Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have had the misfortune whilst on our travels to receiving a bit of damage to the van. Whist driving along the motorway a stone hit the front overhang of the MH. Later whilst looking over the van I noticed a shall round indent on the fiberglass front overhang of MH. I have managed to cover the dent (about 2cm diameter but it has broken through the fiberglass or whatever the panel is made off) with tape as a temp repair until back in the uk. As usual now sitting wandering if it a small repair or massive job. Never had a repair on fiberglass/ plastic does anybody out there know if it is a case of cutting out the hole and patching in a repair and a repaint the front section or is a case of the entire panel having to be cut out and replaced. Just need some info to put me at ease

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
with fiberglass you have to stop the cracks travelling , to do this you have to drill the end of the cracks , the outer shell of your MH is a stuff called gell coat ,you can buy gell coat repair kits

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
with fiberglass you have to stop the cracks travelling , to do this you have to drill the end of the cracks , the outer shell of your MH is a stuff called gell coat ,you can buy gell coat repair kits
Do you know what the overhang panels are made off

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are able to post some pictures of the damage/location it would help given opinions on whether it's a repair or a new panel job.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I would assume that they are fiberglass with a gell coat finish, there are a couple of avenues that you could try, ask as Judge suggested a smart repair guy or try your local marina , phone the marina and ask if they know a mobile gell coat repair man , as a former smart repair guy I have repaired several motorhomes

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
ChipsAway should be able to sort that. They have places local to us at Billericay and Basildon (when you are back in UK). I haven't used them, but have seen some of their work on cars, which was good. They come to you too, so no worries about being in a body shop for weeks. They do free estimates.

I would imagine that they will simply put a mesh behind and fill it/finish with matching paint.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks but do you know if is the small hole repair or replacement of entire panel?

I would think a local repair..Best get professional advice. don't worry its only a bit of money...

edit: chips away have some good people had them do some scratches/small dents on an earlier van

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If its fibreglass it a pretty easy repair, it just needs the gel coat grinding back and the damaged area impregnating with a bit of polyester resin then fill the dent with a gelcoat filler and finally a matching gelcoat to finish it off, one little trick if it is a flat or single curve area is to apply the gelcoat and then cover it with a bit of flexible plastic to follow the shape of the surrounding area, this also has the added advantage of making the gelcoat cure without the surface staying tacky, with a bit of luck you could get away without it needing paint even.

Looks like its a Swift so they should be able to give you the RAL number for the gelcoat.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Sorry but this is not correct, GRP or fibreglass panels are made with a woven or random glass matt impregnated with polyester resin so there is no need to drill a hole as the cracks will not run.

Martin

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a small hole caused by a stone can be filled and repaired, so should not neccesitate a replacement overcab

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks everyone. With the advice given it sounds like a remortgage is not required. Will not tell the good lady the good news as I have told her we will need to cut back on spending to cover the cost of repair and I've seen a new sea rod I fancy !!!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Sorry but this is not correct, GRP or fibreglass panels are made with a woven or random glass matt impregnated with polyester resin so there is no need to drill a hole as the cracks will not run.

Martin
I never had anyone bring back a fiberglass repair that I did ,so I stand by my comments

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just stick one of these in the appropriate place.

FiJQWJ34.png
FiJQWJ34.png

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Made a hole iN the top corner of ours, repaired it with the fibre glass stuff in a tin from a motor factor, filled it a bit over full then levelled it off with the side of a file when dry then sanded it, and spray painted it from an aerosol, two years ago, still can't tell.(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just stick one of these in the appropriate place.

FiJQWJ34.png
FiJQWJ34.png

Beat Me To It. I had Damage to the Gel coat on an R-V. Repaired it with F-G and then put a large Decal over it! Job Done!. No Paint match involved!!. Put an identical Decal the other side to "balance it up".

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back