Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Can anyone advise me please. I am looking for a new GPS to replace my ageing (on its third battery) TomTom XXL. My problem is that I am accustomed to downloading POI files from the web along with their bitmap logos and inserting them into my maps folder in order that the logos appear as we drive along. This works extraordinarily well. However when I look into a new satnav and ask the question as to whether I can do this I am always told NO.

Does anyone know of a decent satnav, or indeed a satnav system for use with a tablet, that will accept these files and display the logos. I know that systems such as Osmand+ will accept the files but will only display the favourite symbol which is absolutely no use whatsoever when there are up to 50 different types.

Help!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Run CoPilot on a tablet. Search fun for all the threads on this very user friendly and versatile app.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Harryr

It is quite right that the current Nav4 units from Tomtom do not enable you to view POI's on the Map other than whilst in search mode. There has been a lot of complaints about this however it would appear that things could be about to change. Here is a statement by a TT employee on one of their forums.

"As stated previously, POI improvements are on the way. We are pleased to confirm that first up will be the "community POIs shown in driving view" function that has been heavily requested.

At the moment we don't have an exact date for when exactly these improvements will be available as there hasn't been a set date for the next software release. However, it is planned for early next year.
We will update you on exactly when and what will be included in the update when we have more information."

Regarding the Garmins maybe GJH (Graham) can outline exactly what and how many POI's the Garmins will display and what if anything you will need to do to load the same files as you currently have. This would enable you to make a decision in that direction if you want to.

Doug

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Regarding the Garmins maybe GJH (Graham) can outline exactly what and how many POI's the Garmins will display and what if anything you will need to do to load the same files as you currently have. This would enable you to make a decision in that direction if you want to.
I have 16 different types, covering thousands of individual POIs, on my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D. My own MH parking set contains 2275. The user manual doesn't mention any limits.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Some info on Garmin POI Loader here -

OP
OP
H

Harryr

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
OH well, that was nice of it. I had just written my reply to you all and my web connection dropped out. Now, some two hours later, having had that snooze and my dinner it has just come back.

Thanks all!

Hi GJH so far my researches say they will not but I shall try a direct contact with the manufacturers. I just had a count up and what with all the different types of aires and stellplatz and supermarkets and pubs that we use, it comes to 109 different types and there are well over 2000 stellplatz in Germany alone. However I shall read the manual on one.

Hi Sallylillian, I tried CoPilot a while ago and it did not do what I wanted. I got my money back. Maybe it does now, though, so some more research is called for.

Thanks Doug, I shall watch TomTom with interest. It is my wife who watches the satnav and she likes TomTom. I have a tablet alongside me with Osmand+ and gps/glonas on it as a fantastic moving map. We do it that way as I do not, instantly, know left from right when I hear the words, especially on the continent, so she translates, your side/my side for me.

Thank you Gellyneck, wow there are some great names here, when I have had a much needed snooze I shall look at that,

Yours Harryr

OP
OP
H

Harryr

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Hi again Gellyneck,

So far as I can ascertain it does not show the bitmap on the screen as my old TomTom does. This makes it less than useful. It might be OK but the spec is insufficiently specific for me to be able to tell with any certainty. The situation I have now is such that suppose I pass within a mile or two of a Tesco store, the logo of Tesco pops up on the screen in the correct location and we know it is coming up in sufficient time for us to decide whether or not we wish to stop.

Harryr

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Similar to @GJH, I have the 6" version. Garmin 660 Camper LTM and obviously depending which supermarkets you like, you can designate. For example, I wanted L'eclerc in France and Lidl and they'd pop up.

OP
OP
H

Harryr

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for the reply EX51SSS. What "pops up" ? Is it the store logo or what.

Funnily enough E Leclerc, whose gazoil stations are often highly motorhome unfriendly anyway, did not, when I last asked them direct, provide a co-ord database of their stores so they are one I do not have but there are plenty of others anyway.

Harryr

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for the reply EX51SSS. What "pops up" ? Is it the store logo or what.

Funnily enough E Leclerc, whose gazoil stations are often highly motorhome unfriendly anyway, did not, when I last asked them direct, provide a co-ord database of their stores so they are one I do not have but there are plenty of others anyway.

Harryr
Their logo pops up, as does service stations. Plus there is a 'nearby' part.
Strangely enough, generally I've found the E L' eclerc are usually friendly enough for my Moho but possibly maybe not for larger ones but certainly for ours.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi again Gellyneck,

So far as I can ascertain it does not show the bitmap on the screen as my old TomTom does. This makes it less than useful. It might be OK but the spec is insufficiently specific for me to be able to tell with any certainty. The situation I have now is such that suppose I pass within a mile or two of a Tesco store, the logo of Tesco pops up on the screen in the correct location and we know it is coming up in sufficient time for us to decide whether or not we wish to stop.

Harryr

Not sure if this page covers your question \ issue? Link Removed

Specific text from there -

Custom Icons
Custom icons can be used with POIs on a device. The icons display on the map to mark a POIs location. The POI Loader integrates the .bmp image file into the .gpi while loading. Custom image files must be in the same directory as the .csv or .gpx files for POI Loader to process them correctly. The image must also be in the proper format, size, and color palette:

• Format .bmp file type
  • 8 or 16 bit RGB color palette
  • 24x24 pixels in size
  • Transparency color is magenta RGB: R=255, G=0, B=255
  • The name must be identical to the .csv or .gpx file
BaseCamp can add a custom icon to an individual point in the waypoint properties window.

1. Double-click a waypoint to open the properties window
  2. Click the Notes tab
  3. Click Add File button
  4. Browse to the image file
  5. Click Open
  6. When asked to create a new geotagged photo choose No.
When POI Loader processes the exported .gpx file it will include the file in the .gpi file on the device.

Reactions: DJA

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back