Advice please on Autotrail Apache 634U

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by yorkist, May 28, 2014.

1. yorkist

yorkist Read Only Funster

I´d love some advice if anyone can offer it. We´re looking at our first purchase and the Autotrail 634U ticks the "must have" boxes like enclosed shower, kitchen work-surface, U lounge etc. I have found a second hand one in our 25-30k range. Apart from the obvious HPI and mechanical check, I'd like to know whether Autotrails (specifically 634s) are re-nowned for any particular problems. This one has low mileage of 12k for a 5-6 year old van, and the problem with all motorhomes on the web is that they all look so clean nothing detrimental is obvious at first glance. And living in Spain I want to advance the discussions a fair bit before I actually fly over. The wife is minded to visit the NEC first and sit in a fair few of these things before committing. I know in theory she is right but we have done so much bleeding research we know now what things we need and what we can´t afford so what´s the point? Views?:thumb:

2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Buy it and live the dream!:thumb:
    All you'll get on here is someone's opinion,I've got an Autotrail and it's great,layout is the main thing and if you find one your happy with go for it.
    If you want to have days out in the depths of winter or go skiing in the alps I'd go for a Winterised van otherwise go for it you could do far worse!

Vlad

3. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

We have the autotrail apache on a 08 plate,,,love it,,,we dont put the double bed out, we use as 2 single beds,,,great for us , and still have loads of space,,,ideal as i am dissabled,,,best £££££ ever spent,,,:thumb:

4. yorkist

for Vlad the Impaler

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Where is the van ?? Dealer / private..
    If it's close to a Funster and we were bored or nosey enough someone may pop by and have a look, you never know...

Popular, well liked vans..
    You could always arrange for a mobile engineer to go give it a check over for you £100-£120 ish and negotiate that off the price subject to all being good.. No matter how good it looks you need a damp test, Autotrails have had their issues with water ingress so best to make sure..

Jumping on Vlads post... The Autotrails are not classed as "winterised" the water tanks are slung under the bottom of the van and have some insulation around them.. Other winterised vans have tanks between a double floor, some are even heated.... It depends on where you are going and how long you want to be in sub zero temperatures....

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Hellboy

Hellboy Funster

Our 2010 634U will be up for sale soon...PM sent :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

I've seen Mr Gaz's van, more extras than you could shake a stick at and in immaculate condition, a lovely van :thumb:

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Important point, are you going to continue to live in Spain, if so buy a Spanish registered van to avoid UK MOT's and servicing problems.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  9. oldfozzie

oldfozzie Funster

Staying in Spain?

Another issue if you do intend to stay in Spain you will never get the ITV to enable you to re-register in Spain because the habitation door is on the wrong side, and i am sure you know how tight the Guardia are getting over UK registrations; I live part time in Spain so do know what can happen.
    So as John says, if you are staying in Spain, buy Spanish

10. yorkist

I am sure, except we cannot stretch the budget at this time, he has PM´d me and I've replied, won´t ask what the extras are cos the wife might start liking them!

11. yorkist

Spanish ITV or UK MOT

Thanks to all for comments, but Fozzie, if I may call you that, I have thought about this but after 10 years I am scarred by Spanish bureaucracy and had decided it was best to sever all permanent links, inc. closing bank accounts etc when we do leave in 2 years. That way the government and companies cannot just take money out of your account without notice regardless of whether you can prove you owe it or not. That said we do intend to spend 6 months a year here and travel the rest of the year, UK partly so we can start seeing more of the parents etc! I figured therefore it was better to have a UK registered van and use it as a tourist over here and go "off radar" if that is possible in this age. UK vans seem cheaper and there is much more choice too....unless you can tell me otherwise - please do. The thought of SUMA bills linked to an account etc just scare me based on our multiple experiences. And I speak Spanish! I know the MOT costs more, I believe that the UK road tax is more expensive than the car tax here as well, but it was just for peace of mind. I have sold out house and will "never" buy here again but would rent winter months. So despite the door being on the wrong side how does all that sound? All advice greatly appreciated. Tony.

12. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

She will, especially the jacuzzi :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. roncab

roncab Funster

Spanish reg

I totally totally agree with you re : Spanish bureaucracy. I too had a house In La Nucia and even the bank manager at The Cam Bank couldn't be trusted ( won't say which branch but wasn't in La Nucia. This is one of the reasons I no longer have a bank account, no house and live for the winter months on Villamar. It felt like giving up a yacht for a rowing boat. We now call it our life boat. We have an English registered Auto Trail Mohican and love it, we use it here in Uk and will be driving it over in september to use in The winter months in Spain. Hope you find what you want Tony.
    Ron

14. Hellboy

Hellboy Funster

Hi Neil...Nice to see you on here now making the most of your new van :Wink:

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  15. Barney23

Barney23 Funster

Thanks Gaz, loving every minute, things like weddings etc just get in the way now at weekends.
    See you soon. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. yorkist

Heck we´re next door almost in Fonts Algar. Yep, Spain is a great place to spend your time but even after 10 years the laws, fines and paperwork are a nightmare. So corrupt but if you can avoid the hassle you´re laughing.

17. roncab

roncab Funster

Totally agree ! I could write a book about corruption in Spain !

18. plumbomb

plumbomb Funster

Hi Yorkist, we bought our first MH new last year it is a Apache 634. We looked at loads of different models & layouts, a fantastic MotorHome wished we bought one years ago. We caravaned for 20 years but this is much better, thing is you can look around till the cows come home. You know the layout you want and there's not that many MH without a fixed bed. Good luck

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

some Autotrails on an Alco chassis had an inbuilt problem in that the rear axle grease points were not accessible (they were built over) resulting in expencive premature axle failure. Dave Newell could maybe comment on that particular model.

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Is it one of these?

2007 £30,995

2008 £31,995

2009 £31,500

One thing to be aware of is the 'juddergate' fiasco which I believe wasn't sorted until around 2010 onwards, so whether these vehicles have the judder or not, is something you will have to check out carefully.