Advice needed (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
A bit of advice needed on my car insurance. I had a bit of a coming together with another car on a small roundabout in the snow a couple of weeks ago, basically the other guy had already slide off the road into a wall and I came around and slide sideways into the back of him:Doh:. I think his car was probably already a write off and i suffered lightly dented doors on the near side.

My question is, is this knock for knock and if I didn't want my insurance involved how should I approach this?:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Legally wise

Legally wise you are required to advise your insurance company of the damage only issue.

The situation if you claimed I suspect would be kick for knock ... unless the other side claimed you injured them by your driving.

But strictly I would advise them... the other driver may say you caused more damage by shunting him forward.

Bob (but what do I know... only a retired lawyer):Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That incident has some similarity to our collisions. We reported both collisions to the insurance company and left them to sort out the details. For some reason the cheque we received when the van was written off had the reference number for the second collision.

We were told that it was the combined total of the damage which resulted in the decision to write off rather than repair so, presumably, our insurance company would recharge the insurers of both the drivers who collided with the van.

In your case I would expect that the company covering the other vehicle would want details of both incidents before deciding on what action to take.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Bob
Thanks for that, are you saying I should tell my insurance but as long as no claims are made it will make no difference to my future quotes? he cannot claim for injuries as he was out of the car walking around:winky:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Graham
Thanks to you also, the reason for not wanting any claims is I already have 3 in the last 4 years and as I have three vehicles to insure it is already high enough thanks:cry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
firstly check if the other driver is claiming against you, as legally you were to blame and hit a stationary vehicle. If he is, let your insurance sort it, if not just get the car repaired. Unless its going to be too expensive

Sounds like youve had a run of bad luck with that many bumps in a few years, or is it your driving?:ROFLMAO:

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
Hi Bob
Thanks for that, are you saying I should tell my insurance but as long as no claims are made it will make no difference to my future quotes? he cannot claim for injuries as he was out of the car walking around:winky:

If you notify an insurance company of an accident but don't claim you can still expect a different quote on renewal. At least it did when my wife was in that situation. I have heard it said that some insurance companies take the view that if you have had one accident (whether you claim or not) you are a driver with increased possibility of having another.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sounds like youve had a run of bad luck with that many bumps in a few years, or is it your driving?:ROFLMAO:

A bit of both I guess:Blush:, although in my defence I do about three to four times more miles than average and am driving most of the day, but i am getting a bit a paranoid:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Many years ago I was taught to drive by a police advanced training instructor. Part of the course was to know and understand the way the rules work against a driver. Its the same if you hit somebody in the rear when they brake hard. Your vehicle did the colliding. Ultimately right of way belongs to the vehicle in front and it is up to you to allow appropriate distance to avoid hitting them.

I have seen a case where a driver hit a van badly parked half on the pavement. He tried to claim the van was at fault for illegally parking and obstructing the road. It even went as far as court as the guy refused to accept responsibility. Guess what....he lost

Not all the rules are there to help drivers and certainly not all make complete sense. We all want to blame somebody when shit happens, but truth is we always have a share in the blame. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
as legally you were to blame and hit a stationary vehicle.
How did you come to this conclusion? is this fact or your or your slant on it?

In our case both incidents were the result of the other drivers colliding with our stationary vehicle after they skidded on ice. They accepted liability in both cases (didn't have any option :Smile:)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
In our case both incidents were the result of the other drivers colliding with our stationary vehicle after they skidded on ice. They accepted liability in both cases (didn't have any option :Smile:)

Thanks Graham but at least your car was parked legally, not stuck out arse first into the road as result of a crash:Sad:

ya see this is how my luck goes:Doh:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
whatever happens if u involve your insurance company you will be out of pocket
if he is not claiming from you then let it goes is the best thing remember insurance companies are only there to shaft you as soon as anyone makes a claim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back