Advice Please - Small Automatic Gearbox Coachbuilt

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by EssexBoy, May 18, 2009.

1. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Hi all

I'm after some suggestions please, if I may...

My Dad is looking to convert over from his caravan to a small coachbuilt 'van (not a panel van conversion - we've narrowed down that he likes his space), but no longer than 6.5m & preferably closer to 6m (or less)...

We had a good look round all the local dealers, but the problem is he wants an automatic gearbox, and it would seem so far that small vans = small engines = manual gearboxes...

So, would anybody out there have any suggestions as to makes and models that might fit the bill please ? At this stage, budget isn't the most important thing, as he seems prepared to pay the right money for the right 'van...

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

why not fit an autoclutch, i have had one on my vw lt for afew years works fine.keeps cl.pedal but works with a swich on gear stick . contact vehvac in kent 01732868080 can be taken off later n put on next vehicle.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Ours is 6.4 metres long, automatic and left-hand drive - based on a MB Sprinter chassis (but I'm sure there are some RHD ones about if that is important). See picture in my post ID. It is A-class rather than coach-built, but has a pull down double bed over the driving position and a fixed double bed over a garage at the rear.

Model is Hymer B630 Starline and the version we have was made between 2002 and 2005/6.

Here is an example of one that was sold recently.

<<B 630>>

Philip

4. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

How about a small American RV. They are all auto box with power everything and good space. If you can find an LPG converted model mileage is similar to Eurovan. :thumb:

5. Caztur

Caztur Funster

The problem is that most are built on the Peugeot Boxer/Fiat Ducato base, and this isn't produced in an auto form.
    Ford Transit used to come in auto, but I don't think the current model does.
    So if buying new you need to look at ones built on different chassis - e.g. Merc Sprinter.

6. Dawn

Dawn Read Only Funster

Hiya,

There's an automatic Volkswagen Compass Calypso, Here

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

We have an 06

VW automatic Bilbo Celex:thumb:

Peter

8. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Hi Caztur

Yes, I agree. Peugeot/Fiat do seem to dominate the smaller 'van sector, and the lack of an auto was a surprise really...

I did see that Mercs have an auto option, but they seem to be few and far between on small 'vans...

Are you aware of other base chassis manufacturers like Renault etc that do autos ?

Thanks

Steve

9. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Thanks Peter

We did take Dad to see some Hi-Tops and small coachbuilts, and he much preferred the coachbuilts. The only trouble was that then we realised the ones we saw were all Fiat/Peugeot based and therefore only available as manuals...

We did see a Lunar Telstar in an auto, but that was about 6.5m-ish long, so may fit the bill as a compromise, if we don't come across something shorter...

Thanks again

Steve

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Steve

try a search in Autotrader in the caravan and motorhome section,

unfortunately they don't have a motorhome only section so use the keywords; motorhome and automatic in the advanced search to filter out the caravans and manual motorhomes.. when I tried it brought up 33

hth

Jim

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

does he really need auto full stop, as the auto clutch will any camper .still keeps gear stick for u to change but electronically works the clutch.

12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Swift can do an automatic, but then your into new money £36k ish and a wait for a build slot.

Peter

13. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Thanks Peter. Which model can they do in in an auto ? I thought they were all Fiat/Peugeot based, and therefore a no-no on the auto box ?

I ask, because if its the right 'van, then waiting for it might be an option...

Thanks

Steve

14. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Mines a fiat 2.8 burstner with an auto box,so they do make them.

15. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Hi Steve,

If your prepared to wait I believe you can get any model, but I think its only on the 3 litre. The VW is sold now.

I do however have other autos on Merc chassis, there should be a very late Devon Auto (2008) coming in I believe, also on a Merc.

Peter

2001 Rimor Superbrig 670 Mercedes Sprinter 313cdi 2200cc Turbo Diesel AutomaticLength: 22' 1" (6.72m)Layout: End Fixed BedroomHeight: 10' 2" (3.1m)Berths: Six BerthMileage: 25400
    2000 Rapido 749m Mercedes Sprinter 2874cc Turbo Diesel AutomaticLength: 19' 8" (5.99m)Layout: End Fixed BedroomHeight: 9' 9" (2.97m)Berths: Four BerthMileage: 27000

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  16. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Hi Peter

We took Dad to the Stratford Show last weekend, and turned out to be a very good move...

Dad narrowed his choice massively. After seeing all the 'vans on show, he has now decided he wants a Hi-Top, and ones with a layout like the Timberland Endeavour, Autocruise Rhythm, Swift Mondial, Trigano Tribute 650...

So, we now have something specific look to for, the only trouble is, these Hi-Tops seem even more rarer than hen's teeth than before !!!

Anyway, thanks for all your help so far...

Thanks

Steve

17. grumpy

grumpy Read Only Funster

Automatic gearbocoachbuilt.

Hi Steve.
    We have just bought a Swift Voyager from Lowdhams in Nottingham. We wanted a 6.5 meter van too. We found the firm to be very obliging and friendly. I am disabled(breathing) and they sorted it all out for me. I don't know wether you have a vehicle to part exchange, but we had a good price for ours. They have a Voyager there. I don't know what price you are intending to pay, this one is £39,995 ( I think) it is automatic. But we plumped for the manual. We knew you were looking so left it for you. Ok I didn't want automatic. Anyway I think it is still there if you want to phone or look on the internet. Phone No. 0115-966-3838..... Website-www.lowdhamleisure.com
    Might not be what you want but at least you can look. :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile: Peter:Angry:

18. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

I hope that's not true 'cos I've just ordered an 'auto' box on mine OK it's an electronic adaptation but still automatic gear changes and no 'clutch' pedal.........I hope :BigGrin:

19. thewilse

thewilse Read Only Funster

What 2.5 Renault Master with Quickshift6?

It's fully auto, and has manual overide also??

w

20. cjs_surf

cjs_surf Read Only Funster

What about a Jap import toyota Hiace - I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Japna but there are a few companies in the UK (I'm in Ireland) that do them for example

http://www.poplarmotors.co.uk/motors_in.php?vID=152