Advice re Continental Trip (Portugal) (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Yes. I know it should go into the 'Portugal' threads of the Continental Touring section but we reckoned on a wider audience here.

Me and SWMBO have decided, after a lot of soul searching to delay the autumn Greek trip until things settle down.
It wasn't that we were worried about actually being there. It's just that, should the ferry Co. go belly up and leave us with a long drive home (something I would cherish,) there would be insufficient time before the next part of our 'Spend it before the kids get it' which is booked hard up against the Greek journey.

So, Me and her have decided to go to Portugal. We've been on the training course that is France and it's Aires and done a few in Spain as well but never been across the border into Portugal.
We're looking for practical help.
Can you get water from the Cemetaries as you can in France?
Do the villages have communal water taps as they do in Spain?

We are of the type that readily uses local suppliers and have read on here that such action is appreciated.

Any suggestions greatfully received, including places other than the the Algarve to visit.

Taa in advance.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
could try starting with this

http://ourtour.co.uk/home/your-tour-joanne-and-craigs-motorhome-bumble/

might need to search for the portugal references though.
We are also heading to Portugal in September, 5 years since last there and we weren't into using aires much then. Intend trying a few this time. If you are a fish lover, the restaurants at Armacao de Pera near Albufeira are excellent.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Water springs in most little villages,plus taps in the cemeteries. North of Lisbon,you can park within reason,on any land that does not have restictions....ie. A piece of string across the access or a couple of branches..LOL..Most villages have a Bar/Cafe,(Some are secret ??),just follow the families into the village after about 20.oo hrs .
I have ,no reason to believe this is only in the north,there are lots of posts about various trips in great detail on here,and it would be worth your while to check them ALL out,we live here now, and i have gained a lot of information from members posts.
The people are generous to a fault,so,what was the phrase ?
"Come on Down!"
Tea Bag
PS. Watch your speed over bridges if limited,stop at stop signs. Thre are two types of driver over here,would be Lewis Hamiltons and........ MR MAGOO!!!LOL
PPS. Just because the parking bays are side by side,does NOT mean that the locals cannot/DO?,sometimes park "Herring Bone style"..... Love it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
North of the Algarve there are water taps in most villages. You often find fresh spring water faucets flowing non stop at the roadside.

Loads and loads of off-site places to stop and many of the municipal sites are reasonably priced.

A long, long coast line means many uncrowded beaches.

Castles sprinkled all over the place.

Wondeful, friendly people who can be a tad shy at first.

JJ :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Look up barragems in Portugal ... basically their fresh water reservoirs which are on the whole used for leisure activities too so lots of places to park up - we used them earlier this year an they were wonderful and some even has proper aire facilities ... for free!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Portugal is going through economic problems and the knock-on effect is cheaper goods and services in many places.
Never park your vehicle facing the wrong way in traffic (this will incur a fine) and spend a little time working out how the motorways work. Some you are supposed to register your card with, others have pay booths and still some people say as we are not Portuguese, don't pay. We gave up and avoided the empty motorways and stayed on some pretty poor secondary roads. There are no major formalities about Portugal otherwise and you may have a problem knowing if and when you have crossed the border. In theory if you carry bikes on the back you should have one of those square signs attached to the back and if you wear glasses you should have a spare pair and motorhome are supposed to have rear mudflaps but I doubt anyone will check, ever.
Alan

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I say a big thank you to the contributors on this thread, (and the likers)

To those funsters who have 'Been there, done that,' it may seem a trifling question to ask. Yes we have been to Portugal many times and think we know the Portugese well, but, with the exception of a week on the Algarve, all of our experiences have been on their islands where I didn't drive.

This trip will be different.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Been there three times now in the RV, twice to take and pick up the youngest daughter from a 6 month uni swop at Lisbon Uni, she loved her time there and made many friends, not sure she did much learning though, with wine at €1 per bottle. :)

Very friendly people, and many speak good English, like the street newspaper seller in the middle of Lisbon who directed us to the uni.
We stayed part of the time at Lisboa Camping which is open all year and can take any size RV/Motorhome, and part wilding it next to the statue of Henry the Navigator over looking the Tagus, super view to wake up to. Its here 38.693489, -9.206102
Unfortunately I believe they have now banned parking there.

We will be going back.(y)

Ian

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Really whetting my appetite, can't wait to go back as more experienced motorhomers.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we wish we were going with you. We went to Porto a couple of years ago. had a great time. People were great. we want to go a bit further next time. But we hope you have great time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back