Advice re mechanical servicing (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I wonder if I could ask other funsters how often they have a mechanical service done. I have a 2006 transit based Hobby mh with 30500 miles on the clock, most of which were done by the previous owner, I got the van in 2009 when a full service was done by the dealer. last year I got the oil changed and a general check. I have only done about 3000 miles since, would you suggest I now get a full service done or just an oil change or is there something in-between. As it is now 5 years old I am wondering if the cam belt needs changing etc.

As you probably can tell I am a total Numpty with things mechanical.:Doh:
I would welcome any advice.

Cheers John

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
If it's the diesel Duratorq engine, it has chain driven camshaft(s).

A boating chum who uses the Duratorq engine recommends frequent oil changes, then he says the engines last a lifetime. Lack of use can be more harmful to an engine's internals than overuse. It all depends on how much mileage you do annually, but an oil change every 5000 miles cannot go amiss. Anything less, and I would change the oil annually.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have ours serviced once a year at MOT time, by a local independent HGV engineers. Also go to them if any issues crop up during the year. They have a good relationship with the nearest Mercedes Commercial dealership in case any special service information is required. Our motorhome is usually the smallest vehicle in there - gives me a kind of confidence to know they are experts in 40 tonne artics as well as a lowly Sprinter!

Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

Thanks, don't know about Duratorq the engine is 2.0 litre (125bhp) four cylinder TDCi .

John

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have ours serviced once a year at MOT time, by a local independent HGV engineers. Also go to them if any issues crop up during the year. They have a good relationship with the nearest Mercedes Commercial dealership in case any special service information is required. Our motorhome is usually the smallest vehicle in there - gives me a kind of confidence to know they are experts in 40 tonne artics as well as a lowly Sprinter!

Philip

I know what you meen Philip, I had a job finding someone local to do the MOT, most places havn't got a big enough hoist.

John

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98

Thanks, don't know about Duratorq the engine is 2.0 litre (125bhp) four cylinder TDCi .

John

John, that is a Duratorq engine, with the common rail fuel injection system. Also fitted in Mondeo's. My advice as above still stands.

For MOT's, look up your local Council vehicle depot, they can MOT it for you, and because they're not a commercial enterprise, will not "find jobs" that need doing. They test the biggest council vehicles.
Depending where you are in Co Durham, I would imagine there's somewhere in Darlington, Bishop Auckland, Consett, or maybe even Durham itself.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
John, that is a Duratorq engine, with the common rail fuel injection system. Also fitted in Mondeo's. My advice as above still stands.

For MOT's, look up your local Council vehicle depot, they can MOT it for you, and because they're not a commercial enterprise, will not "find jobs" that need doing. They test the biggest council vehicles.
Depending where you are in Co Durham, I would imagine there's somewhere in Darlington, Bishop Auckland, Consett, or maybe even Durham itself.

Thanks again, I never thought of the council depot for the MOT, there is a one near Stanley not far from me, I suppose they would have a weigh bridge as-well so I could check the axle weights.

John

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
this site is useful to find council run mot centres
Link Removed

read down to find council run list

I cannot get this link to work unless I copy and paste it

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
The Ford Duratorq requires regular oil changes, the cam chain tensioner is hydraulic with the oil pressure if it falters cam timing will jump braking the cam carrier which are only available from Ford with a new head as they are machined together and cost around £750 + new camtensioner gaskets etc then labour charges :cry:, I have a 2006 Mondeo TDCi estate parked up at the mo with just this problem although I bought it like it very cheap and easier to drop a secondhand engine in, thank the lord for Ebay ::bigsmile:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The Ford Duratorq requires regular oil changes, the cam chain tensioner is hydraulic with the oil pressure if it falters cam timing will jump braking the cam carrier which are only available from Ford with a new head as they are machined together and cost around £750 + new camtensioner gaskets etc then labour charges :cry:, I have a 2006 Mondeo TDCi estate parked up at the mo with just this problem although I bought it like it very cheap and easier to drop a secondhand engine in, thank the lord for Ebay ::bigsmile:

Thanks for that. I think this might be what my boating chum was alluding to when he advised me on regular oil changes.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
this site is useful to find council run mot centres
Link Removed

read down to find council run list

I cannot get this link to work unless I copy and paste it

Thanks for that, useful site. It has saved a trip to Stanley as the nearest seems to be in Durham.

cheers John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back