Advice needed to start on my motor home journey (1 Viewer)

Mrs M

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone wonder if you could kindly set me on the right road.

My husband and I are completely new to motor homes and don't want to walk into buying one blind so any help and advice would be much appreciated.
We are seasoned campers (tents) and after many an envious moment setting a tent up in the rain and watching motor homes just pull up and well that's pretty much it (from our unknowing point of view, there probably is some kind of setting up involved) we have decided to swap the tent for a what seems more convenient mobile home. We have two children and a large dog so would need something big enough to cater us all. Our top end budget is £8000 but would rather spend between £4000 or £6000. Obviously we're looking for a second hand motor home but want to get something that is known to be reliable or that has parts readily available if needed. Any suggestions for makes and models please?

Thanks in advance

Cat

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Most would say hire a van for a weekend. This will ensure you are okay with driving a larger vehicle and let you experience the concept of motorhome ownership.

After a couple if days you'll also get an understanding of what layout suits your needs.

As for reliability they are all built on a chassis designed for high mileage so there are no real issues in this regard. Reliability of equipment in the habitation is another thing. Some owners look after there motorhomes more than others so shop around to get something previous owners have loved.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
unfortunately your budget is going to be what limits what is available to you. The vast majority of older vans were built on the same chassis with different badges, whether Fiat ducato, Citroen c25, or Peugeot boxer. Earlier vans had gear linkage issues and the usual rust, but well cared for models are worth paying extra for.

with the size of your family with children and dogs, a coachbuilt would be best value. don't rule out foreign vans if you're prepared to drive a left hand drive. you get more for your money that way.

nobody can say with certainty that you should buy any particular make or model, we all want different things. be careful though as your budget will put you at risk of getting offered damp vans. if they are, just walk away or better still run, they are a money pit. also watch out for scams as seen often on EBay.... if it looks like a bargain be very careful. motorhomes really hold their value so even what many consider as an old one make good money

buy sensibly and its a whole different way of living to sleeping under canvas. so much easier and son much FUN:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Get a monthly Motorhome magazine, to learn the language, rent a MH, for some practical experience and visit as many MH shows as you can, to find a layout you like. Then, start looking for your dream!
Good luck
Ed

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi if I was you I'd get along to a large dealer and spend the day looking in all different makes and layouts even ones above your budget just so you can work out what layout suits you best. If your going to use in the uk more then you need to think about a dark wet winter night if your all stuck inside.

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Go no further than your own back door !!

I see you live in Kent !!!!

Get yer bum down to Johns Cross Motors ! See his ad on the right !!:thumb:

Advice freely given from a Trader Funster and completely reliable unlike some charlatans out there !!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back