Advice on buying a camera.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Solly, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Solly

Solly Funster

I'm looking to buy a camera ( present from wife) Basically I have very little experience of cameras. I had an Olympus SLR many years ago but never really had the time to use it fully. I'm now retired and looking to develop a new hobby so want something that has potential to develop from basic understanding a bit more sophisticated photography. In addition I don't want to lug loads of gear about. "laziness" is my retirement watchword. I have 2 possibilities, however advice on others possibilities would be welcome. (a) Fuji XE 1. Looks like it as loads of potential but maybe complecated ( b) Samsung NX 300.I have to say I'm not sure about WiFi on Samsung, also lack of viewfinder. However it does in my limited knowledge seem to have a reasonable spec.
    Any advice would be very welcome
    Solly

2. Speve

Speve Funster

My missus gave me a Nikkon D3100 couple of years back its not a bad camera and takes good pickies comes with a good self adjusting lens as well so to start with it's like an automatic as you get used to it you can start doing all the things the pros do and get some quite good results.(y)

3. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

A bit like motorhomes in that choice is very personal, whatever you are most comfortable with.

Having had a number of cameras over the years I now do not want to carry stuff about and insist on a small compact. But I also like a powerful zoom, and a viewfinder for bright light.

Bought a Panasonic TZ60 recently, its brilliant. Despite being very small it has a 30* zoom, a viewfinder, very powerful auto, but still full manual if you want it, and can save in RAW .

4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you've still got the SLR kit, consider selling the lenses on eBay to subsidise your new camera. The Buy It Now prices for good condition SLR lenses by leading makers like Olympus are worth looking at.

You'll get as many different camera recommendations as there are users on here, but my reservation about the two you mention are they only have rear-mounted LED screens which become difficult to see on bright days. I find them infuriating myself. If you want to become more sophisticated in what you photograph I'd personally recommend something with an optical viewfinder rather than just a rear screen, but I'm sure others will contradict that.

5. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

whats the budget...I'll ask someone I know thats in the business (has a few shops)

6. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

In a similar situation yourself, I've just bought a secondhand Lumix GF2 on the recommendation of another Funster on another thread.
    It might be worth a look at some of the reviews on Google.
    As has been said, there is an enormous range to choose from.

7. Judge Mental

I think thats what I've got....

8. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

I Still have the odd look at the slides from my old Zenit SLR there must be loads around in peoples back room/attic.
    I used a small digi camera as they,re so handy these days also had a nikon D40 SLR for years which has given me some great results but fancied an upgrade.
    Delivered today Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit plus Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens treated myself while I can afford it before retirement next year.There is a dummies guide for this model.
    Good luck in your search.

9. Solly

Solly Funster

Wow what prompt responses Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble. In answer to Judgementle my budget is about £500-00. I should say my wife's budget I'm not allowed to spend in case it encroaches on her clothing spend. Am I the only man with a wife that continually needs new jeans and tops ? :)

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A shade over your budget is the Olympus OMD M10 which I bought this year. You can get a pancake zoom for it which makes it a very compact little camera. I have a different lens for mine although it has the same zoom range as the pancake.
    It has a rear lcd screen and a viewfinder, which is also lcd but works brilliantly and is as good as an optical viewfinder with the added advantage of tricks like highlighting the exact point of focus.
    If you look in the blogs section and find our Two Plus Dog entry all the pictures in it were taken with this camera, the only odd one is the picture of the vultures which was taken with a 150 - 300 zoom, which on a four thirds camera is the equivalent of 300 - 600mm on a 35mm camera.

I didn't buy mine from these folk but this is the camera: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...ef_id=USzGGwAABaOeVhu4:20141204173639:s#cat-0

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

If you think your wife may wish to upgrade in the future, then I would suggest buying second hand .. hence a better quality camera than that amount of money could buy new. Gaz43 may be able to help you if you pm him. :)

12. Judge Mental

They can be trained..if not there is always euthanasia. I started wife's training by banning tv soaps...works for us! She now knows who's the boss! Mind you haven't had a BJ since:(

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Wino

The Wino Funster

If you get it at currys don't forget you can but a currys gift card at morrisons and get 10p a litre off next time you fill up for every £100 gift card (and still get the same price on the camera)

14. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Brownie 127, you just cant beat em ! trouble is no one develops the film roll anymore.
    Phil

• Like Like x 2
  15. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

If you're thinking of buying online beware of the "grey import" sites. If you see what you want advertised at a much lower price than elsewhere be very careful. If you buy from one of these sites you have absolutely no warranty cover or support at all if something goes wrong. These people also tend to have no physical UK/EU presence so you can also forget about Trading Standards and the Distance Selling Regs.

For checking prices Wex Photographic and John Lewis are usually the best guides. If anyone is undercutting either of them significantly then alarm bells should ring.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Before you go jumping feet first into another SLR have a look at bridge cameras first, they can do a lot that an SLR can and have fantastic optical zooms and great picture quality. I bet you use one of the far more than you would any SLR, if you then find you still want an SLR then you will at least have a great general use easy to lug around camera. The only real downside with bridge cameras is that they have a slight delay on the shutter so aren't always good for fast action shots.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Or a "four thirds" is worth a look too

• Like Like x 1
  18. Solly

Solly Funster

Thanks again every body particularly Devonbeekeeper. The Olympus you recommend looks great now I've got three choices :-( :))
    solly

• Like Like x 1
  19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Oh yes they do, and the film's still available from Croatia but it's £10 a roll.

I've got quite a few of those cameras - nice-looking but (sadly) not especially valuable.

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Yes, I've got one, and Olympus E-450 with the same benefits/quality etc as the full sized SLRs but not so big and heavy ... still can't' get my head round why they call it "four thirds" though! :rolleyes: