Advice re Gaslow system (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
After spending the weekend at the Peterborough show, we've virtually agreed a price on a new to us MH. Its a Hobby 750. We travelled to the dealer's premises yesterday to view it after putting a holding deposit on it at the show. The van is great except that there are a lot of holes drilled into the cabinets and woodwork, which are not attractive, now the fittings have been removed. It has previously been fitted with Gaslow, but the bottles have been removed. When I asked whether it was only the bottles that needed replacing a salesman said he was sure there was a hose and connector also needed. I am going to try to get them to throw in what is missing to seal the deal although I'm sure I will meet with resistance. Would one bottle suffice if that's all they will agree to or do we really need two and an automatic changeover valve thingy? I am trying to decide whether to we'd be better trying to get them to reduce the price we agreed or whether to get them to sort the Gaslow out instead. They fit and sell Gaslow so the cost to them would be far less than to us at a later date. We popped over to the Funsters area at the show and had a chat and a cup of tea with The Stigs, who made us feel very welcome! :Smile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We have an 11kg Gaslow bottle, and a 6kg Calor bottle as a back up in case we run out of refillable and there's no Autogas stockist nearby.

Our Gaslow bottle has a capacity of 22 litres. A couple of weeks ago we went to France for 16 days with a full Gaslow bottle. Because we were stopping on aires, the fridge was permanently on gas (middle setting on the thermostat was enough) whenever we stopped driving. We ran the air heater in the mornings for a short while to take the edge of the cold, and we heated our water either in the boiler or on the cooker.

When I went to refill it after the trip, I needed 15 litres of gas and it cost me a tenner, so we'd used about a litre a day.

Obviously with the fridge on 230v we'd have used less gas but would have paid more to stop on a campsite with an EHU. In summer we wouldn't need the air heater, and would do some of our water heating with a solar shower bag, but the fridge might get more demanding. I reckon based on our touring habits the 11Kg Gaslow bottle is good for 3-4 weeks continuous use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
After spending the weekend at the Peterborough show, we've virtually agreed a price on a new to us MH. Its a Hobby 750. We travelled to the dealer's premises yesterday to view it after putting a holding deposit on it at the show. The van is [HI]great except that there are a lot of holes drilled into the cabinets and woodwork,[/HI] which are not attractive, now the fittings have been removed. It has previously been fitted with Gaslow, but the bottles have been removed. When I asked whether it was only the bottles that needed replacing a salesman said he was sure there was a hose and connector also needed. I am going to try to get them to throw in what is missing to seal the deal although I'm sure I will meet with resistance. Would one bottle suffice if that's all they will agree to or do we really need two and an automatic changeover valve thingy? I am trying to decide whether to we'd be better trying to get them to reduce the price we agreed or whether to get them to sort the Gaslow out instead. They fit and sell Gaslow so the cost to them would be far less than to us at a later date. We popped over to the Funsters area at the show and had a chat and a cup of tea with The Stigs, who made us feel very welcome! :Smile:

Holes in the cabinets would be a bigger concern to me.. can they be lived with or has the dealer offered to rectify or fit new panels ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Haven't discussed in detail with them yet as the sales manager was still at the show, just expressed concern to sales staff who were there. We are hoping to come to an arrangement of some sort with him, either getting him to put right the damage/reduce the price/fit the gaslow cylinders in the price. We thought the van had been incorrectly advertised as a 750 because it has 700 shown on the bodywork, but a trawl on the internet this morning has revealed that the 750 the only model in the 700 series. A bit confusing to say the least!:Doh:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It would depend what your intending on using the van for but I would say one bottle would be enough and if you go for the Autogas steel bottle it is the exact same as the gaslow at ÂŁ60 cheaper. There's normally an add down the right hand side of the home page.

As said above I'd be more worried about holes in the furniture you might get a discount but think if you have to sell it on at some time.

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We have alugas rather than gaslow but its the same principle.

We recently used about one and a half 11 kg cylinders in a 9 week trip around spain and morocco. Last year we went to the far N of Norway and used the euaivalent of about 3 11kg cylinders in 9 weeks (refilling several times) - but we were well N of the arctic circle for quite a while and needed a lot of heat.

So it depends on use. One cylinder would not be enough for me.

But I agree with others on here, you can easily add cylinders later, if the furniture isn't right its more difficult, I would insist on this being sorted.

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Go get 'em Floyd !!!

If they want the sale they will comply !!:Smile:

If it were me I would say new panels and the Gaslow refitted !!::bigsmile:

No more Mr. Nice Guy !! go for the Jugular !:Doh:

Just had a week away and used ÂŁ4-66 in gas with gaslow ! :Cool: Stephen.

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I always ask for what I want from dealers, car, caravan, motorhome - always have and almost always got what I asked for. They want the sale. Definitely be careful about anything that would make it difficult to sell on so the furniture is a big one.
When we bought our motorhome I asked for new fascia on the dashboard amongst other things and they didn't bat an eyelid. I even got a TV that I didn't ask for. (I just wanted the wall bracket :roflmto:).
I love Gaslow. So convenient and much cheaper. Even if they don't throw in the bottle it's worth getting at least one fitted. We've just had a second one fitted for winter touring when the heating uses quite a lot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
I have spoken to the dealer, who has agreed to replacing the Gaslow cylinders. He has emailed me today regarding the holes in the woodwork with this reply:

' As ref various furniture holes fitter suggests laminate tape that matches same colour
Let me know what you think'

I can't help worrying that this could look as bad as the holes themselves. When I suggested replacing panels yesterday afternoon, he made it clear this was not an option. His opinion was that they were just holes where the previous owner had mounted televisions etc and that we would probably do the same anyway. I said that we may decide to mount a TV bracket but not the number they obviously had, but then again we might not and that I felt the holes compromised the value of the van.

We really want to buy the MH, but I am not sure if this laminate tape would look any better than the holes. Would we be better to offer less for the van and if so how much less?

I don't want to be greedy but equally don't want to pay too much for the MH and then regret not being tougher when we eventually come to sell it. Advice gratefully received!:helpsos:

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I looked at the same van at peterbrough and noticed the holes I agree that a tv had been mounted there I did think it look a bit of a mess but I thought I could have fitted a. TV bracket to cover the holes
We did consider changing vans but could not find anything we really liked better than our own at under 7 meters
But if I had a larger drive that is the van I would have bought it ticked all the boxes for Elaine and I We loved the lay out perfect for us
But it would not fit on the drive
Point to note on gaslow at Newark with blown air heating set at high constantly fridge on and all cooking I filled up with gas on way down Thursday and again on way home Sunday total cost for weekend 14 pounds and bear in mind it was bloody freezing

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seeing as we haven't seen a year or price or if they told you there was holes in it, there is no way of knowing if the price is right,but if it is the exact mh you are wanting make sure you look at every one you can find on eBay dealers auto trader and every where you can before signing on the dotted

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Sorry, 2006 Hobby 750ELC RHD, advertised at ÂŁ31995, agreed price prior to viewing ÂŁ28500, with 6 month warranty extended to 12 months and external shower fitted, no mention of holes at all, advert stressed beauty of the wood. Holes are in several areas, I think they had fitted at least 2 TVs and other things as well. Other than that the van is neat and tidy, tow bar, bike rack, solar panel, satellite dome, 1000kw inverter, Gaslow fittings and external BBQ point already fitted, reinstatement of gaslow cylinders since agreed. No part exchange.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
I looked at the same van at peterbrough and noticed the holes I agree that a tv had been mounted there I did think it look a bit of a mess but I thought I could have fitted a. TV bracket to cover the holes
We did consider changing vans but could not find anything we really liked better than our own at under 7 meters
But if I had a larger drive that is the van I would have bought it ticked all the boxes for Elaine and I We loved the lay out perfect for us
But it would not fit on the drive
Point to note on gaslow at Newark with blown air heating set at high constantly fridge on and all cooking I filled up with gas on way down Thursday and again on way home Sunday total cost for weekend 14 pounds and bear in mind it was bloody freezing

I think you may have seen a different van because this one wasn't actually at the show and we had to travel to the dealers to see it. Thanks for the info on the Gaslow, we're really pleased he's agreed to reinstate the cylinders!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
IMO

If you like the MH that mutch and they are nice vans.

I think a tv bracket would look nicer than a bit of tape.

So ask for that to also be reinstated and buy it.

You only live once

But its easy for me to spend your money:ROFLMAO:

Haveing said that if in dout lev out.

Best of luck warever you do.

Mel

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Holes - it would probably be easier if these have been left by TV brackets to get the dealer to agree to fit some back in the MH!

If you only want to take one TV away with you but want to watch it in different locations in the camper there are 2 options:

quick release plastic mounts: these attach to existing metal tv wall brackets (you need 1 for each bracket you want to move the TV to):

Link Removed

or alternatively the type where you move the whole bracket and just leave the wall fastening in situ (you'd need a second wall fastening to where you wanted to put the arm):

Link Removed

If it is definitely the van you want you may also be able to fit other items over any other existing holes too but it is difficult to advise without knowing what/where they are.

As for the Gaslow, as the dealer is putting this/the gubbings back, that's one problem solved - make sure they put the larger sized bottles in though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry, 2006 Hobby 750ELC RHD, advertised at ÂŁ31995, agreed price prior to viewing ÂŁ28500, with 6 month warranty extended to 12 months and external shower fitted, no mention of holes at all, advert stressed beauty of the wood. Holes are in several areas, I think they had fitted at least 2 TVs and other things as well. Other than that the van is neat and tidy, tow bar, bike rack, solar panel, satellite dome, 1000kw inverter, Gaslow fittings and external BBQ point already fitted, reinstatement of gaslow cylinders since agreed. No part exchange.

Looks dear enough, ought to be right for that money

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hobby 750s are good vans - I've got a different version and model, very pleased with it. :Smile:

Laminate tape sounds (and probably is) horrible. I've just tracked the van down but can't see the holes from the pics. Lounge pic below:

Link Removed

Is that black box on the seat base the inverter? The surface-wired 240v socket isn't too pretty either. :RollEyes: Looks as though previous owner might have done quite a bit of DIY. That might be fine but might also be a good idea to check out the workmanship?

Van has a good number of extras listed. For a 2006 van I'd have thought the price you agreed was reasonable (depending on just how awful those holes are, of course). :Smile:

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I think you may have seen a different van because this one wasn't actually at the show and we had to travel to the dealers to see it. Thanks for the info on the Gaslow, we're really pleased he's agreed to reinstate the cylinders!::bigsmile:

Elaine's just commented she thought the one with holes was left hand drive there were 3 750 class van on show that we found one was brand new
Still love the big hobbies though if we ever swap it will be a hobbie

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Elaine's just commented she thought the one with holes was left hand drive there were 3 750 class van on show that we found one was brand new
Still love the big hobbies though if we ever swap it will be a hobbie

Yes, there seem to be a few listed for sale at the moment - various ages. If you're unsure about those holes, there are others to look at. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I love the Hobby 750 but a good one is out of my price range, anything in the 20-22k bracket has been rough....i wouldnt part with my cash for something thats been butchered about.

I have walked away from 6 or 7 so far.

Now at close to ÂŁ30k, i'd want it in very good condition. When things have been buggered about, i think what the hell else has been done to this that i cant see....have they been as sympathetic to the engine and gearbox etc etc....

I am an awkward b**t**d when i buy stuff, and i am always prepared to walk away and see if the dealer calls me to negotiate more....if they wanna sell, its upto them.

This is YOUR money and your going to have to sit there and look at the holes and other stuff thats wrong. It would drive me nuts tbh. Its a buyers market.

You could always look at a Hymer 690 or 700 models for that kind of money, similar layouts, twin axle etc.

I should also point out i did 17years in IT sales....I know what its like on the other side ::bigsmile:

Drive a hard bargain, get what you want or walk away. There will be another available soon, or something better like the Hymer :Cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back