advice on selling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camper, Mar 5, 2013.

1. camper

camper Read Only Funster

I want to sell my 61 vw 2+2 berth campervan.
    In the past I have only dealt with dealers but I'm hoping to do it this time myself.Any tips ?

I particularly need to know what methods of payment I should accept to be sure it's secure.
    All help appreciated

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi stick it on ebay with the lowest price you will accept as the starting bid or reserve :thumb:Bank transfer :thumb:
    terry

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Bank transfers can in some cases be reversed I only trust Cash. Simple and effective.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Cash can be counterfeit as well---try paying 5k into a bank only for the cashier to start putting a pile of 20s to one side saying that's not real nor that nor that :BigGrin:I stopped her counting and got the cash back minus 180s worth :Wink: only to find another 220 not right :Doh:
    Needless to say I only lost the 180 :Rofl1::BigGrin: The only way I could tell was to rip them to the silver strip :Wink:
    Terry

5. camper

camper Read Only Funster

Thats pretty damned scary! think I'll go and live down a hole!

6. Larby

Larby Funster

When I bought my MH just a year ago, (private sale) I enquired who the seller banked with. As it was Santander like me I arranged to meet them on the day of purchase at their branch of the bank. I asked the Clerk to transfer £23,000 to the seller. I produced, Passport, Driving Licence and my debit card.
    The money was transferred there and then, no hassle, no cost and NO RISK to either party. Keys handed to me on way out of the bank.
    Job done.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. kelpbeds

kelpbeds Read Only Funster

Be careful about accepting / depositing large amounts of cash. The banks can become suspicious re money laundering. Could cause you a load of hassles.

8. Larby

Larby Funster

It did cause a bit of a hold up as the recipient was a relatively new customer but safest way possible. Was going to transfer at their home by BACS but was advised it would be delayed for ML checking and personal visit and ID was best.
    Advised after calling their customer servces dept. to visit branch.
    I was well aware of the Money Laundering Act "Know your customer" as I worked for a credit company.

9. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Aside from the money issue, some advice from a current prospective buyer, based on some real-life experiences:

- clean the van! This may sound obvious, but it doesn't seem that way...I want to see it at its best, without having to use my imagination.

- strip out personal stuff. OK, if you're still using it, I'd expect to see pots n pans: but not bedding, clothing and the general junk that we all accumulate in our homes from home.

- give people time to themselves. Show it to them, stay on hand, in case of questions, then disappear! They won't talk frankly if you're hovering, and it's only if they [it's generally 'they' I suspect, not s/he] have discussed it that they'll be likely to make you an offer.

- you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you get your prince! As with selling houses, not every viewer will want to buy. But that doesn't make them 'timewasters'. Smile, through gritted teeth if need be, at every potential buyer and be as patient with the last as the first.

- wherever you advertise it, include as many pictures, and as much detail, as possible. And take pix of its most important features - close-ups of the cooker hob work for me, as they show how it's been looked after [or not...]

- discuss frankly, but try not to argue. If I suggest that maybe the tyres need replacing, as they're over 7 years old, don't suggest that I'm wrong because 'there's loads of tread on em'!

Good luck!

10. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Wouldn't bankers draft be an option? I only ask as thats the method I will probably use to pay for my new van???

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Pucka bank note checker is about a tenner..well worth it