Advice re damage to bodywork

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PJGWiltshire, Dec 7, 2015.

1. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

We have had the misfortune whilst on our travels to receiving a bit of damage to the van. Whist driving along the motorway a stone hit the front overhang of the MH. Later whilst looking over the van I noticed a shall round indent on the fiberglass front overhang of MH. I have managed to cover the dent (about 2cm diameter but it has broken through the fiberglass or whatever the panel is made off) with tape as a temp repair until back in the uk. As usual now sitting wandering if it a small repair or massive job. Never had a repair on fiberglass/ plastic does anybody out there know if it is a case of cutting out the hole and patching in a repair and a repaint the front section or is a case of the entire panel having to be cut out and replaced. Just need some info to put me at ease

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Try a local smart repair agent?

• Like Like x 1
  3. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

with fiberglass you have to stop the cracks travelling , to do this you have to drill the end of the cracks , the outer shell of your MH is a stuff called gell coat ,you can buy gell coat repair kits

4. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Thanks but do you know if is the small hole repair or replacement of entire panel?

5. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Do you know what the overhang panels are made off

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you are able to post some pictures of the damage/location it would help given opinions on whether it's a repair or a new panel job.

7. laird of Dunstan

I would assume that they are fiberglass with a gell coat finish, there are a couple of avenues that you could try, ask as Judge suggested a smart repair guy or try your local marina , phone the marina and ask if they know a mobile gell coat repair man , as a former smart repair guy I have repaired several motorhomes

• Like Like x 2
  8. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Will do so first thing tomorrow morning

9. wingman

wingman Funster

ChipsAway should be able to sort that. They have places local to us at Billericay and Basildon (when you are back in UK). I haven't used them, but have seen some of their work on cars, which was good. They come to you too, so no worries about being in a body shop for weeks. They do free estimates.

I would imagine that they will simply put a mesh behind and fill it/finish with matching paint.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I would think a local repair..Best get professional advice. don't worry its only a bit of money...

edit: chips away have some good people had them do some scratches/small dents on an earlier van

• Like Like x 2
  11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

If its fibreglass it a pretty easy repair, it just needs the gel coat grinding back and the damaged area impregnating with a bit of polyester resin then fill the dent with a gelcoat filler and finally a matching gelcoat to finish it off, one little trick if it is a flat or single curve area is to apply the gelcoat and then cover it with a bit of flexible plastic to follow the shape of the surrounding area, this also has the added advantage of making the gelcoat cure without the surface staying tacky, with a bit of luck you could get away without it needing paint even.

Looks like its a Swift so they should be able to give you the RAL number for the gelcoat.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Sorry but this is not correct, GRP or fibreglass panels are made with a woven or random glass matt impregnated with polyester resin so there is no need to drill a hole as the cracks will not run.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a small hole caused by a stone can be filled and repaired, so should not neccesitate a replacement overcab

14. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Thanks everyone. With the advice given it sounds like a remortgage is not required. Will not tell the good lady the good news as I have told her we will need to cut back on spending to cover the cost of repair and I've seen a new sea rod I fancy !!!

15. laird of Dunstan

I never had anyone bring back a fiberglass repair that I did ,so I stand by my comments

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Just stick one of these in the appropriate place.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. f6c

f6c Funster

Good Thinking Stealaway

18. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

19. chaser

chaser Funster

Made a hole iN the top corner of ours, repaired it with the fibre glass stuff in a tin from a motor factor, filled it a bit over full then levelled it off with the side of a file when dry then sanded it, and spray painted it from an aerosol, two years ago, still can't tell.(y)

20. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Beat Me To It. I had Damage to the Gel coat on an R-V. Repaired it with F-G and then put a large Decal over it! Job Done!. No Paint match involved!!. Put an identical Decal the other side to "balance it up".

Pete