Free Member
May 28, 2013
Bracknell
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Everyone
We have just bought a 2006 Autotrail Dakota and we are looking for a small car to tow. Any advice would be really appreciated. We have had a couple of motorhomes in the past but have never towed.
Brian & Shirley

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
High and welcome ...

We have just bought a car and one of their new "Electronic Units" from these people = http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.com/

We have found it fantastic.... As easy as hooking up a trailer or caravan..

Prior to that we always trailered a car all over the place, but this makes life a lot easier..

But be aware, "A" frames "ARE" illegal if you go to Spain and i believe Germany.. and incur an instant fine in both country`s, and you have to unhitch there and then, no we will do it later.. which can be a bummer if you are the only driver...

Not the cheapest set up... but to a thicko like me dead easy to hitch up and unhook.. :thumb:

Good luck in your search..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tow

Hi

We used to tow but not any more. Where ever we go in the UK or overseas, we are "not stuck" without the tow car.

On the pro's and con's, there are increased ferry costs to cross the water, increased tolls, increased mpg on the towing vehicle, the cost of the frame/trailer etc. The legality aspect is a whole different thing.

As a pro - it is easy to nip to the local supermarket or restaurant etc.

In the UK, Enterprise car hire is as little at £36 for a three day weekend...... they pick you up on the campsite and drop you off. We did once use Holiday Autos to hire a car in Italy as we had a wedding to go to and a load of things to do.

I know I have varied off your opening question a bit, but as one who has towed, and does not any more, I hope I have offered a two sided view.

I will also add we had a situation in Belgium where the brakes appeared "stuck on" on the car. We had stopped for a coffee and when trying to get going again - no deal! Had to uncouple, start the car engine, move it a bit, re-couple etc.

I wrote aLink Broken a few weeks ago about or tow or not to tow thoughts.

Perhaps if you could get a used car, with the A Frame already fitted etc, this will minimise any losses financially should you decide you are not keen on towing.

Russell

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We tow our little Matiz on an A frame in UK only. Its not always such a cheap option as it appears.
The additional fuel consumption is not great but still adds up if your doing a thousand miles or so (around £50 per 1000 miles in my case), It also can add to tyre wear especially at the front, both our front tyres had to be replaced for the MOT after only about 6000 miles on the clock (another 2000+ towing which doesn't show on the clock)

If Aframes become illegal in the UK next year as is a possibility, then I shall just stop towing. If essential, car hire is pretty cheap most places, and we've never needed the car in Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back