Advice or first motorhome please (1 Viewer)

Craigthetyreman

Free Member
Jan 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You can dig out old sealer and put new stuff in to tidy it up, but be aware that some vans are stick together with Sikaflex adhesive and the outside joints are sealed with the same or similar PU adhesive/sealer, other older vans are put together with non setting mastic and as such are not sealed on the outside, if it looks a bit messy it might be the old mastic which tends to pick up dirt and can get a bit scruffy.

Martin

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Get a habitation check done,check service history because of mileage, have a good test drive.if its all ok buy it and enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome, word of caution; there are often a lot of motorhomes for sale on Fleabay that have been scamms so its the normal cautions.
a good test drive, and check for structural damage and damp.

and,,,,, Layout is king! that is the biggest reason people sell a motorhome, they want a different layout. so put some thought into what layout suit you.

good luck and enjoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Craigthetyreman

Free Member
Jan 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi thanks for the respones I have got them down to 10k there is 1 bit of damp on the inside which is old but they said they would be seal the roof to be on the save side mot it and do an habittation service it not long had a service with a cambelt. It's the only layout that we like we have been looking for quite a while now and its the only 1 to come into are budget I know 10k is am small budget in motorhome world but it's a lot of money to us

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other thing to remember with that van and similar ones is that a 6 berth plated at 3500kg is likely to be pushing right up to (or more likely way over) the weight limit before you start adding people to it. Don't take anyone's word about payload or weight. You need to see a recent weigh bridge ticket and preferably know for sure how much fuel and water was in it at the time.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
definitely get a damp check done by a profesional damp can be terminal for some vans any indication of where the damp is does the van smell musty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Craigthetyreman

Free Member
Jan 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
No it did not smell musty I only knew about the damp because they showed me they left me to look round it on my own then the guy came over and talked me through the van and took me to his workshop to show the sort of repairs they do I am in the motor trade so the van side I am happy with checking over its just the rear I am not sure about the chap came across a really genuine I am happy do to work as long as it not going to cost another 5k to do it

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
That's a very high mileage for a MH. Miles themselves not an issue, but it does mean that previous users have certainly used the van, maybe full timing. So as others have said have a habitation check, put it on a weighbridge and check and recheck the internal kit, it certainly will be well used and maybe worn out. Replacement kit can be expensive and difficult to fit.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a good look round on Fun as there are many horror stories on damp issues some with pictures. Re sealing is fine but the damage may be done. As has been said, get an independent damp test.
I am with you on the cost issue, absolutely maximum bank account trashing to you and me is pocket money for others. If your at all not sure walk away, it's done a lot of miles and it has damp. Buyer beware (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Damp is always a worry. It's difficult to see how bad it might be without stripping half the van & it's a very time intensive job rectifying it. Whereabouts in the van is the known damp?

Clearly it's been used extensively in Europe. LHD, speedo in km/h & lots of French bills in the service history. That's not altogether a bad thing - standing about doing nothing is probably worse. The annual mileage isn't unreasonable. It does look as if it's been pretty well looked after.

I'm guessing it's been knocking about in the trade for most of this last year though. The current mileage isn't a lot more than the MOT done last April. I wonder why the reg number is staying with it - it was transferred to it after initial purchase (PDI shows original reg) so you would expect the owner to have retained it. Maybe the vehicle was sold to the trade following bereavement?

The details page on the dealer's own website looks as if it was originally offered for £15500 - I don't think I was looking at a different van!

If the damp hasn't gone too far & if the leak that caused it can be identified & fixed properly, it could be a good buy, but that's three big 'if's you need to satisfy yourself about.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That looks nice, 12mths MOT is a must. New tyres will be on age I would think, check to make sure they are for MoHo use though.

A tip, you have made five posts so you will go into read only unless you join the mad house. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Craigthetyreman

Free Member
Jan 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Yeah I spoke to the chap today they are proper motorhome tyres I know a fare bit about tyres so that doesn't worry me looks like I am going to have to join then :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back