NTA680

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Buying in next 3 months
Exp
Hi, we are newbie's and myself and wife are just retiring and have a 5 year plan to travel Europe in a Motorhome. We have a disabled son (adult) who will join us on rare occasions, so we need a bespoke make. It is important that we have plenty of space and we are looking at the following 2 Motorhomes but have some concerns.

Rc or RS Motorhome based on Iveco 7200 Kgs 9.2 meters Long

Equi Trek Mercedes Voyager 18 Tonne 11 meters long Class C License required

We need the space to make the adaptations for our Son, and we need to have some form of garage for either Motorbike or in case of Mercedes small car and Motorbike.

My concerns are how will we be received on Campsites, Aires, Stopping Platz and so on in Europe with the size of the motorhomes. My preference at the moment is the Mercedes, but it is pointless us getting this if we can not find places we would be welcome in it. ALL advice is very much appreciated.

Nigel & Sharon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant advise on campsites etc but i reckon the Iveco will have a rather restrictive payload whereas the Merc will have a phenominal payload.
On the other hand, towing a car with the Iveco would be more practical if you have a C+E licence as the garage on the merc will take a massive chunk out of your available living space.
If you only have C1+E then it would be impractical for the Iveco due to licence restraints.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If your son is only going to join you on "rare occasions" why not just rent a flat or a villa somewhere locally for those times and then you would be able to have something a bit smaller?

But there are aires where you can get large MHs in, but campsites which could take an 11m long vehicle will be few and far between but you can always ring ahead and check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Don't know about the size for campsites but I would have the Merc if it's a new mh then the Merc would be the latest Euro 6 engine

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might depend how much planning ahead you want to do, 9.2 metres you might get away with a bit of spontaneity but 11 metres would surely need some planning ahead, we are 8.5 metres and dont plan ahead but much bigger would be a problem in our view, it all depends where you want to go of course.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
im 10 metre(32ft6") not had a lot of trouble with campsites, like they say plan ahead.
and if you can get hold of the big rig guide, someone may still have a copy, old but still works for us

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back