Advice please !

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Stephen & Jeannie, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I am planning a visit to Brecon and Hay on Wye in the next few days ! Any car parks or wildcamping spots that allow overnight stays ??? Many thanks in advance !:thumb:

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

loads of nice places by the talibont and usk resevoir . one of my favourite places . not that far from brecon . bit the wrong way for you but if you get time worth a drive between brecon and merthyr tidfil.

3. JJ

JJ Funster

On the A40 which runs through Sennybridge, both before and after the village there are several suitable laybys which I have stayed on in the past.

And in Sennybridge itself you have one of the best cafes in the world as well as the business premises of my Chief Mechanic, his understudy and his Boss. (Sheriff, Gareth and Champers). :thumb:

Sadly no roundabouts for a few miles though. :Sad:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Though you would be in danger of the yanks shooting the place up.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I would say I am 95% sure that you can park overnight on the car park in the center of the town, if thats where the books are you could last year.

6. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

When we were near Brecon earlier this year, I was told that many of the Town carparks allowed motorhomes to overnight for 1 night in 7 & that you could move about the carparks if you wanted to stay a couple of days.
    I was advised that the "Promenade carpark was handy for the town centre :Smile:

7. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

You can in fact stay on any Powys Council car park for 1 night in 7 for free. We went to Brecon this year and spoke to the parking attendant in Brecon who told us the council actively encourage motorhomers to visit. If you go down the road to the theatre with Aldi on your left you come to a car park with a coach park next to it. Don't go on the coach park as it's £4.50 a day whereas the car park is £2.50 from 8.00am to 6.00pm, then stay overnight for free and then pay £2.50 for the next day before moving off to another car park. The daily rate is different from car park to car park, I think the large car park in Hay-on-Wye was £4.50 for a day.
    We didn't use this facility as we didn't know about it before we went to the area and had pre-booked at CC sites, stayed at one 4 miles from Brecon at Aberbran (not to be confused with Aberbran Fawr which is a commercial site), £11 per night with electric but no facilities but beautifully kept, it's on a disused railway line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I've stayed on Hay-on-Wye's Oxford Road car park several times. As already mentioned, overnighting is allowed (6pm - 8am). Car park has always been quiet at night and there are usually a dozen or so other vehicles parked.

Most of the car park is steeply sloped, but the bottom is OK.

Watch out....the car park attendant does tend to be around at exactly 8am.

9. slverdreamers

slverdreamers Read Only Funster

Brecon and Hay on Wye

Hi,
    We met you at Marjal after the rally there. You used to be able to stay overnight in the car Park at Brecon itself, you would need to check but it was in the centre of the town. Hope that helps
    regards Peter & Glynis