Advice Needed Re: Repeated Flat Tyre (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Can I pick your brains,
I have a transit base duetto 1997, the front near side tyre was flat so I took it and had it checked - and was told there was nothing wrong with the tyre.
They resealed it pumped it up and Put it back on. The next morning
It went flat again - checked again in a different garage, again they couldn't find anything wrong.
It happened a third time and returned to first garage, they had the van all day it was fine I drove home and it was down in the morning. They
Suggested that I take it to an alloy place to ensure rust is gone and have it cleaned up. ( I have a nice shiny wheel)

I'm on my own and after three flats I left the spare on. Not being able to face it possibly going down anymore.( I had no car this week and was using van for work)
Two weeks later---
The daughter and son in law borrow van and bugger me the spare looks flat they pump it up and the following day its down again.
Is this just bad luck or could there be something else going on.

I want to try out my new shiny wheel and tyre but as I've no male in the house swapping over tyres on a van is not a quick easy job and I don't want to do it on my own. I can do it on my car but jacking up the van is stressful.
I have 600 miles to do in a couple of weeks help!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Is it possible that someone is letting it down(kids)?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Cracked rim?
Spray soapy water around the inside of the well and look for bubbles.
I had a cracked weld on one of the wheels of my work van only 2 months ago. It went down daily and took a bit of finding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
I did think about kids but it also happened with spare whilst away? Umm how much are the cheap spy cameras?

Maybe it is just a set of unfortunate events. I'll get the son in law to put the " proper" shiny wheel back on and try out that one again.
Are slow leaks more likely in vans that aren't used much?

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
do you have breakdown cover if so get them to change it

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
Had the same problem on my car, small cracking on the inside of the rim had it welded no more problems

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
If the tyre company has checked the tyre properly with soapy water and are sure 100% that it is not the tyre then I'm pretty sure it will be either the base of the valve,or there will be a hairline crack in the wheel.if that is the case then I definately wouldn't weld the wheel but get another wheel.there will be plenty on e-bay.
Brian & Jo

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
:cool: AProblem with alloy wheels . I saw one in Italy which had been on minibus just disintegrated , I would stick with steel especially heavy vehicles .

Deleted User
At the moment I have a crack in an alloy wheel off the caravan, this was only detected by a full immersion in a proper tank at a good tyre fitters. I think this was caused by stress when using the motormovers on the caravan to slew round on one wheel. There are firms that refurbish and weld alloy wheels.

Why the same thing should happen to the spare is a mystery though.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In the old days you could fit an inner tube and that sorted out any rim or wheel leaks.

I dare say I am a bit out of date these days though!

(Just had to do this on the rusty old wheel of my Lawnflite ride on mower.)

JJ :cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In the old days you could fit an inner tube and that sorted out any rim or wheel leaks.

I dare say I am a bit out of date these days though!

(Just had to do this on the rusty old wheel of my Lawnflite ride on mower.)

Cant fit tubes in tubeless tyres these days JJ....they rub through in no time

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Soapy water my arse.

What happened to the old fashioned tyre bath....total submersion will find any leaks, no matter where in the tyre or rim.
Exactly. Or take it in doors & fill bath & try in there.

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
They said they did immerse it, and my mistake in misleading folks I have steel but it's been checked, cleaned and sprayed at an alloy place, so it looks a bit posh.
But I decided to bite the bullet and put the posh shiny one on and see what happens.
Perhaps rig the van so anyone gets electrocuted if the let it down.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Now I've found the shop I can suggest you buy some of Jim's special tyre pressure alarms, but having found the item in the shop atLink Removed when I clicked on the ad the page failed to load.... Might be my stone age computer, you may be able to load the page!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Soapy water my arse.

What happened to the old fashioned tyre bath....total submersion will find any leaks, no matter where in the tyre or rim.
Yes John soapy water----------it's in the tyre bath:rolleyes::p
And people wonder why I don't get involved with tyre threads:whistle:
Brian & Jo

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
When I had my old Peugeot 405 estate with alloy wheels
I used to have to pump the tyres up continually due to leaky tyre valves. Hope you manage to solve the problem soon.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
As a last resort why not inject with the instant repair kit some vehicles come with, instead of a spare wheel, the jungle juice you squirt in thro the valve having removed the valve core first (never used it but I think you remove the core) anyway it should seal porous tyres/wheels and rims.

Just a thought :)

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Hi folks I thought I would update you, I thought this is too stressful with the Scotland journey coming up so drove to scrap yard to get a different wheel. The young lad couldn't even tell if my tyres were alloy or steel. So I ran away from there.
They had a steel wheel but no tyres my size.
Drove to a recommended http://www.headleytyres.co.uk between Newbury and Basingstoke, after chatting on the phone. After three different establishments found nothing, They found the leak ,and as I suspected a leak in the spare, also pointed out that the spare I was driving on is twenty years old, so two new tyres and I hope they both stay up.
They also explained that the original wheels had been removed and a smaller size 14in alloy was put on.
What a difference having experienced fitters makes.

Now to tackle the fridge,

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Cripes... I hope I don't get a blowout on my lawn mower... I sometimes get up to 1 mph (down the slope).

glad to see you have found the problem :party::party:
i detest problems with tyres and wheels
it always costs a new tyre whenever it happens to me:wink:

red ones are a cause for concern

but customised blue ones seem not to be a problem
my sons on the lookout for a claret and blue one
for some reason

:wink::welc::blush::blush:

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Soapy water my arse.

Health and safety, water goes stagnant, risk of legionnaires disease.
Have heard of someone that had constant problems with the bead seal. He put in some puncture sealant which then sealed the leak.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back