Advice needed re Fiamma awning problem (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi All

I am hoping that you funsters can give me some advice or your thoughts about the following issue.

Our friends bought a new Fiamma awning for their motorhome about 2 months ago. It was fitted by a local motorhome/caravan repair place.

Unfortunately, the awning got caught by a gust of wind, and flipped over the van. One of the legs came off and the awning fabric got ripped by the leg. The awning does not fully retract in to the housing now. They repaired the fabric themselves and re assembled the leg which didn't look damaged. The awning was fully pegged down, although the straps weren't fitted yet. The wind wasn't excessive. Once it was repaired they put the awning out again and attached the privacy room, pegged and strapped it down. The next time there was a bit of wind the whole thing collapsed because the plastic part that attaches the leg to the awning rail failed.

They went back to the dealer and explained the situation. He has ordered the new part for them, but is going to charge them full price. He says the damage was caused by "An Act of God" and is not covered under the warranty.

What do you guys think? My feeling is that the awning is "not fit for purpose" if it is so fragile. I know that the awning flipped and they were lucky that the van wasn't damaged as well, but it was fitted and pegged down according to the manufacturers instructions and it was not particularly windy. The van is sited in a valley and usually quite sheltered.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I wanted to explain the situation fully. The new part is not that expensive, but it's the principle of the thing. Fiamma is expensive and should be more robust than that surely?

Karen

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have had several awnings and privacy rooms with some over the years and the fact is they are fragile and you have to strap them down well if you want them to survive, these where on Merc sprinter vans.
I am a newbie having been a caravaner for 30 years and the MH I bought in the autumn has a Omnistore awning fitted and I am about to have that removed and a made to measure awning and room fitted by the Awning Company I think they may be known a G&H awnings, they are huge in the Motor Cycle show world and are far superior in quality and they have a reputation of lasting and not flying away in the first breeze to come along.
Downside of course is that they cost more !!
In all the instructions I have seen it states " if its windy put it away"

Dave

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welll.. to be absolutely fair to the dealer it was not his fault the awning flipped..

I would suggest it was not pegged down quite as well as it might have been truth be told.. ( sorry .. )

As a by the by I use 2 deep pegs in each leg, put at a 45 degree opposing angle.. And if it is even slightly breezy, the other half hangs on to the awning until I get the straps on

I would say put it down to experience and buy some really good squirly pegs as most of us have done over the years :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
some motorhome insurance companies cover awnings for wind damage worth checking

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the dealer has no control over how the awning was/is used and i wouldn't expect them to pay for repairs.

pegs in the foot plates are not enough and proper storm straps with long anchors set at an angle to the legs should be used.

the replacement knuckle joints should now be aluminium, not plastic.

and the pic in Peters link is asking for trouble.

the pegs should be driven all the way down into the ground....not left with 6" sticking out, they will pull out if you sneeze !

Fiamma_awning_strap__66490_zoom.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
leaving a peg sticking out like that attached to a strap is as pointed out asking for trouble. Could injure anyone within range or seriously damage the van and awning

As for the OP, there is nothing in the manual to stop people being ridiculous either. so expecting 8 or more square meters of fabric to be held down by a couple of flimsy pegs is really down to the lack of common sense of the user. No way is this the fault of the supplier/installer, much as its not the garage that sold you a car's fault if you drive badly and crash it

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And once again, to be fair, although it might be wise to add some text to the effect, the pegs in the picture have probably been left sticking out to show what they are..

We sell replacement oil lines.. The picture we use is just generic.. just little short things in a packet

We do get asked an awful lot if they are what we are selling !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back