Advice on pipe threads, BSP etc....

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by treeman, Jan 11, 2013.

1. treeman

treeman Read Only Funster

Trying to hook up a backup emergency internal water supply for my next trip in case external tank freezes. Got a 20ltr camping tank and want to run a 1/2" pipe from it to the pump. The tank has a tap which unscrews to leave a threaded hole which I would hope to connect some sort of hose pipe connector. My question is about the sizes, I've found a supplier that can do numerous BSP threaded males to a 12mm push on hose but not sure which BSP size I need. The threaded inside measures 25mm but not sure if this equates to a 3/4" BSP male or 1"?

Any one help me?

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i would think its 3/4 but a lot of plastic stuff has funny sized threads can you not try the tap you have removed up against some thing in b and q or similar

3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i would think its 3/4 but a lot of plastic stuff has funny sized threads can you not try the tap you have removed up against some thing in b and q or similar

4. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I think it is 3/4"....do you have a tap connector that you would screw to your threaded tap and connect your hose to...try that for size...most common one used is the 3/4" try it on the tap male thread... that you remove from the 20 ltr tank :thumb:

5. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

3/4" BSP has a minor diameter of 0.950" (24.13mm) and an outside diameter of 1.041" (26.44mm) and has 14 TPI.

6. treeman

Thanks for all the tips and sizes, looks like 3/4 bsp but will get the vernier gauge out and measure more accurately and will probably try the idea of taking the part into b and q too to confirm.

Thanks guys.

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Just curious as to what you will be doing?

If you are taking this tank out of the van to fill then you will need the tap on to keep the water in when you are carrying it?

If not why don't you get a nut in tank fitting with a quick fit connector. It will be cheaper and more reliable than using a threaded connector.

I know this from bitter experience doing self builds. Nut in tank is the way to go for a fast and reliable connection.

8. gpz

gpz Funster

bsp thread

if its 3/4 bsp you could try it on a washuhg macine hose as thats 3/4 bsp

9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

use a water but tap with garden hose connector works grate done it on my first van when it got to cold for my under floor tanks:thumb:

google harcoster2431005 water but garden hose connector tap

you can use it without the baking screw it will screw straght in to your water carrier :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Wouldn't it be easier to fit a tank heater?

11. treeman

What sort of money and effort is involved in that? current cost is about £6 for a connector and 10 minutes to install so would need to be cheap and easy. Guessing a tank heater would need to be on a lot of the time as tank out in the cold so do they use much electricity?

My sort of theory is spend all energy heating inside MH so me and water warm rather than trying to keep external things from freezing - does that make sense?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013