Advice needed re Thetford 3 way fridge-on but not getting cold (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
Hi just joined here after meeting a great bunch at Southport over the weekend. Yesterday on our way home we noticed that the fridge wasn't cooling. It lights up inside and the control panel is lit. The only thing we did was, we put it on charge the night before we went away... but it was on our sloping drive, could this have damaged it? We've only just bought the camper secondhand, from a dealer in Wales,would the dealer help or do we take it to a local repair shop in Salford area? Thank you in advance

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
3 way Fridges generally dont cool whilst running off 12v, it just maintains(sort of) the temperature it was at when the 12v came on.

Was it working OK on the 240v at home? or on gas at Southport?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ann&MikeMancs
Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for replying. Now we look back I don't think it was working as the milk and (beers) wernt cold! We had put it on charge the night before we left home.......may have to contact the dealer eh? Thank you

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As you are probably aware the 12v only works whilst the engine is running and is not able to be used while stationary.
If it is working on gas then it may be that either the 12v or 230v element has died ... if so easy to replace but the fridge may have to come out of its housing.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Thetford 3 way fridge and a sloping driveway. When parked up at home my fridge does not cool on EHU or Gas. But as soon as I'm parked up on the flat it works fine on both.

Might be worth seeing if you can get it parked level and see if it will work.

It's on my to do list to make some substantial levelling blocks for when I'm parked up at home.

At the moment I put a 2 litre carton of frozen water in the fridge overnight to cool it down before loading up and heading off with it running on 12v.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ann&MikeMancs
Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone for your kind advice....result of engineers visit-we r awaiting a new fridge being fitted on Friday, under our 12 month dealers warranty... Not sure what the fault was-I will update after Friday, but you were right - it didn't like being on a sloping drive when being charged(ehu)

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Thetford fridge in our van is VERY tilt sensitive.

Works great when level!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back