Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi we are looking to upgrade to a fixed bed motorhome and have been looking at a 2005 Hymer BM655 Starline 2.7 merc auto, It has lots of extras and 4500 miles on the clock, Does anybody know what is a fair price for this and does anybody have any knowledge good or bad to help us decide if its a fair deal, Looks great as expected it should with this mileage but would like to know mpg and any pros and cons with this layout . Thanks ::bigsmile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have a 2003 B630 Starline on a LHD 316 chassis with 2.7 litre and full 5-speed auto. It is a great motorhome and we love it - have had it 3 years now. So I can recommend the base vehicle and the standard of build of a Starline. Ours is a different layout with rear transverse fixed bed over a garage. You should expect to get about 25mpg from this set-up. That is what we have got calculated over three years. If the 655 you are looking at happens to be on the higher GVW 416 chassis, you will get slightly poorer consumption as the wheels are smaller than on the 316 and hence, give the effect of lower gearing.

Edgehill Motorhomes have a 2005 B680 Starline for sale at present. That is on a LHD 416 chassis with same engine and full auto. It has done 12,340 miles and they are asking £49,995. As the 680 was a more expensive model than the 655 (680 is a larger version of the layout we have) I would have thought a price around £40 - £45 K would be about right for then model you are considering.

Philip

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
If - as seems likely - the auto is a sprintshift automated manual I would check this carefully, they did not have a good reputation. We had one from new (2005) and it let us down several times - its not fun when half way round a roundabout it decides its not changing gear anymore!
I was told that one of the problems is that it takes an electric feed from the brake light circuit so the controlling mechanism knows when you are braking. The trouble is, any damp in that circuit and it gets confused. We had a short between an indicator and the brake light circuit which caused the gearbox not to work.

Merc dropped the sprintshift not long after, 2006 or 7 I think.

I would make sure you get a decent warranty and that it includes the gearbox.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi thanks for that, its not a sprintshift but a full automatic so we hope thats ok, Do you have any other issues if your van is similar, thanks

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just had a look through a 2005 Hymer UK catalogue and noticed that the 413/416 chassis was not offered on the B655 Starline, so the one you're looking at will be on a 316 I presume.

The only thing to watch for is the plated MAM / GVW which should be 3,800 kg, but some where down-plated to 3,500 kg. This can always be restored to the original MAM, but you might want to negotiate a price reduction to cover the cost if it is needed.
MIRO of the one you are considering (in standard from) is 3,146 kg (including the "extra" weight of the 2.7 engine and auto-box). That's before allowing for extras such as Omnistor awning, second leisure battery, satellite system etc. It also assumes 70 litres of fresh water, although the tank will hold 120 litres so long as you have sufficient payload. That is why I suggest you check the actual MAM on the plate as a payload of 3,500 - 3,146 = 354 kg and that is not a lot to play with. 3,800 - 3,146 = 654 kg and that is plenty of payload, I would have thought.

Also, it is well worth having a second leisure battery. Ours are in a tray sunk into the floor below the L-shaped settee. Not sure where it is (they are) on a B655.

Hope this helps. For what it's worth, we cannot think of a reason to change ours, and if we had to, I'd try and find another Starline.

Philip

rav4girly

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
Wowsers Trousers! I have just read this thread and the only thing that I understood was the bit about the bed with the garage at the back. :Doh: I have a lot to learn.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi the motorhome is plated at 3800kg already we have checked that and it has a second battery fitted already with two solar panels on the roof, so I think thats the power covered, it does have the 316 chassis so another bonus as far as we can see. still would like to know value today so we get it for a fair price, any ideas please. thanks:Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is a 2006 model offered by Peter Hambilton at £39,995. RHD and Sprintshift box (not converter) - quite a few accessories fitted, but higher mileage. Should give you a ranging point on the price you are being asked.

Philip

Link Removed

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Sorry, bubble, it was just the chassis that appeared similar not the van. Only chassis issue was the sprintshift, although my current van, on the newer boxer chassis, does ride better and is smoother.

If its a full auto with a torque converter then I guess you should be OK.

Enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back