Advice please travelling to morroco

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Wheelie, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Wheelie

Wheelie Read Only Funster

Hi all
    I would like some advice on getting me and my 5th wheeler down to morocco, best route, ferries and some sort of cost involved. If any body has any previous experience i would be grateful for the info.

Thanks

Neil

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Neil ..
    there are several Fun members who have visited Morocco , at least three with RVs including myself , however, the very best person to give advice is VWAlan who has a truck articulated camper .. but he's no longer an active member on the forum .. however he can be found on RVOC , our sister site ..
    AFAIK he is touring Morocco at the present , not sure when he his back in the UK ..

I was there in Jan 2007 and went with Desert Detours , Ray the owner is also a Fun member and is probably the most knowledgeable person to talk to .. you could contact him regarding ferries etc.

A Google Map of our trip http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207590977793691629247.0004713e8d13a3d6d589b&z=6

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

turn right at calais....

sorry, couldnt resist :Blush:

4. Wheelie

Well pappajohn your are obviously the comedian around here :Rofl1:

Scotjimland thanks for the tip i will try and track vwalan down :thumb:

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Google Desert Detours loads of info on there even if you are not going with them, I am sure if Ray (Detourer) comes on line he will help you, a real mine of information.

6. Griffs

Griffs Funster

morocco

Hi.

I can-not give any advice on ferry fares but Morocco is a lovely country ,I travelled there in the late sixties and early seventies , and I have been told there are motorways down the coast and even up from Agadir to Marakech a shame because there is so much to see up in the mountains.

I would not worry about going it alone there is always other travellers to team up with but do not expect the old Morroco as the locals have moved out of the kasbars of Marrakech and a lot of changes in the country ie macdonalds etc,but still worth going to have a look .

happy travels.

7. Detourer

Detourer Trader - Tour Operator

Hi
    May be wrong, but I am assuming that you will be heading towards Agadir....... If not take extra care on the some of the inland roads, practically in the earlier months [probable snow on most Atlas crossings etc etc......]

So if it’s Agadir your best route in via Tangier-Med. It is then motorway all the way along the coast .......look on a map for some great coastal locations..... motorway turns towards and bypasses Marrakech and then onward.

Stop at Marrakech and perhaps some of the other Imperial and ancient cities. Yes, modern life is catching up [they, the Moroccans, also have a “life”] but you will find some amazing sites. Every town and city will have untouched Medina and great Souks..... look hard and you may even spot the odd McDonalds in the newer areas.

Safe and stunning, but go with an open mind and you will have a great time.

Get in touch if you want latest info............

Ray [Desert Detours]
    PS.......No, before anyone says......not after a client, we don’t take 5th Wheeler’s :Smile:

8. Pammy

Pammy Read Only Funster

Hi Neil

We travelled in 2008 in our RV. This was a Fun meet done through Ray which was excellent. There were 3 RV's and 2 Euros on this trip.

We drove down to Plymouth and got on the Plymouth to Santander ferry. Because we considered this a trip of a lifetime we had the overnight stop in one of the cabins. It was an excellent crossing both ways and cost us £1k for us and the RV (36 ft).

We then took a leisurely 5 days to travel through Spain taking in some camp sites each evening. We were fortunate to go with Marc and Linda (thefman) as he knows Spain very well so took us on some beautiful Spanish roads through wonderful countryside.

Eventually we met up with the other parties in the group and Ray who then led us down to the Ferry port for sailing to Morocco. This unfortunately was not the best part of the holiday as all vehicles had to reverse on to the Ferry - this is not a roll on roll off type so you need to take advice from Ray on that score. On the way back we did collect some damage as they helped a lorry to reverse into one of our side mirrors - they pack you in very tightly. They packed Forestboy in so tight they couldn't get out of their habitation door, they had to climb out of their front passenger window.

Apart from that we all had a fantastic time - I'm not sure but I think there are some photos in an album on this forum. I would definitely go again and we plan to when we retire. Next time we will probably go it alone and do the West Coast - we missed out on that side due to lack of time. Having said that for anyone travelling there the for the first time I would definitely advise to go with Ray as he lets you know all the ins/outs/dos and dont's.

Hope this helps
    Pammy

9. fixitjohn

fixitjohn Read Only Funster

morocco

Hi there, get down to palmones, nr gibraltar, look out for lidl supermarket there everyone and their dog can stay a couple of nights in the car park as long as they shop! it will be the last place to get BEER and supermarket stuff that the wife loves before moroc, get the ferry tickets in palmones before leaving, algeciras to ceuta, fill in the many forms don`t do it at the border! get moroc dirhams also beforehand, at least £40 worth to pay for tolls an fuel. best take pounds £ to change in moroc when you get to a bank to use during the holiday, (to save changing twice) the rock (gib) is fun but not cheap for elecrical goods fuel is & spirits, beer, ect but food is not cheap even though it is morrisons! remember you cannot stay overnight on the rock! but it is a lovely visit.
    the ferry:,at ceuta you are still in spanish territory so just follow the signs to the border be prepared to allow some dodgy looking guy to assist you through the immigration they are recognised and necessary to speed up the process, once you are through drive with all eyes peeled for folk crossing the roads (including tolls!) and for that reason never drive after dark.
    you will enjoy the country, have a great time We only went once and that was to agadir. enjoy. also don`t forget the green card. :thumb:

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Some of that sounds as out of date as the advice we got and ended up with loads of useless UK cash and Euros.

2009: We found ATM machines everywhere.

Beer, wine freely available. Proper supermarkets.

Get into Cueta with low tanks, fuel is the cheapest you will ever see.

We got the impression Morocco was becoming westernised at an alarming rate. Such as teenage girls in mini skirts, high heels and no helmets blasting through traffic on scooters. Low rise developments spreading like weeds. Only in the hills was *real* Morocco.

If we go again, first long stop would be Essouria.

What aren't westernised are the campsites and toilets, some toilets not even fit to dump the cassette in. Nicest site was Todra.

Altogether a good experience, but no-where as "different" as we imagined and scenery no better than on offer in Europe.

11. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

I went with Ray last year in my RV (hello Ray) and it was brilliant, I will return someday so much to see and so relaxed

Loddy :Cool:

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Morocco used to be on many motorhomers wish list,and rightly so,its a beutifull country but as some have said its becoming westernised at an alarming rate.
    First time I went was for 3 months in 2003 and again the following year for 6 months.Could not believe the change in 1 year,so am thinking its much different now.I was lucky to have gone when I did as it was still possible to wildcamp anywhere,not so now.
    The world is becoming a smaller place, I have a friend that for several years has been traveling down as far as the Gambia,which not so long ago was impossible,not easy now but sertainly possible.

13. bambi 2

bambi 2 Read Only Funster

Hi we are in Morocco now, first we went to Los Palomes and bought our tickets 180€ we went Algaceras to Tangier with Tangier Med at the new ferry port, no trouble at the customs we gave them our papers, they asked if we had anything to declare we said no they gave back our papers and we headed straight to the new motorway, the first day we drove 151 miles to Kinetra, the second day we drove 211 miles to Marakesh where we stayed for a couple of nights at the lovely new camp site with free WIFI, then we drove to Agadir 164 miles, we spent 456 dirhams on the motorway which made it a much better trip than when we have driven on bad roads and visited places like essuara, we have seen those towns before, so no need to go there again. the weather has been glorious 31deg today and we are really happy to be here, there are not many Brits around but the ones on this site Camping Atlantica D'Imourane are all great and we have a good time together :BigGrin:
    Your English dongle will not work here for the internet, we went to Margane and bought a moroc one for 200 dirhams, about 20 euros. Good Luck bambi 2

14. bambi 2

bambi 2 Read Only Funster

Sorry I forgot to say, we have friends here in large R.Vs the biggest is 40 foot and towing a car, they all payed 180 euros for the ferry, some of them get extensions to stay for 6 months. bambi 2

15. Wheelie

WOW thanks for all the info, i will sift through and digest later thanks again

Neil

16. Snowbird

My RV is 33ft and have towed the toad out there,have traveled with a friend who had a 40ft Discovery and though we had some strange looks,we never had a problem.
    Juan Carlos Galtiares"not sure about spelling"was the man we used to use for tickets,he is just behing the Carrafore supermarket.
    There was a German with a big fifth wheel on the beach towing with a F350 dualy so cant see a problem only now they have stopped a lot of the wild camping so you are at the mercy of campsites,whether they will let you on or not.

17. scotjimland

A picture tells a thousand words

This is what Morocco is all about ... you won't find this in Europe !

Our Georgieboy with our friends Winnie , sunrise in the desert !

The ruins in the background are over a mile away !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crossing the High Atlas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  18. Snowbird

Nice pics Jim,am trying to get mine from a friend that I used to travel with.
    lost the lot when laptop crashed over a year ago,didnt know then about backups....Arrrrg.
    When we were all on 35mm we didnt think about the loss...was devastated.
    We hopefully live and learn.

19. scotjimland

ohhh dear what a loss.. hopefully your friend has them..

I'm paranoid about losing pics. I lost a bunch from a holiday in Switzerland :Angry: .. so now I use belt and braces; back up drives x 2 ; DVD; on-line with Picasa, which makes it easy to post them on threads .. and I print a fair few of the best ones ..

PS

Did you spot the FACTS flag on the antenna .. :Blush::Blush:

20. Snowbird

Yep....thought it quite funny.