advice please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by billy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. billy

billy Read Only Funster

We are in the process of buying our first motorhome.
    I have full no claims discount on my car.
    If i use this when insuring the motorhome will i have to start a new when it comes to insuring my car.

2. slurps2

slurps2 Read Only Funster

advice

when I insured my motor home for the first time they transfered my no claims from my car to it so it didnt cost some much,on renewing it the following year with other companys I told them of my car plus the 1 year no claims on the motor home.
    hope that helps.

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hiu billy and welcome.
    I can't speak for everyone but this is what happened with us.

We were given an introductory offer of discount on the motorhome on proof that we had NCB for the car. If you do as you suggest then you would lose discount on one of the vechiles.
    If it is your first insurance policy for the MH you should get a discount anyway.

You will be completely amazed at how cheap motorhome insurance is. We only pay£250 ish per year. This year £300 inclusive of full european breakdown cover.:thumb:

4. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

We are with Saga we contacted them before buying the motorhome with this issue and were quite happy to clone the 60% no claims bonus we had on the car:thumb:

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Shop Around.

You'll get a deal that will pleasantly surprise you.

In this crazy world it seems to pay to change insurers every year. With my bike a couple of years ago I was quoted £200 ish for renewal, went to biggest competitor and got it best part of £100 less. When I got the policy it was the same NU one. Crazy.

As others have said, I don't know why MH policies are so cheap considering all the contents risk we have.

6. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

We insured our first motorhome with safeguard and they mirrored our 60% No Claims Discount that we had on the car. Dont know if they still do that though.

Sonja

7. billy

billy Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone for your reply's
    i will ring my insurance company tomorrow and see how i go on i will let you know
    how i go on

8. Jan Pendreigh

Jan Pendreigh Read Only Funster

We got full no claims discount on both mh and car on the grounds that you can't be at the wheel of two vehicles at once. Worth a try - NFU are good.
    Jan

9. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

No.

When shopping around for a quote on your mh you will be asked the standard set of questions, one of which is how many years ncb you have. If you then also decide to run a car independently of your mh, the ncb is applicable to that insurance as well.

A point worth noting though is mh insurance companies are not as plentiful as car insurance so competition is not as fierce. Also there are some mh insurance companies which won't insure unless you have access to a second vehicle, such as a car. In fact some make it compulsory in that they will only insure your mh for leisure purpose which means you cannot use it to nip down to the supermarket or go to work in it. This reduces the risk to the company of course, but also limits your use.

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi lots of company's will MIRROR your car insurance if you ask,some even volunteer to do it :thumb:
    terry

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I fell foul of what I consider a misleading offer.

When I bought my first motorhome I spoke to the AA Team ( !!! :cry: ) and the oik suggested that as I had a smarty I could switch the full max no claims to the M H and they would then match the NCB for the Smarty..
    Ok, sounds like a good deal

Except recently I discovered I had not actually been given the NCB, merely an 'introductory offer equalling the NCB'
    Which meant that when I changed the Smarty recently I found I actually only had 1 full years NCB ! Not good when you are insuring a Range Rover, believe me !!!

So do be sure ( and double treble and quadruple check ! ) that it really is NCB you are being given and not just an 'introductory offer' !

12. billy

billy Read Only Funster

Well i rang saga today insurance sorted they will mirror my NCD on the motorhome
    great stuff.

Thanks all for your advice:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Has anyone had the same experience as jawsMC would be interesting to know

13. lorger

lorger Funster

We took ours out with Frank Pickles about £20 dearer but didnt take our full ncd so can still use that on my car.

Gerry

14. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi I bought my bessacar 465, 2 years ago, if you contact caravan guard for insurance they will mirror your no claims on to your van so you will have the same discount on both vehicles,
    You will find them on the web or most dealers have brochures hope this helps you out.:thumb::thumb:

Peter