Aug 15, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
looking to start soon
Hi all,
I am in the process of finding my first motorhome, but having a small budget need some advice.
I'm looking to spend around 10 grand so obviously I'm limited to older vans, can anyone offer advice on which makes/models I should look out for and which if any I should steer clear of? Are vans of a certain age prone to a lot of problems and what should I look out for? Also how practical is it to use a motorhome during winter? (I want to be able to travel with kids in tow for several weeks at a time throughout the year)

Any advice would be very welcome, thx :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome to Fun. As you will be limited to older vans, I would recommend you stick to a German or French motorhome. That will probably mean you will have to have a left-hand drive, but that is not really a problem - we chose one deliberately. German (or possibly French) vans will be much better for year-round use as they are properly winterised. Even modern British vans leave a lot to be desired in that respect and old British vans are not good in winter.
Perhaps the biggest problem you may face is the lack of seat belts in the rear for your children. Old vans did not, as a rule, have any and it is unlikely that you can retro-fit them.
To give you an idea of what might be available, have a look at Peter Hambilton's website and look at 'Motorhome Sales' and 'Private Sales' in the left hand navigation bar.

<< Link Removed >>

Also, it is worth looking on Ebay and do a general Google search.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having just purchased another camper from Germany my FFB Tabbert 660 Classic A class 5 berth with all extras and 12 month MOT is for sale and within your budget. It comes with refillable gas bottles 160 watt solar panels, 330 amp battery bank less than 12 months old, twin fuel tanks, 500watt plus 3000 watt inverters,bike rack,back box,towbar,scooter rack,large Heki roof light,and to many options to list here. Its fully winterised and ready to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
dont be put off british vans there are alot that are winterized and good value for money.
mines 15 years old and winterized german/french vans are a money pit for spares if you can get them IE a windscreen on a A class or replacement lights or mirror's or side class.look for something van based or c class there are loads within you price range.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Definately look at older German vans if you want to use through the winter we've tried all sorts including RVs and nothing gets even close to an older German van for winter use.

Used ours in Val Thorens this year at minus 28 at night and minus 15 during the day. It was perfect, warm dry and cosy and nothing froze and the cheapest of 10 vans to keep warm even though it was the oldest, all the British made vans froze solid. Nothing wrong with a Brit van but more fit for summer than winter use.

Good luck:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dee_reamer

Free Member
Aug 15, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
looking to start soon
Thanks guys

After reading your replies and doing bit of research on best winterised MH will be looking for german or possible french model.
Now for a really stupid question :RollEyes: how can I tell if it really is well winterised? (sorry but I really am a newbie :Blush:)

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
After reading your replies and doing bit of research on best winterised MH will be looking for german or possible french model.
Now for a really stupid question :RollEyes: how can I tell if it really is well winterised? (sorry but I really am a newbie :Blush:)
in that case you might need to look at snowbirds van as i have seen this van and with all the toys its a bargin:thumb:
3rd post down on this thread:thumb:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A couple of photos. By the way its German and winterised to German standards. Double floor and all tanks and pipework inside. Its based on the Peugeot maxi chassis with the indestructible 2.5 turbo diesel.

Attachments

• Morocco 142.jpg
    Morocco 142.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Morocco 011.jpg
    Morocco 011.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Morocco 008.jpg
    Morocco 008.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Morocco 009.jpg
    Morocco 009.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dee_reamer

Free Member
Aug 15, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
looking to start soon
snowbird

your a bit far from me, have found several much closer to home, but thx :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dee_reamer

Free Member
Aug 15, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
looking to start soon
Heyupluv

can I ask, are your travelling full time in france? sorry to be nosey but just checked out the link in your post sig :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
can I ask, are your travelling full time in france? sorry to be nosey but just checked out the link in your post sig :roflmto:

Of course you can ask Dee....we live in France...House.......NOT... R/Ving as many do in there motorhome..what a life, park up where you want, when you want and change your neighbours if you want:thumb:....

We are out and about in the motorhome around 8 months of the year in and out..have to return home to paybills and the garden..and anything else:thumb:

Dee, if you require any info on the Hymer "S" class of a similar year ask JJ he has one...he will let you know if it is winterised and if you can get spares ok...also I think a few other members also have the Hymer "S" class on fun....a very good build ....also the older hymers and the older mercedes are of a better solid build than a lot of the new vans...some would say bullet proof

What is Harlow from you in Norfolk...about 100 miles go over and take a look if you have a bit of spare time....you might be pleasantly surprised

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dee_reamer

Free Member
Aug 15, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
looking to start soon
ok thx, have been looking on ebay ect and there are several hymers that are bit closer so will check those out first I think. Got to say when I have been flicking through MH ads before I skipped the hymers thinking they just looked really old and ugly :roflmto: but now I have took the time to actually look at a few I am getting to rather like the look and the inside looks good too with the shower room tending to be on the large size compared to a lot of others, so thx heyuplove ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
ok thx, have been looking on ebay ect and there are several hymers that are bit closer so will check those out first I think. Got to say when I have been flicking through MH ads before I skipped the hymers thinking they just looked really old and ugly :roflmto: but now I have took the time to actually look at a few I am getting to rather like the look and the inside looks good too with the shower room tending to be on the large size compared to a lot of others, so thx heyuplove ::bigsmile:

I didn't like the look of old Hymers either but they have really grown on me.
I aspire to own an old B584 in the next few years. Just got to save up the money.

. is a good site to search on if you are up for importing.

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I was going to say look at Snowbirds van cracking van and good value/condition but I see he has already put it on :RollEyes:

Seriously though you could do a lot worse for the same money :thumb:

All the best Rick

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I recently bought a 19 year old Hymer B694.
Have been quoted £750 for fitting of 3 seat belts, 2 on the back seat so they are forward facing a 1 on the third swivel seat which is currently a lap belt, the 3rd swivel seat is at the table so going face down in an accident wouldn't be a good idea.
Hope to get them done soon, worth it if we take the grandchildren out in it.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

What you find with the older motorhomes..they are well made, inside made of wood:thumb:.....not paper looking wood over a very very thin about a 1/32nd piece of a Mdf material :Doh:

Print a picture of the "S" Hymer and put it a the side of a normal Hymer of the same year..I think the rounded corners and roof give it more modern look...the "S" would just have the edge if I had the choice...of the two...and at that age there would not be lot of difference in the price.....I am not knocking the older Hymers...they are a good old motorhome.

Because you are just starting up look at a motorhome.... that you would get your money back after a couple of years if you decide to buy a newer motorhome or just sell up:thumb:
Mel....Heyupluv:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I consider Dave (Snowbird) to be a friend so it is difficult to be believed in situations like this but I really, really strongly suggest you talk to him about his van before going for an ebay one because it is closer.

The thing is Dave is a decent chap and what he tells you about the van will be true and not salesman rubbish.

I have drunk with the man and bought stuff from him.

JJ

ps. Don't let anyone think the disgusting slurs on this thread about the appearance of older Hymers has gone un-noticed... My Hymer 660S is the most BEAUTIFUL motorhome on earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have also seen snowbirds Van, it is in excellent condition and he is not long back from an extended trip to morocco. If I was looking for another van that is the one that would suit. In its day it was the rolls royce of motorhomes. Distance is no object when it comes to quality. Well worth the visit.

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Another make to look for would be the French Pilote. Similar to Hymer, but more available in right hand drive, and based on the Peugeot / Talbot chassis. A few on eBay under £10k

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Got to say when I have been flicking through MH ads before I skipped the hymers thinking they just looked really old and ugly :roflmto:
Hi Dee_reamer,

We can relate to that line of thinking, as we initially dismissed Hymers, due to what we thought was the "ugly shaped" front exterior. It was interior images that drew our attentions, and then seeing the MH in the flesh changed our opinions immediately.
Don't forget to look at E Class Hymers, as they were built to S Class spec, but on a Fiat Ducato chassis. Ours is a E690, equivalent in spec to the S700.

Definitely take the time to look at Dave's (Snowbird's), as it is a genuine sale. Dave looks after his FFB, and is mechanically minded, so everything will be in good working order. It looks similar to the classic Hymers, and many of the build components are the same, so quality German build and reliability are assured.
I'd rather buy off someone I had already met and engaged with, (whom also came recommended by others), than risk buying a possible "pig in a poke" from a total stranger.

Good luck with the hunt for a quality MH within your budget.

Cheers,

Jock (& Rita).

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Regarding travelling to find the right van for your needs. I have just travelled to Germany to buy my latest van as it was just what I want. The FFB which I am selling I travelled to Spain to buy it as I knew the build quality of that van. When buying an older van build quality is of the utmost importance. One thing to look out for is a one piece fibreglass roof. Very few makes have this, but it saves any damp problems. Thats why the S class Hymers and a few other makes such as FFB are always in good condition when cheaper built vans have got damp problems. Damp is the killer of any motorhome and is always the most expensive thing to put right, if it can ever be put right. More so when buying an older motorhome......Check the build quality and buyer beware. What seems like a bargain at first can become your worst nightmare if it has damp. The small patch you can see on the inside will be hiding a multitude of headaches. Dont think Oh I can just clean that patch off.

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2012
WARWICKSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Tabbert ffb 660
Exp
a few hours ago
Hi, Regarding travelling to find the right van for your needs. I have just travelled to Germany to buy my latest van as it was just what I want. The FFB which I am selling I travelled to Spain to buy it as I knew the build quality of that van. When buying an older van build quality is of the utmost importance. One thing to look out for is a one piece fibreglass roof. Very few makes have this, but it saves any damp problems. Thats why the S class Hymers and a few other makes such as FFB are always in good condition when cheaper built vans have got damp problems. Damp is the killer of any motorhome and is always the most expensive thing to put right, if it can ever be put right. More so when buying an older motorhome......Check the build quality and buyer beware. What seems like a bargain at first can become your worst nightmare if it has damp. The small patch you can see on the inside will be hiding a multitude of headaches. Dont think Oh I can just clean that patch off.

AM SOOOOOOO hopeing it doesnt go over our budget lol and we can be the next owner of it mate
regards terry and sue:thumb:

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
parts for the fiat ducato highwayman and bedouin are not as easy to come by but if you get a good damp free one it is worth seriously considering.

just make sure whatever you buy you have it fully inspected including a habitation check first.

Spend a little extra to avoid losing a lot xxxx

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back