.
    Don't think Alde heating would be available on the years within budget, unless you don't mid a high mileage example.
    Its is of horses for courses, all down to ones personal preference.

8. Speve

Speve Funster

There are lots of £70000 MHs on fiat chassis Hymer & Rapido included,might be Fiat/Alko on some.

9. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

Speak to @Southampton I believe he is selling his motorhome which would be ideal to live in.

10. Richard Birkett

Richard Birkett Funster

Welcome. Like grommet, my last van was a Euramobil 810 and I couldn't fault it, really well built & spacious with good payload. For me the front wheel drive was okay but not ideal. Previously I had a Hymer and although very good, the build quality wasn't as robust as the Euramobil. Currently I have a 7.5 tonne Carthago and again the quality is superb and I believe the same applies to their smaller models as well. You're bound to get lots of good advice from others and as funflair says, making a list of priorities is key and then enjoy the the search.

11. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Show me one?

12. Andy G1976

Wow, thanks everyone... some great advice...

13. Speve

Speve Funster

http://hymer.com/
    Just look at the Exsis i range all with Fiat Alko chassis
    We have a 698 bought new last year £53k

14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Alde heating has been around for lots of years now and will be well within a £70k budget.

Martin

15. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

An Alko chassis is not a Fiat chassis.

16. Speve

Speve Funster

Fiat at front Alko on rear, also Fiat make their own MH chassis which is widely used,think your picking at straws here.

17. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Lots of good makes to recommend. Hymer, Cathargo, Rapido, Frankia, Burstner to name but a few. You could buy a good 2 year old second hand one and get a lot more for your money than a new one. All will come from mainland Europe because you will not find a UK manufacturer of A classes within your price range.

As for free overnight stops, they are more difficult in the UK. Plenty over the water in Europe though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andy G1976

Thanks everyone. My second question is:
    Power; on average, when the vehicle is parked up and you are using your "leisure battery" how long can I expect them to last before recharge becomes necessary? I assume you can recharge them from the van engine rather than be forced to locate a mains hook up? My only experience of motor homes was my dads "Highwayman" Talbot back in the mid eighties. The leisure battery was a simple car battery (I think) providing a 12 volt on board system. Would I be right in thinking that modern vehicles run a lithium ion power source?

Also, am really liking the "Burstner" range of vehicles which seem big enough without being to big to take to Tesco! Has anyone any experience of these vehicles in terms of build quality and reliability?

Thanks in advance.

19. Vanman

Vanman Funster

You might want to be aware that you only get x5 'free' posts then there's a £15 annual fee here - well worth it I'm sure :)

I am not sure that the batteries have changed that much ... but certainly a 2nd battery and a large solar panel would be my first purchase in your position. Maybe a generator too ;)

20. maz

maz Funster

Hi Andy and welcome to the Fun from another full timer (5+ years). :welcome3:
    If you are planning on full timing in the UK, then go for a German or French van. They are fully winterised, UK-built vans are not. Also think about payload. If you are full timing you will want a lot of stuff with you.

My first van was a 2005 Burstner Elegance 821. Good van with a high bed over a garage at the rear. Starting out as a full timer I had thought a garage was a necessity for storage. Soon found out that it wasn't (for me anyway) and I now prefer a van with more easy access interior storage. Current van is a Hobby Toskana 750 FLC which has (IMO) a very good layout for full timing, including an enormous shelved full-height cupboard as well as plenty of other storage space. It's not an A-class tho', but unless you particularly want a drop-down bed I don't see that as an issue myself.